Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Cast bullets for deer 357 revolver

Cast bullets for deer 357 revolver

I have some 158 gr lrfn and 180 gr truncated cast . Will either of these work for deer. And I do not have any h110...I have 2400,lilgun,cfepistol, unique,longshot.bluedot..etc. 6 inch S&W revolver with a red dot. I figure from o to 60 yards at the most. Would appreciate any thoughts on this.. Thanks
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling

Of course they will kill a deer quite well if they are placed correctly. Personally I would limit shots to 25 yards or less but that is my own skill level. Any of those powders can be used to build an effective load for a 357.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hitting paper well at 60 yards isn't the same as killing at 60 yards. I'm spitting in the dark here, as I don't know the answer to your question. Just a consideration that the effectiveness of the round drops off as the speed drops off. What would your impact speeds be at those distances? I'm a fair handgunner, but limit my .44 mag to around 30 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm sure it'll do fine if placed correctly. The deer here are tiny compared to my home state (Illinois), and so I planned to use a hollow point bullet for my deer hunt this year. I changed my mind though and I'm likely going to use a more traditional rifle cartridge instead.

Boolit Buddy
    I like 2400 powder. Which bullet shoots the best? As long as you don't get excited I see no differance between shootting paper or deer. It is all in shoot placement. If you have the ability I see no problems with a 60 yard shot. Good luck and have fun.
    Steve

Moderator Emeritus

If you can put all your shots in a volleyball I would be OK with a 50-60 yard max range. I would prefer a WFN such as NOE's 160 or 180 but that wouldn't keep me home.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    As long as each boolit has a reasonable meplat, they will both do just fine. I would figure out which one is the most accurate with a full power load and go with that.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    That NOE 180 WFN is probably the best hunting boolit I have seen for the 357 revolver but the Lyman 173 Lyman Keith style is right there with it. Both on paper have a lot more power than the 45 cal PRB (about 130 gr) that I use in my muzzleloader which has put a lot of venison in my freezer with no field losses (knock on wood) in the last 30 years. There is nothing wrong with the 158 gr SWC out to 50 yards either if you do your part.

Boolit Buddy
    Quilbilly what loads do you use in your 45 cal muzzleloader? I just had my 40 cal bored out to 45 and am unsure of how much powder I'd need for a deer load.

Boolit Bub
    Use which ever is most accurate in your gun and wait for the broadside double lung shot. I've killed dozens with the 358429 in the 357 over max loads of h110