Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: What’s a good practice load for S&W M642.

Boolit Bub

What’s a good practice load for S&W M642.

I just bought a M642 and would like your opinions on a good load for both practice and self defense. I have Lyman 35891, 358311, 358156 and 358429 moulds. I also have an H&G 50.356 mould (no, it’s not for sale). I realize with the short barrel complete combustion will be a problem.

Thanks
    Last edited by winshooter; 08-25-2021 at 12:34 AM.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur

Retired Navy (1966-2004)
    NRA Life member (1994)
    CRPA member
    SBR&GC member

Boolit Master
    I have two S&W 642's both get fed either 158SWC or 160 RN cast bullets for practice. This particular grain weight range, shoots to POA with the fixed sights. The RN style are easier to load when using speed loaders. I like either Bullseye or Unique for my 38 Special handloads. Data for each can be found in Lyman's Cast Bullet handbook. Since the 642 is an alloy framed firearm, a steady diet of +P loads isn't recommended. I don't use cast bullet loads for self defense. I leave it up to the factory to develop the optimum loadings for social work. After all, they have better equipment and ballisticians than we. There are factory loads available, specifically designed for short barrels.

Winelover

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    I have two S&W 642's both get fed either 158SWC or 160 RN cast bullets for practice. This particular grain weight range, shoots to POA with the fixed sights. The RN style are easier to load when using speed loaders. I like either Bullseye or Unique for my 38 Special handloads. Data for each can be found in Lyman's Cast Bullet handbook. Since the 642 is an alloy framed firearm, a steady diet of +P loads isn't recommended. I don't use cast bullet loads for self defense. I leave it up to the factory to develop the optimum loadings for social work. After all, they have better equipment and ballisticians than we. There are factory loads available, specifically designed for short barrels.

Winelover
    Good advice using RN since I carry a speed strip in my pocket for those JIC moments. Same for using factory ammo for self defense.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retired Navy (1966-2004)
    NRA Life member (1994)
    CRPA member
    SBR&GC member

A brother-in-law bought one for my wife's sister. She didn't care to shoot any factory loads: one was enough because they stung her hand.
    I started out with a practice load that would encourage her to shoot. The Lyman 358345 115 gr. (mine weigh 120) or the MP-360-115RN (mine weigh 120). over3.0 gr. of WST did the trick. Eventually we worked up to 3.5 gr..

The MP360-130 within the same 3.0-3.5 gr. range of WST works even better with only a slight difference in recoil.

The Lyman 358477 or the Lee 150 RN over 3.5 of WST would be an starting point for a carry load.

Those are nice little guns & can be smoothed-up with very little effort.

Henry

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Henry!!

Retired Navy (1966-2004)
    NRA Life member (1994)
    CRPA member
    SBR&GC member

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    What powders is do you have available to load with? I like the 172 grain keith bullet 358429 with three grains of Alliant Red Dot as a practice load.

To reduce recoil use a lighter weight bullet, to increase power use a heavier bullet.

Somewhere on that range you're going to find where point of aim equals point of impact at a particular distance.

The heavier bullets will strike the target higher, the lighter bullets will strike the target lower.

If yours is the double action only model with the Tiny boot grips I would recommend getting a grip strength exerciser and squeezing it when you are idle or stuck in traffic.

It will help you shoot better and protect your hands from being hurt by the guns snappiness if you experiment with heavier loads.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    My J-frame practice load is the 358-311 over a starting load of a fast burning powder. Not knowing what you have available makes it hard to be specific, but I use mostly 3.5 grains of WW-231 nowadays. But I have used 3.0-3.2 grains of Red Dot, Bullseye, AA-2 and Titegroup, depending on what I had available. 2.7 grains of Titewad or Clays also work.

There is a school of thought which says to train with what you carry, but either I am not that rich or I need more practice than most to maintain skill. Then too, if your gun hurts you, you won't practice. I recommend mild loads, especially for new shooters, to avoid learning (and then having to un-learn) to flinch. My personal practice is to shoot 30 to 50 practice rounds and then two cylinders of my carry loads. If I shoot much more, my vision becomes fatigued and the sights get blurry, so I switch to something else, usually a 22 scoped rifle or a PCC lever gun for a while. I may then take a break and fire another 20-30 rounds before packing it up. I do this a couple times a month.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 08-26-2021 at 11:52 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

For my 2" 38 I use 124 gr JHP for SD and 125 gr. cast for practice, (mostly. I like reloading so I experiment with a lot of diferent loads.). Both shoot to the same POI and very close recoil.

FWIW, I saw a video of "Grandpa's Load", 160 gr, LRN vs a meat target. Results were pretty interesting.Good damage to "skin", pecs, ribs, "lung tissue" more ribs and good penetration into fleece backstop. Seems Grandpa's ammo wasn't as anemic as some say...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    2.5 grains of Clays or 2.8 grains of Red Dot seems to be a cross between a mild load for an old Colt Official Police that is comfortable to shoot and enough that the 4.5 or 5 inch barrel makes use of it for speed. For a shorter barrel, increase about .3 grains for speed. Seems to work well for me without punishing me. Im younger and not recoil sensitive, but I shoot a lot and appreciate the in between loads.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a 158gr. RCBS RN since 642's and 36's are regulated with a 158 bullet and load it ahead of 3.7 Clays. It gives me 775fps and centered shots. It also shoots great out of my S&W model 10.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36 642.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	287915
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks all. I have red dot and clays along RN and wad cutter moulds. I plan on light loads for practice along with +p loads occasionally just so I don’t forget what my carry loads feel like. Now it’s time to start making boolits and work up a few loads.
    Thanks again for all the recommendations.

Retired Navy (1966-2004)
    NRA Life member (1994)
    CRPA member
    SBR&GC member

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Hows the load workups work out? Do the test loads shoot to the sights?

Boolit Bub
    I like using 2.7 gr of Clays with the RN 358311. Its a starting load but It’s accurate for me and fairly comfortable even with the stock grips. I went to a little larger rubber grip that’s more hand filling and it’s very comfortable to shoot now. I also have a Thompson designed 358156 mould but haven’t got around to getting gas checks for it yet.

Mike

Retired Navy (1966-2004)
    NRA Life member (1994)
    CRPA member
    SBR&GC member