RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: 9 mm molds

Boolit Mold

9 mm molds

I just started casting and I am looking for a 9mm 147gr rn and 165gr rn mold.
    Hopefully 6 cavity. This is the bullet weight I have been shooting for years and would
    like to keep it the same.
    Thanks for your help

9mm Luger or one of the other 20 pistol cartridges in 9mm.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm looking for the same thing as you. For the time being, I'm shooting the 125 grain lee round nose bullet.

Boolit Mold
    9MM LUGER
    Thanks

If you powder coat this one might fit you https://www.mp-molds.com/product/9mm...rass-nlg-mold/

Lyman. 358311 Load data - https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...#post-11812699

See post 25

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for the information.
    I am powder coating so I think those molds are to big. I think that 356 would be the best maybe .357, I'm not sure.
    I would resize after I powder coat, so wouldn't I want a smaller mold so I don't take all the powder coat off while sizing?

Lyman Bullet Mold #356637. 147 gr.

I dont powder coat. So can't help.

The diameter of the as cast bullet changes with the alloy used & what alloy the mold is regulated with.

I would go with this Lyman 4 cavity mold. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010245557
    Its marked.356" diameter. Its regulated for there #2 alloy. The higher the % of antimony in the alloy , the larger the diameter & the harder it will be. Less antimony, smaller as cast diameter.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    I dont powder coat. So can't help.

The diameter of the as cast bullet changes with the alloy used & what alloy the mold is regulated with.

I would go with this Lyman 4 cavity mold. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010245557
    Its marked.356" diameter. Its regulated for there #2 alloy. The higher the % of antimony in the alloy , the larger the diameter & the harder it will be. Less antimony, smaller as cast diameter.
    That isn't a round nose mold.

Look at custom molds. I have no experence with custom ones. Find load data before ordering. Good luck.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks everyone .
    I think that since I am just starting out I'll just stick with a standard 124gr or 135gr mold until I get more experience casting.
    Their is a lot more to casting than I thought it would be.
    Thanks for your advice...

If sizing your bullets is removing powdercoat, you are doing something wrong. I use an mp-molds 359-125 nlg hp mold. With my alloy they come out at 135 grains, and they are easily sized to .356”-.358”
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Thank you for the information.
    I am powder coating so I think those molds are to big. I think that 356 would be the best maybe .357, I'm not sure.
    I would resize after I powder coat, so wouldn't I want a smaller mold so I don't take all the powder coat off while sizing?
    I size after coating with HiTek, which is actually what is recommended by the coating inventor/manufacturer. There is no damage to the coating, and I'd imagine the same is true for powder coat.

Many folks deliberately cast over diameter bullets and size them down to exactly what they want. They might start over by a couple thousandths or even more to ensure complete circumferential engagement of the sizing ring. Proper lubrication makes this easy on the dies and your arm.

The rule of thumb for cast bullets is to go 0.001" over nominal, which is 0.355" for 9mm Luger, so 0.356". Bores vary, though, so more might be better. Slugging the bore of the barrel the bullets will be going through might be useful.

I do not know of a mold specifically made for 9mm that large, however I have a 4 cavity 147gr Lyman 358212 and have used in everything from 9mm, .38 super, .357 sig, .38/.357 mag, and IIRC even a .357 Herrett at slower velocity since the early 80's.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master

As has been said above, properly cured PC will not come off during sizing. If it did, it wouldn't survive the process of being fired down a barrel.

A great do it all bullet in a good value mold is the Lee 356-120-TC in the 6 cavity version. I can't recommend Lee 2 cav molds.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Bub
    MP Mold has 147gr round nose mold is this is what you’re looking for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The MP molds in aluminum are eight cavities. Maintaining optimal mold temperature, especially in the end cavities takes a little attention,but once dialed in, you can produce a lot of boolits in a hurry.