RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black powder quality, then and now?

That will work Don.
    I have one that needs a new barrel.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Would be a fun little shooter
    In my 73 shooting a case full of OE 3 f a thin card wad with the Lyman bullet lubed with Bullshop NASA 50 rounds with out cleaning isn’t unusual
    Just be sure the reamer match the barrel dimemsensions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    One area I see as improved is consistency.
    I shoot "A LOT " of 44WCF black powder loads and some 38-55 Winchester and 45-70 Gov't, all in lever guns. I have tried Goex, Goex Cartridge, Elephant, Schuetzen and Swiss. I shoot Swiss in all three. When going from one lot of powder to another with Swiss I do a check of the loads with the new lot. I have yet needed to work up a load/see a change in accuracy or point of impact. Fouling? With the 44WCF I shoot Pistol Caliber Lever Action Silhouette. One day my son and I shared the rifle, both of us shot two, forty round matches. With sight in/practice that was over one hundred eighty rounds fired with no cleaning, just blowing through the barrel once every relay. Accuracy never waned and the lack of build up in the barrel looked like a single fouling shot was taken.

Not sure I really care for his snobby attitude, but this guy goes to some extent into the question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yjepTZ-lH4

You probably had a wide range of manufacturers back then unlike today. I guess that some were as good as swiss, others not as much but maybe some were better. I'm not sure that much R&D is being done today on BP. If they did, they would probably replace the charcoal and Sulphur with a pure extract to make it a lot cleaner and faster. But then, end of the day, its about the bottom line.
    Last edited by almar; 10-25-2021 at 10:53 AM.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    I guess all those folks who shot GOEX and Elephant to save money are going to find out if Swiss is a better powder...if they can afford it! (smile)

I've been a fan of the late, great Olde Eynsford black powder. Some claim it was as good as Swiss, others say Swiss was superior. When I bought my last pounds from BACO Swiss was about $10/lb more than OE. If I manage to shoot up what I have before age and degradation take over (lol) I'll be in the same boat, i.e. finding out if Swiss is better than OE.

Dave

Boolit Master
    I know a few people who prefer OE over Swiss. I even have a couple of rifles that, so far, seem to like OE more. Mostly I shoot Swiss though. When I switched from OE to Swiss, all of my scores, silhouette, midrange, and long range, went up.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Powder quality was variable in the 1860s too......there is a report by a Col Dixon RE,that the 45 cal "small bore" rifles had all been returned to store as the only suitable powder was an expensive commercial one,and the standard issue military powder made the rifles unservicable through fouling after a few shots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12