Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data

Thread: What is this?

Boolit Master

What is this?

I bought some stuff at an auction yesterday and picked it up today. Scored some # 11 and #10 caps, don't need 10's but they were there. Some black powder which was supposed to be sealed but wasn't, I really hope what is in there is what the bottle says it is, it looks right. Is there a way to tell the different grades of powder on the bench with a magnifying glass and a caliper? I got ffg and fffg Triple seven. I know, not real but still, price was right. Also got some ffg Pyrodex.
    BUT, My main question is about a tool in the lot, There was a lot of stuff related to revolvers (which I wish I had but do not have) so I am thinking this has to do with loading cylinders off the gun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211013_151946141.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	290215
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211013_151954319.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	290216
    Last edited by Rickf1985; 10-13-2021 at 04:16 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    It's for loading black powder cylinders outside of the gun

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

If it was in with other BP stuff:
    That tool looks home made, and like it can seat the balls in a BP revolver cylinder.
    Some people had extra cylinders for them that was sort of like a 1st generation speed loader.

I'd put out a sample of the BPs and look at the grain size compared to a known good sample of FFg or FFFg, etc.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    You can buy this on Midway for around $24

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I kind of figured it out as I was posting it on here. Looking at the picture made it clearer than actually looking at the piece. I also found quite a few .45-.46 balls so I am guessing it was a .45 pistol. I have no use for it, with the laws in NJ I have to get a pistol permit for a black powder pistol and getting a permit here takes close to a year. I will list it in the S&S section.

Boolit Master
    Found it, It is a Traditions unit. Appears I was off by one caliber, it looks like it is a .44.

https://www.amazon.com/Traditions-Pe.../dp/B000PW45GS

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    If it was in with other BP stuff:
    Some people had extra cylinders for them that was sort of like a 1st generation speed loader.
    Artfully demonstrated by Clint Eastwood in one of his western flicks, 'Pale Rider' I think, but it made an impression on me.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Thanks, I kind of figured it out as I was posting it on here. Looking at the picture made it clearer than actually looking at the piece. I also found quite a few .45-.46 balls so I am guessing it was a .45 pistol. I have no use for it, with the laws in NJ I have to get a pistol permit for a black powder pistol and getting a permit here takes close to a year. I will list it in the S&S section.
    Wow!! That's crazy, as front loaders are generally considered not to be firearms - even convicted felons can carry them in most states.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Not entirely true. In alot of places even an airgun [pistol] will be considered a firearm if carried for the purpose of self defence. Same is true for cap and ball revolvers. Alot of states consider them firearms if possessed in public for concealed or open carry. And felons cant do that. It does vary a bit state to state tho.