WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: finding cheap used truck -not so easy

Boolit Master

finding cheap used truck -not so easy

trying to find an inexpensive used truck to get me through till insurance company figures things out is turning into a real challenge.
    this dang wreck I was is in is just a nightmare that won't end. seems I might have to get a lawyer to set things right for me. the first thing the insurance company asked me.-- do you have a lawyer-- saying in a fashion that I took to mean id be a fool not to have one protecting my rights.
    the insurance basically told me they will get around to things when they can, I think I got the message, loud and clear. they said they can't do anything till they speak to the person that caused the wreck, and nobody seems to know where he is. probably hiding out along with that laundrie guy.
    and laying out a whole bunch of money on a rental seems like a fools errand. so I been scouring sources for even a 20 yr old truck to give me something to drive in the mean time and prices are crazy. even the new chevy 3/4 ton trucks they advertise for like about $35.000 you cannot actually find one like that, the way I like em with 4wd and no other frills. the cheapest one I can find new is $42,000.
    but even finding an old beater for $2500-$5000 seems impossible . there's one on a govt auction that needs some work I've got my eye on but there's no telling how high the auction will go.
    any suggestions?

Boolit Master

It would seem this is the worst time to buy a new or lightly used pickup. There aren't enough available to keep up with demand. This is most likely filtering down into the older used market.

Maybe in a few months when gas is $5+/gallon people will start letting those older trucks go for less money.

Boolit Buddy
    This is a very bad time to buy anything. My advice would be to avoid the Govt auctions if you need something to be dependable. Sure they are maintained per schedule, but we beat the ever living snot out of those things. Best case would be to keep your eyes on Facebook marketplace, but the days of a $500 car to get you by are over.

Boolit Master

The truck market is very hot right now because the construction market is busy. Add to that the chip shortage putting new trucks in small supply and that is not going to change any time soon. The Chevy/GMC dealership I just retired from can hardly keep any new or used trucks on the lot and that is with todays premium prices too.

Cast Boolits Owner

The lack of new vehicles has driven the price of used vehicles shy high. I wish you luck in your quest.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Have you looked into online or farm auctions in your area?

Sounds like you need to hire a lawyer and start threatening the insurance company to get them off the stick.
    An Honest Man Keeps His Horse Saddled
    http://www.cardinalguns.com
    http://www.riflehunter.net

Boolit Buddy
    I think the electric vehicle experiment is looming as well. Will electric vehicles have the performance or longevity of today’s used trucks? Highly doubtful.

For some insurance companies: Once you file a claim, the race is on for how bad they'll screw ya.

Get a lawyer. Look for one with a nickname like 'pitbull'.

Insurance claims almost never go to court. The ins. company defense teams can't ever find 12 people
    to sit on a jury that haven't been screwed by an insurance company---- and might be looking for a little payback.
    (me included)
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    I saw an article that prices are up 25-35% from last year for used trucks.

I would try Carfax. My buddy got a decent deal on a used truck about two months ago.

Just did a search near me and found this:

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1FTPX14506FA79357
    Don Verna

So, I didn't go back and look up your wreck post, but I'm assuming you were the one hit and other driver is at fault.
    If so, AND you weren't hurt/or looking for the OP to pay for your injuries and all you want is a replacement truck, I would advise you to have YOUR insurance company pay for the totalled vehicle. Let your insurance company search him out and try and get any money THEY can get from him. I had a wreck back in the 80s, and so did my wife a few years ago. It was a WASTE OF TIME for me to try and get the OP's insurance company to do anything and they low balled me the first time. Tell your insurance rep to get their checkbook out and write YOU a check. And for sure, look up what the Kelly blue book value on the truck is. And then see if you can find a truck the same age and miles that is for sale. The Value of that truck should be what they pay you for your wrecked truck. NOT what they want to pay.
    Waiting on the OP's insurance is a struggle in self control. Just don't

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    So, I didn't go back and look up your wreck post, but I'm assuming you were the one hit and other driver is at fault.
    If so, AND you weren't hurt/or looking for the OP to pay for your injuries and all you want is a replacement truck, I would advise you to have YOUR insurance company pay for the totalled vehicle. Let your insurance company search him out and try and get any money THEY can get from him. I had a wreck back in the 80s, and so did my wife a few years ago. It was a WASTE OF TIME for me to try and get the OP's insurance company to do anything and they low balled me the first time. Tell your insurance rep to get their checkbook out and write YOU a check. And for sure, look up what the Kelly blue book value on the truck is. And then see if you can find a truck the same age and miles that is for sale. The Value of that truck should be what they pay you for your wrecked truck. NOT what they want to pay.
    Waiting on the OP's insurance is a struggle in self control. Just don't
    I agree, work through your insurance company (assuming you have full coverage). My wife and I were hit (rear-ended at a stop sign in a snow storm) in our brand new car back in 1995 by an Airman driving a government vehicle. The USAF was very difficult to deal with and we eventually left it up to our insurance company to pay for the repair and get reimbursed by the government, which they did.

Boolit Grand Master

Since you were not at fault the rental should be part of the settlement,but rental trucks are harder to find also. You are well instructed to get a reputable lawyer. Keep in mind they also pay for the inconvenience (pain and suffering) along with damages. Some of this comes from the collision side of the policy some from the comprehensive side. A good lawyer knows this and how to work them.

Bad time to buy anything.

Boolit Grand Master

In this area used trucks are up 45% and new trucks under $80,000 most due to the chip shortage. One storage area has 11,000 Ford trucks awaiting chips.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    My neighbor went to the dealership the other day wanting to trade in his 1 ton dually ford for a smaller truck to run around town in.
    He has 23K on it, The dealership offered him 3K more for it than he paid initially ?
    I see he must of made a deal, It's gone and looks like an F-250 took its place

Boolit Master
    Good luck finding something. $5,000 is about the cutoff nowadays for something that'll most likely last at least a few years. I'm tempted to sell my old Chevy Astro because the value has jumped so much in the last year. I could almost double my money on a well used van I've had since 2007!

You should be OK with getting a rental if things start to drag on, but be extra careful because those prices have jumped exponentially. What used to be a $40 per day rental can now be a $400+ per day rental. Getting stuck with that bill would suck and you know the insurance companies will be fighting those bills if they can.

Boolit Grand Master
    Overheard someone in McDonalds telling another guy he sold his Dodge Ram Diesel. 3 years old and 28K miles. Dealer offered him $8,500 over what he paid for it three years ago.
    Was at the dealers the other day and a salesman asked if I wanted to sell my Duramax, they would buy it right now! Told them not for sale. I would just have to buy another one that they don't have.

Boolit Grand Master

In this area for a 4x4ful size ten year old truck with 200,000 miles the going rate is $30,000 to $35,000.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    In this area for a 4x4ful size ten year old truck with 200,000 miles the going rate is $30,000 to $35,000.
    Isn't it nuts? I thought things were bad in the Obama years, but this is insane. I was watching prices come down for a few years hoping they would get back to normal, but apparently 2019 was as normal as we were going to get. Not that long ago I saw a mid 2000's F150 that someone had rolled. The cab was completely smashed in, windows gone, truck was toast. Time to go to the junk yard? Nope, guy had it for sale for $10,000!!!

It's gotten to the point where buying used trucks isn't even worth it. Cars can be had for stomachable prices, but not trucks. They are hard to get, but you can get at least a new truck of some kind for what people are asking for 10 year old used trucks. I've got a 1993 in pieces. It's time to build it this winter finally, and it will be better than this outright trash people are trying to sell. To think that a measly 10 years ago you could buy a beater truck for $1000. I bought my current truck for about that, about 10 years ago, I still have it, and it still runs. Today, I couldn't buy the same thing for $10,000. 45%? No way, used truck inflation is WAY more than that.

Boolit Master

Finding a high priced new one ain’t a sure thing anymore.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast