Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: finding cheap used truck -not so easy

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Unless you really need a pickup, I would look for a used car to drive temporarily. They should be a lot cheaper and it’s only temporary. You probably need a lawyer to tell you what you are entitled to. Maybe you can keep renting a car until things get straightened out and it will be all paid for.

I just went through about the accident I got in with my pickup and needed another one and one of my sisters help me to look on line and gave me some links and then I had a friend look at was out there when I forward him the links and told me what he thinks since he knows more about it then I do and the time the insurance check clear the bank , I had 2 left to work on for what I was looking for and I went to the one closer and got them down on the price that for what the insurance gave me for the one I had the accident with I used that all and just needed to come up with just $6 and change. I drove it home. It is a hard market out there . When you do go to get one have another place as a back up to go to that is less money and then you can work on to bring them down . I did that and got it to work for me. As for the price of new pick up you can buy a house for that price. I am glad my it is over on this now . I need a pick up . 4x4 . That is why I did what I did. Do not give up and check on line for the search . Hope you find something that will work for you like I did . I know it is not easy.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned

my 2020 ram had to go in for a check engine light. The dealer called the day before and said they would gladly give me a quote and one id really like if i wanted to sell or trade. Told him if he had or could get a ram rebel id think on it. He laughed and said good luck. He told me though if i wanted to sell it and wait he could give me pretty much what i bought it for with 30k on it. He said they cant get trucks PERIOD. I had to pass.

Boolit Master
    I have a 1998 Chevy S10 pickup - 4 cylinder, 4 speed - with 98,000 miles on it. It needs work. Anyways, thanks to the MA Lemon Law, if I sell it privately, and it doesn't pass inspection, I can be liable for the work needed, or I might even have to take it back. That's IF the buyer can prove that I was aware of the work needed. It's a messy, cluster of a situation. I'm not sure if I can sell it "as is." The local junk yard will give me under $200 for it because it's so light.
    So there it sits. Starts every time. I hate to junk it. I might put some money in it and just drive it.

ADMIN

GOV auctions may have vehicles that are low miles for their age but you have to be very careful.
    I work for the DOD on a military base.
    We have vehicles that have low miles but have high engine hours.
    2016 17k miles 5500 engine hrs for example.

We have a 15 pass Ford E350 with 76k miles.
    They is 76k miles with the average trip being 3 miles at 20 mph.

Shop around
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

A coworker looked at a 2005 3500 with 220K miles for asking price $18K.
    The dealership I work at was giving mid $50K's for '17 and newer Duramax's with less than 100K miles.
    We used to keep 200 or so new vehicles and at one point in September we had 11. We are small town yet sell about 100 per month when there is inventory.
    My 2007 Sierra is worth more than I paid for it used in 2014, 70K miles later.
    Glad I got my two oldest kids their vehicles right before this.

Boolit Grand Master
    And it will not get better. The push for electric vehicles will drive the price of gassers up. Nearly everyone in my rural area has a pickup truck. Not many charging stations in the middle of nowhere.

Five years ago I bought a 2001 Ram with plow for $3500. A 2006 plow truck today is $7500.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Had my ‘18 Ram Diesel 4x4 at the dealership for an oil change, 40k on the odometer, I went to leave, guy walks up and offers me $55k for the truck!! I don’t know if he was serious or not, as I politely refused his offer and drove off. Neighbor down the road traded her 2018 Ford F 150 in, got, according to her, $6000 more than she paid for it! Bought a 2021, cause they had one on the lot, and said she got 0% interest. Crazy!! Good luck in finding a used truck, other than a basket case,for any kind of cheap money. And pre-emission diesels? If they are in any kind of shape, gold prices!!! I have had more old dodge diesels in my shop in the last 6 months than ever before!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Check your local Craigslist. I've found reasonable, well maintained vehicles there. You might check for government auctions in your area, too. I got a Bureau of Land Management 2010 Ram at a good price. Government vehicles are on a regular schedule for maintenance. I've had two now, and both were very nice.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

A lawyer will get 25% of any money you get... but it might be the only way to get them to pay up. When I had my car accident the kid who was 100% at fault had a really shady insurance company and they tried all kinds of crap to avoid paying. Judge finally tacked on an extra 25% for malfeasance and they coughed it up or the insurance company prez was going to jail.

I sold my almost dead rust bucket 2001 F-150 for $1200. It needed a new intake(5.4 Triton cracked intake syndrome) and new plugs(have fun, 151k miles and corroded in the heads). Guy who bought it needed a work beater truck for going into farm fields to work on equipment for farmers. Mine was only 2wd and he still wanted it, only truck he could find that was cheap. Rest were $10k+++ for 20 year old rusted out MN trucks, rust free out of state trucks $20k+++

Boolit Master
    I own a 2001 K3500 dually. 68,000 miles. I do NOT need a one ton dually anymore, but I do still need a pickup truck. I would sell the one ton and buy something I want, but there is nothing to be found at a decent price.

Behind enemy walls where the libertards run amok
    Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    Had my ‘18 Ram Diesel 4x4 at the dealership for an oil change, 40k on the odometer, I went to leave, guy walks up and offers me $55k for the truck!! I don’t know if he was serious or not, as I politely refused his offer and drove off. Neighbor down the road traded her 2018 Ford F 150 in, got, according to her, $6000 more than she paid for it! Bought a 2021, cause they had one on the lot, and said she got 0% interest. Crazy!! Good luck in finding a used truck, other than a basket case,for any kind of cheap money. And pre-emission diesels? If they are in any kind of shape, gold prices!!! I have had more old dodge diesels in my shop in the last 6 months than ever before!
    So pre emissions diesels are worth alot?
    Why are so many old trucks in your shop? Broken down or servicing?
    I paid 17,500 for my 99, 24v, 98k, garaged two months ago.

Sent from my T790W using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Since you were not at fault the rental should be part of the settlement,but rental trucks are harder to find also. You are well instructed to get a reputable lawyer. Keep in mind they also pay for the inconvenience (pain and suffering) along with damages. Some of this comes from the collision side of the policy some from the comprehensive side. A good lawyer knows this and how to work them.
    As I understand the situation, the person that hit the OP is unable to be found. The OPs company should pay for his truck immediately minus the deductible. The OPs company won’t pay for a rental unless he has rental coverage. He could recover rental costs from the person that hit him depending on finding them, them having insurance and their insurance company agreeing that a rental was required. Even then, they would only pay for the bare bones base rental available. Lose a Raptor? Tough. Rent a Fiesta.

That’s unfair you say? Yes it is. Get a lawyer and sue if you can find one that will work for less than the money you are screwed out of.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dkonrai View Post

Why wouldn't the be? None of the choked down emissions junk. Less to worry about if you are in a testing state. Diesel anything is worth a ton. You paid $17,500 for a 1999 truck. That should say it all right there.

ADMIN

one more thing to toss out there.
    GSA changes oils 12 months or 7500 miles.

Yep, went to have three vehicles dispatched today (its done monthly). And inquired about oil changes.
    So regardless of how its driven or how many engine hours, its 12 months or 7500 miles. And its not even synthetic oil.

I have a 2011 Sentra that I paid fair market price in the spring. $3500
    I was offered twice that to sell it to a guy that walked up to me at a car wash that I regularly attend.
    I passed on the offer as I didn't think I could replace it for $7000 with something just as reliable.
    I drive 60 miles a day and that vehicle has been decent with around 30 mpg average.

My suggestion is start looking in people's drive ways. You might be surprised.

Purchased a 2005 Prius. Had 230K miles.
    The inside was dirty and the roof was rusty.
    Bought it for $300
    Yes three hundred.
    Hybrid battery was 5 years old.
    12v battery was dead but less then a year old.
    AC needed a recharge.

Spent $40 on a guy who detailed the inside.
    $250 on a guy that sanded and painted the roof.
    Spent $50 on a recharge kit. AC took 8 ozs and was ICE cold.
    $300 on a multi-function display
    Charged up the 12v with a trickle charge. Tested out fine.

Sold the original Cat and had a replacement installed. Drove away with $1000 extra in my pocket after the switch.

Drove it to work for a couple weeks. Didn't like it.

Sold it for $3000
    When it was all said and done, I had a $3100 profit when you factor in a months car insurance, tag and registration.

BTW hybrid cars in SC cost a extra $160 a year to register. Who knew?

Boolit Master

I have a nice little 2009 Hyundai with a trailer hitch on it. I can haul 1000 lbs to the scrap yard and it has helped us move to Florida and back to Michigan and made weekly trips here and there. License plates are permanent on it and I bought the plate in 92 or 94 and it is covered on the insurance at no extra cost. A truck is nice,,,, a trailer is way cheaper and does most of what I need done. It might take a couple of trips but it gets it done.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 10-14-2021 at 07:54 PM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dkonrai View Post

Just to venture a guess. It's worthwhile to put a fair amount of money in to truck now rather than try to replace it. If you can find a replacement. Before this mess a lot of folks would just trade it rather than fix it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    I have a nice little 2009 Hyundai with a trailer hitch on it. I can haul 1000 lbs to the scrap yard and it has helped us move to Florida and back to Michigan and made weekly trips here and there. License plates are permanent on it and I bought the plate in 92 or 94 and it is covered on the insurance at no extra cost. A truck is nice,,,, a trailer is way cheaper and does most of what I need done. It might take a couple of trips but it gets it done.
    how do you get a lifetime MI plate and how do you get free insurance? Only lifetime plates ive heard of are disabled vet plates.

Boolit Master

Trailer plate is permanent. Trailer is insured when it's hooked up to the insured car. No free lunch on the car itself.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

Right now is going to be a bad time trying to find a good used vehicle. A dealer has offered me something in the high 20K range for my 2012 Super Duty with 100,000K on it. Crazy!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast