Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Set of 310 alloy handles sells for $80

Boolit Master

Set of 310 alloy handles sells for $80

You guys know that I am often amazed by the price our interesting 310 items sell for an a popular auction site, well the latest interesting sale was a set of alloy handles that went for $80. Now I hope the buyer isn't reading this, if so I apologize! Must have been two guys that wanted THOSE handles, regardless! Well, the box was included and it did have #2 adapter! I've been trying to get up the courage to start getting rid of a lot of my 310 items, this just might have been what I needed to get a move on!

Boolit Buddy
    And to think I gave away a set of those handles, along with a set of .45 colt dies last week. It was for a good cause. A young man with a .45 blackhawk, the desire to learn but no reloading tools, they will be a good start for him.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    And to think I gave away a set of those handles, along with a set of .45 colt dies last week. It was for a good cause. A young man with a .45 blackhawk, the desire to learn but no reloading tools, they will be a good start for him.
    Some actions are more rewarding than getting paid cash. You did well helping a young person get started.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you, it did make me grin to be able to help. He's one of the good ones.

Boolit Master

r80rt, what you did is worth more than a mere $80, you may have started another shooter onto the love of these old 310 items! And, just look around at the range and see the average age of shooter these days, most are , ahem, mature individuals! We have to always be ready to encourage the young shooters and reloaders stating out, you done good man!

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you, this fellow is in his mid 20's and has his head on straight. I have a old lyman lead pot, dipper and a Lee two cavity mould, along with a lee sizer boxed up for him. This weekend he gets a basic sourse on casting and sizing his own boolits, I'm looking forward to that.

Boolit Master

everything is getting crazy, have you seen what they are asking for lyman single cavity's on here.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I've been working on the various machines in my workshop with the intent of making my own tools & dies. Molds, too.

The Smithy CC-1220XL my brother bought me is about half torn down, cleaning up the dried out grease & cosmoline so the spindles will rotate smoothly after more than two decades in storage.

Bought some practice stock yesterday to make, among other things, some 310-style dies. Might try making handles, too. I am not a professional machinist, but am close to graduating from a precision manual machinist course for aspiring machinists. There are a lot of folks here much more accomplished at machining that could do so, too. Cottage industry, anyone?

Bill

Boolit Grand Master
    Scrounge,

Most lathes are not easily adjusted to cut the required 30 TPI for the Ideal dies (carried on by Lyman until their discontinuation a couple of years ago). If you can get that setup accomplished with your machine, the rest of the process should be pretty straightforward.

At last report, the 310 Shop was having dies custom made in calibers no longer or not readily available. From what I have heard, he’s pretty slammed with orders, so making your own may be a really good idea, and if you get to the point of providing them for others, it may be a good side hustle for you. Keep us informed of how your project works out. It sounds interesting.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    You might check Victor Machinery, victornet.com, they list a 5/8-30 die among many other non-standard tapes and dies, should work for threading a loading die.

Boolit Master

Mostlyleverguns, If Victor does make a 5/8x30 die that is correct for 310 dies it would be an answer to what a lot of us have been looking for to chase threads on 310 dies! Have you confirmed that their die is correct for Lyman 310 dies?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Scrounge,

Most lathes are not easily adjusted to cut the required 30 TPI for the Ideal dies (carried on by Lyman until their discontinuation a couple of years ago). If you can get that setup accomplished with your machine, the rest of the process should be pretty straightforward.

At last report, the 310 Shop was having dies custom made in calibers no longer or not readily available. From what I have heard, he’s pretty slammed with orders, so making your own may be a really good idea, and if you get to the point of providing them for others, it may be a good side hustle for you. Keep us informed of how your project works out. It sounds interesting.

Regards,
    Froggie
    Looks like I found a use for my Smithy. 30tpi is the very first threading setting on the change gear chart. The Atlas TH42 has a gear setup for both 30tpi and 25tpi, in the Manual for Lathe Operations Threading supplement, as well. 25tpi is used in the 1903 Springfield for the screws that hold the action in the stock, at least. And a use the the despised HF mini-lathe! It will cut 30tpi with the factory change gears, and my 25tpi threads with a 32-tooth gear. Which came with the Smithy! And a gentleman on Thingiverse.com has the files for printing a 32 tpi module 1 gear, as well.

The only lathe here that looks to be a problem will be the SB Heavy 10L with the single-tumbler gearbox. It doesn't do 15tpi or 30tpi, nor 25tpi. Didn't look all that hard, but didn't see a 50tpi, either. Adding a gear that divides or multiplies the factory settings by 2 is an easy cheat on a lathe that has something double or half of what you want. Or so I've read. Not in the realm of personal experience yet, but will be soon. I bought 40+ inches each of 5/8" & 3/4" 4140 and 47" of 7/8" A36 round stock yesterday. Also have access to several change gear calculations programs, including the one at LMS. I got tired of counting the number of gear combinations that will give me my 25tpi thread on the Smithy, but it's in excess of 30, and a dozen that will do 30tpi. I think I'm going to be good as soon as I can get the thing running again. I'm about $80 into parts for the Smithy, plus the oil to lube it, and the solvents to clean it. And I spent about $15 on a small SS bucket and a screen to help with parts washing, since the little parts washer I got years ago seems to be missing, and the big one is awaiting my finishing the rewiring job on it, too. That seems to be a thing around my shop. Lots of stuff needing rewired.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trooperdan View Post
    Mostlyleverguns, If Victor does make a 5/8x30 die that is correct for 310 dies it would be an answer to what a lot of us have been looking for to chase threads on 310 dies! Have you confirmed that their die is correct for Lyman 310 dies?
    Unless it's a very adjustable die, it's not likely. Normal pitch diameter for 5/8" bolts is .6250" where the Lyman 38/357 CMR die I just miked is .6095 or so. Shipping cost just almost doubles the cost of the die, so I'm not gonna buy one to play with.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Unless it's a very adjustable die, it's not likely. Normal pitch diameter for 5/8" bolts is .6250" where the Lyman 38/357 CMR die I just miked is .6095 or so. Shipping cost just almost doubles the cost of the die, so I'm not gonna buy one to play with.
    You might want to rethink your calculations, 0.625" is the MAJOR THREAD diameter.
    The pitch diameter for a 5/8" x 30 tpi thread would be 0.603" diameter.

Rick
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Red River Rick View Post
    You might want to rethink your calculations, 0.625" is the MAJOR THREAD diameter.
    The pitch diameter for a 5/8" x 30 tpi thread would be 0.603" diameter.

Rick
    That was not a calculation. I measured the OD the threaded portion of a couple of the dies here. I don't own a thread mike yet. I'm not a machinist, just taking a class. I measured the major diameter of the thread. Grabbed a 5/8"-11TPI bolt for comparison, major diameter on the threaded portion of that is .620" and if there is a 5/8"-30TPI thread in my Machinery's Handbook, I'm not finding it. Did find a 5/8"-24TPI. Then found a Table 4. Standard Series and Selected Combinations-United Screw Threads that lists threads of 5/8"-11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 24, 27, 28 & 32TPI. This is the 21st Edition, printed in 1979. There is a couple of hundred pages on threads, and I have just barely skimmed them. I have a PDF of the 5th Edition, from 1916, which would be closer to when Ideal came out with these tools, but no telling if they were following any sort of standard at the time. I'll take a peek at it when I get a chance, but I'm not going to be making any310 tools or dies this weekend. Still working on fixing the lathe I'd like to use to do the threading. The dies are closer to 9/16ths inch, but not all that close. It is very possible they got a deal on some odd-sized bar stock, and worked from there. Just for giggles, I checked, and it's fairly close to 15.5mm, just a bit under. Not likely to have started as metric stock. Though it could well be their junk pile was quite a bit better than mine. Wouldn't be hard to do.

If you can educate me further, I'd appreciate it.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Back in the day when Ideal started making 310 dies sets, using a
    non-standard (i.e. non-SAE) / proprietary thread size and pitch
    was no only very common, it was prevalent.
    (Plus the auto industry had not really grown and matured
    and thus standards were not really promulgated yet.)

The thinking at the time was that using an uncommon thread made it difficult
    for a home hobbyist or competitor to make copies, so they would be forced to buy product
    from the original manufacturer, locking them into their brand.

As evidenced from many other posts/threads on this board,
    the 310 die thread diameter is not a true 5/8ths.
    It would be wise to search this board for actual dies measurements and/or
    measure a bunch yourself before buying material and cutting threads.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 0.6095" measurement for the major diameter is correct. Five eighths (0.625") by thirty tpi taps and dies are available but pretty much useless for use with 310 tools. When they were in production for 310 tools, Lyman had specially made taps (and probably dies as well) for the old, non-standard dimensions inherited from the earliest days of interchangeable dies made by Ideal.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    Back in the day when Ideal started making 310 dies sets, using a
    non-standard (i.e. non-SAE) / proprietary thread size and pitch
    was no only very common, it was prevalent.
    (Plus the auto industry had not really grown and matured
    and thus standards were not really promulgated yet.)

The thinking at the time was that using an uncommon thread made it difficult
    for a home hobbyist or competitor to make copies, so they would be forced to buy product
    from the original manufacturer, locking them into their brand.

As evidenced from many other posts/threads on this board,
    the 310 die thread diameter is not a true 5/8ths.
    It would be wise to search this board for actual dies measurements and/or
    measure a bunch yourself before buying material and cutting threads.
    Done that. Also have a crazy brother who likes the 310 tools, and have acquired several 310 tools, and dies, from him as well. I'm pretty sure he had this all planned out. Since he also gave me a Smithy 3-in-1 lathe/mill/drill machine, despite my already having 3 lathes and two milling machines at the time.

I pretty much figured out what you said about the sizes. Been working on my machines to make sure I can do this stuff, and studying at my class to make sure I can do the work itself. Fortunately, I like reading about and learning old skills. Still looking for a copy of the early editions of the Machinery's Handbook in paper, but have the 5th and IIRC, 16th editions in PDF. I carry paper copies of the 21st and 26th editions to class, too. I should have studied this stuff when I took the first class in high school, in 1973. I'm a bit smarter than that, now. A little.

Bill

addendum: The vintage 1946 Atlas TH42 I have will cut 30tpi threads with the stock gears, IIRC. It's certainly in the Manual of Lathe Operations, and the version I have is correct for this lathe. If I have to buy or make change gears for it, I've been working on collecting the technology and skills to do it.
    Last edited by Scrounge; 10-15-2021 at 12:11 AM.

Boolit Master
    My little 6”x18” Atlas, with the change gears, can be set up for any thread needed. I’ve done several 310 die bodies and adjustment rings on it. My 10” Atlas with the quick-change gear box, has nothing between the lever positions for “28” and “32,” and I don’t think drilling an extra hole in the housing between them for the change lever would get me 30 tpi.

The Yahoo group for Atlas lathe users is a tremendous resource; the members have uploaded a lot of pdfs of special instructions from the old Atlas Press Co, including which spindle gears to change to get oddball threads if the lathe has the quick-change box.

The handles used to be 10 or 15 bucks at gun shows, but of course they’re gradually becoming “vintage,” even the Lyman alloy ones. And inflation is starting to kick in, too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    My little 6”x18” Atlas, with the change gears, can be set up for any thread needed. I’ve done several 310 die bodies and adjustment rings on it. My 10” Atlas with the quick-change gear box, has nothing between the lever positions for “28” and “32,” and I don’t think drilling an extra hole in the housing between them for the change lever would get me 30 tpi.

The Yahoo group for Atlas lathe users is a tremendous resource; the members have uploaded a lot of pdfs of special instructions from the old Atlas Press Co, including which spindle gears to change to get oddball threads if the lathe has the quick-change box.

The handles used to be 10 or 15 bucks at gun shows, but of course they’re gradually becoming “vintage,” even the Lyman alloy ones. And inflation is starting to kick in, too.
    Yep. Except that Yahoo crashed and burned, for all intents and purposes, earlier this year. However, the Atlas-Craftsman group moved to groups.io with all or most of their files, and they're still active. I'm a member there, as well. Kinda like Chicken Man. https://groups.io/g/atlas-craftsman If you were a member when they moved, unless you specifically quit, you should still be a member. You might need to get set up to log in to the group if you like using the web interface. I can help with that for anyone who needs it. For anyone who isn't a member but wants to be, go to the link above, and you can join. I can help with that, too.

You can use the Little Machine Shop's change gear calculator to figure out which gears you need, for an Atlas or any other kind of non-quick change gearbox lathe, too. You just need to know what the spindle thread TPI is, and what change gears you have. https://littlemachineshop.com/Refere...ange_gears.php

As the man says, where there's a will, there's a way. I wouldn't have bought a 6" Atlas by choice, myself, but any lathe is better than no lathe, and if I'd gotten offered one for a price I could afford, I'd have probably grabbed it, too. I currently only have 4 lathes... It's an addiction, I tell you!

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast