RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: NOE Expander Plug for .358 Diameter Handgun Bullets?

NOE Expander Plug for .358 Diameter Handgun Bullets?

I have loaded more 38/357 cartridges in my years of shooting than I can recall. I've used steal dies (early days) and carbide. I've always used the provided expander die with whatever brand dies I was using at the time. I once loaded for quantity over quality when I was doing much more shooting long ago.

Simple question for those who are in the know. All of my 38/357 cast bullets get sized to .358 using standard WW alloy. Which NOE expander plug would you purchase to minimize any swaging of the bullet? I'll be shooting everything from mid range 38's to full snort .357 magnums.

Thanks,

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

For .358” bullets, I use the .360”x.356” plug. This gives .002” of neck tension. Some guys may differ in opinion, but this is what I use.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I don’t load for handguns, but when I buy NOE expanders or sizing inserts for bottle neck or straight wall rifle cartridges, I always buy a range of what I think I will need. One benefit of NOE is that they don’t cost that much allowing you to do so.

Boolit Master

wheelguns is spot on, but I often do what greg does just incase. I hate sitting n waiting for stuff to arrive or return to a a available status.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Wheelguns 1961,

I believe I'll go with your advice. I was thinking the .360 x .356 would probably be my best bet. I never bell a case mouth more than necessary. I have rather large hands and fingers, fumbling around trying to get a bullet almost perfectly straight can sometimes be a challenge if I'm loading a good size batch. I do have NOE expanders for other cartridges, both handgun and rifle and really like them. Given they're only $6.50 a piece, ordering a couple is never a bad idea.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

.360 x .356 is correct for a .358 bullet. It's the one I use too.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I use the 360 X 356 when my size to .356 - I have always figured on .002 neck tension - others may do it differently.

I don't always size though and often use them as they drop. Particularily in my bottle neck rifle loadings, I have always used M-dies and do on some pistol rounds as well. I had a Lee Universal expander and decided to give the NOE plugs a try - like suggested, I bought a range of sizes for the cartridges I load and have not regretted it as they have come in very handy - if you always size - then one will do the job - but if you cast a variety ob different boolits and load them as they drop from the mold - it helps to have a range of sizes - the nice thing is that the NOE plugs are a lot cheaper than buying individual M dies.