RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: H335 in my 45/70

Boolit Buddy

H335 in my 45/70

I recently picked up a Marlin 1895 45/70. I cast some 325 gas checked round nose flat point bullets. Powders have been tough to get lately, and one of the only powders listed in my manual that I have on my shelf is H335. Going to give it a try. Anybody tried this one? Not looking for specific loads but what your thoughts are and any info would be appreciated.

I tried a max load using a heavy cast LBT in my Ruger #1 and it clover leafed at 100 yards. Recoil is stout though.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    I tried a max load using a heavy cast LBT in my Ruger #1 and it clover leafed at 100 yards. Recoil is stout though.
    What were your bullet weights and velocities?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Never chronographed it, since I didn't care. The bullet is a 434grain LFN GC from a mold I bought from Robert Applegate. I heat treated them and loaded them on a full case of H335. I basically filled an empty case with H335 and set the bullet on the charge until the crimp groove was in the right spot. I weighed the charge and it was below maximum in the Hodgdon data, so I figured I was good. The first 3 shots were all touching.

If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Yes. The powder works great in 45-70. It's recoil impulse is a bit sharp but you can down load it just fine.

I will say that this is the first powder in that cartridge that I actually saw a pressure spike via my chrono. I was shooting 45-70 and a 350 grain boolit. With my ladder, I was incrementing by about 1 grain per level. Each level was going up about 20 fps consistently until a 1 grain increment went up about 200 fps...

I shot 3 to make sure, but it was certainly a pressure spike...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    H335 has worked for my Marlin 1895 45-70 loads from a 325 grns PB RCBS to a 470 grns PB Applegate. And quite a few in between.

I have mostly used Vihtavuori N130 because of availability here. Burning rates are quite similar. Both powders give good velocities.