RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin/Remlin/Ruger

Boolit Master
    try this mount

https://universalopticsrail.com/purc...-92-rail-mount

I bought a couple and they ship to Canada

I believe that when Ruger made the 96/44, it had a 1/20 twist. In case anyone was curious.
    Personally with a few touches, I wouldn't mind if they made that model along side the model 94 of Marlin.

Boolit Master
    My only complaint of my Remlin/Marlin 44 magnum is the twist rate is too slow to stabilize a 300gr boolit. Chiappa ($$$) may be the only 44 levergun with a fast twist.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    My only complaint of my Remlin/Marlin 44 magnum is the twist rate is too slow to stabilize a 300gr boolit. Chiappa ($$$) may be the only 44 levergun with a fast twist.
    I hear people saying that but I've never experienced it myself. I had a Marlin '94 in 44 Magnum for a while and loaded the 300 grain Lee boolit with no accuracy issues.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

I shot a Rem made Marlin .35, brand new.. When I first looked at it I almost choked when I saw the muzzle crown... If anyone here is a metal worker or a machinist youll know what Im talking about here.. The crown looks like it was cut with a dull drill bit about 1/3 size too small rather than a muzzle crowning cutter. It had large flat gouges and facets of different sizes in the crown all covered with factory bluing. It looked like it was cut by an 8th grade shop student..
    Shot even worse than it looked. Would not do better than 2"-3" at 50 yards with three different kinds of factory loads. String groups at that..
    I love Marlin gun and still own several but that was the worst machine work Ive seen on any gun Ive ever handled.. Not saying thats indicitive of all Rem made Marlins but it sure left a bad taste in our mouths

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylongrifle View Post
    I love Marlin gun and still own several but that was the worst machine work Ive seen on any gun Ive ever handled.. Not saying thats indicitive of all Rem made Marlins but it sure left a bad taste in our mouths
    I too am a Marlin lover. My JM Marlins are terrific rifles. And I have 4 Remington made Marlins that shoot just as well as my JM's.

I know what you mean about poor machine work. Hopefully Ruger will make us proud.

In 2016 I bought a Henry Big Boy in 357 magnum. I had to return it because it had a deep tool mark all down the bore. So it does happen. Maybe not as often as the Remlins but still it happens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	290758

Steve in N CA

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Pricing on everything Marlin is way high right now, including Remlins. I would definitely wait and see what happens with the new Ruger made guns first. Remember, there is zero warranty and factory support for any Marlin product right now so you could be buying yourself a real money pit.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    I am in a quandary. I have a Rossi 44maag. Since I added a recoil pad the gun is somewhat more gentle to shoot. The curved steel butt plate may have been historically correct but it was really quite hurtful to shoot. Adding a scope to the '92 is not easy and today I have to admit fixed open sights and my eyes are not going to get along anymore. The carbine will soon go down the road.

I really want a new Marlin with Ballard rifling. I own a RemLin in .357mag which I love. Whatever you have heard there os nothing wrong with the RemLim version of the Marlin lever gun if my .357 is a representative of what they put out. It has Ballard rifling and with a Red Dot on it shoots as well as I can hold.

What are the issues, if any, with the Marlin and/or RemLin 44 mag lever guns? There are a couple of versions I am considering. The stainless with the large loop lever and the more conservative blued gun with an 18" barrel. I intend to purchase two molds for the gun after I have the bore slugged.

Take Care

Bob
    Robert, before you send that rifle into the unknown, try these sights. I am 74 yr old and all I will say about eyesight is that nothing gets stronger with age except wine and cheese!
    These look good and kept me from scoping an 1895 cowboy 45/70Attachment 290944Attachment 290945
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Hey guys I am back. First thanks for all the replies. All have been useful and appreciated. An update.

I bought an inexpensive scope (a Leupold Knockoff from Ebay). This may or may not have been a mistake. The jury is out on the scope. Twins of it have worked well on my 9MM carbines: not sure on my .357 Carbine. I have purchased a new Bushnell Banner 1x - 4x scope made in South Korea to replace the Chinese made copy. It should arrive next week.

My rifle has 1 in 16 twist barrel with Ballard rifling. I have had mixed results to date off a bench. I am testing at 25 yards with the view of moving out to 50 yards once I find a load that consistently manages around an inch at 25 yards. I am not there yet but getting closer. I am not at all sure I can trust the scope so I won't add more comments regarding results.

Lets deal with the basics. I believe the 1 in 16 twist should stabilize both 150/158 gr bullet as well as a 170 gr. Correct?

Would the twist rate favour one over the other?

I have Bullseye, 231, Titegroup, 700X, H4227, HS6, 296, H110 and CFE Pistol available at the present time. Those in red are around a pound with little chance of replacement in the near term. I would think the faster powders would or should work reasonably well with the light bullets and the slower powders with the heavier bullets. I have the 358477, 358256, 358429 and 358430 cast bullet molds.

Generally what is the max. OAL for LSWC .357mag cartridges for these guns.

So given that information let's here some of your experiences.

For added info the serial number of the gun is MR76270B. It has Ballard rifling or at least non micro groove. Fit and finish on the gun is excellent frankly. Well as good as one gets on producgtion guns these days. I have no reason to believe the gun should be anything less than a very good shooter.

Looking for help to speed narrowing down the experimental period of loading for this rifle. Winter id about a month off so I figure I have about 30days left before the weather turns cool/cold, wet and generally ugly.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would start with 231/HP-38. A little goes a long way and I find it to work superb with lead slugs in higher pressure but not true magnum loads.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

If you're using plain base boolits you'll be limited to about 1400 fps to be free of leading. Remember, your velocities from the carbine will be 5-600 fps faster than from a 6" revolver, so be careful when you reference load data. Be sure you're looking at RIFLE data! If you're using gas-checked boolits then you can load to full speed.

Lyman #48 shows #358429 cast of #2 alloy loaded with IMR4227 at a starting load of 12.4 gr. @ 1257 fps and a maximum load of 15.2 gr. @ 1549 fps. Their test gun was a Winchester 94 with a 20" barrel. You stated that you have H4227, so adjust your charge weight accordingly.

They also show#358156, which is a 155 gr. (#2 alloy) loaded with IMR4227, starting at 12.4 gr. @ 1257 fps and a maximum load of 15.2 gr. @1549 fps.

HS-6 will get to almost the same velocities but most often the slower powder will give you improved accuracy.

HS-6 Data

#258156 8.8gr. @ 1370 fps 9.7 gr. @ 1491 fps
    #358429 No data given

H-110 data for #358429

14.4 gr. @ 1638 fps 15.0 gr. @ 1704 fps

My persomal choice would be Blue Dot if you can scrounge up a can or three, I use a lot of Blue Dot in my .357 mag cast boolit loads. I hope this helps you out! Stay safe and Bon Chance!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Ford SD View Post
    try this mount

https://universalopticsrail.com/purc...-92-rail-mount

I bought a couple and they ship to Canada

Thanks I will. I have a spare Vortex Sparc11 I can mount on my 44Mag Rossi.

Turning to my Remlin .357mag I finally mounted a Bushnell Banner 1.5 -4.5X scope on the gun. I tried a Chinese knockoff which turned out to be a lesson relearned. Don't ask! In any event at 25 yards 15 gr od H110 under the Lyman 358429 bullet seems to work well with a1" group evidenced so far. As some of you may have heard the West Coast is getting copious amounts of rain right now. We won't get any flooding up here like they are experiencing in the Lower Mainland but we are getting the rain for the next two to three days. We will get about 50MM here in Terrace. Just south of here at Kitimat they are expecting over 100MM of rain. Theay are on tidewater so the rain water wo't have far to go to get back to the ocean. Life in the NW rain forest..

Conditions are not pleasant to be out sighting in a rifle, though the pistol shed does afford quite a bit of cover. I proably won;t do much more rifle shooting until next spring. My friends and I bring out our revolvers and play with them most of the winter. No chasing of brass. This winter I will be shooting , in addition to my cartridge revolvers two 1858 Remington 44 caliber BP pistols. In the wet we shooting a cylinder of 44's then switch to our 357/38spl and 45Colts. If it isn;t raining over the winter it is snowing....and it can be nasty cold as well.

I have to thank you all for your help with loads and advice. I thoroughly am in love with my Remlin 357mag. Next spring I will be out with the Chrony and a bag of targets to really dial in some loads for this gun.

Take Care

Bob

ps Wife says we have about 30 days worth of food in the house so we have lots to bridge us over the present shortages due to trucks not being able to come up from Vancouver. I suspect if the delays last more than a few days Safeways and Safe On Foods will re-supply their stores via Edmonton.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    They seem to be asking a king's ransom for the new levers. I don`t doubt Remington managed to make some good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    They seem to be asking a king's ransom for the new levers. I don`t doubt Remington managed to make some good ones.
    I would expect the price to come down a bit after Ruger begins production. Time will tell. I am extremele happy with my RemLin. Once I ditch the cataract in my dominent right eye I should be able to wring out some decent groups. The scope has helped a lot but there is still room for improvement.

Take Care

Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12