MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin/Remlin/Ruger

Marlin/Remlin/Ruger

I am in a quandary. I have a Rossi 44maag. Since I added a recoil pad the gun is somewhat more gentle to shoot. The curved steel butt plate may have been historically correct but it was really quite hurtful to shoot. Adding a scope to the '92 is not easy and today I have to admit fixed open sights and my eyes are not going to get along anymore. The carbine will soon go down the road.

I really want a new Marlin with Ballard rifling. I own a RemLin in .357mag which I love. Whatever you have heard there os nothing wrong with the RemLim version of the Marlin lever gun if my .357 is a representative of what they put out. It has Ballard rifling and with a Red Dot on it shoots as well as I can hold.

What are the issues, if any, with the Marlin and/or RemLin 44 mag lever guns? There are a couple of versions I am considering. The stainless with the large loop lever and the more conservative blued gun with an 18" barrel. I intend to purchase two molds for the gun after I have the bore slugged.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

Robert,
    I used the 1894 SBL in 44 magnum during deer season last year and it worked flawlessly. I also have the latest iteration of the 1894 CB in 44 mag and it is just as good as my JM version. As for me, I'm quite pleased with them both.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Bob,
    I totally understand your need to scope that rifle, I'm in the same boat. But before you move it down the road, take a moment to consider a tang sight. The aperture stands closer to the eye than a regular peep sight, that's important! It lengthens the sight radius and allows the sight to come on target quicker. I combined it with a green fiber optic front sight and it made an excellent package! I unscrew the aperture when hunting, so it acts as a "ghost" ring; leave it in at the range and when doing load work-up. the carbine remains light and handy yet accurate and easy to hit with. I chose a Marble's tang sight, more expensive than the Lyman but it is windage adjustable. Give it some thought before you sell that '92!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

When Remington first moved the Marlin production they had very real and serious problems.

By the time they got them straightened out Remington was circling the drain.

I don't know if Ruger is shipping new rifles yet or not.

IMHO I'd be very leery about buying a Remlin without the ability to really check it out first.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    FWIW,
    Experience with the Marlin 1894 44 mags/even early JMs :
    (Some of them) will produce brass with stretching due to poor headspace.
    I got some of the brass yrs ago from a friend who was shooting factory loads.
    Definite thinning near the case head
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    if you got a good Remington made Marlin your lucky. there was some real junk shipped out. it was as if quality control was non existent. there were some with barrels that were not finished. rifle grooves only part way down the barrel, there are many with canted sights off several degrees the front to rear dovetails being way off center and not on the same plane, receivers not completely machined or polished and full of chaff. get your finger sliced open just loading a round. big gaps in the wood to metal fit.
    lots of problems. I think the marlin owners site has a whole section devoted to reports on problem guns. I got one of the last jm marlins made in Conn. it is chambered 308mxlr and fortunately its perfect. I personally like the marlins made in the 50's, 60's and 70's best

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    We had some Remlin .44's at my side job shop and they were nothing to be proud of. Fat forend, sights clocked wrong, and a look down the bore did not inspire confidence. To be fair, they would probably work for the average hunter using factory jword ammo and a scope who figures if it makes a dead deer then good enough.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Apparantly no more Marlins with Ballard rifling - Ruger announced they are using Ruger barrels (naturally) and will be shipping in December?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Receiver sights sit on many of our lever rifles. We are 70's here and we can see the front sight fine through those quick pointing holes.
    If I could not drill and tap two little holes I would be investing in my mechanical ability.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag about 20 years ago and could not get it to shoot accurately. You might want to check twist rates on the various iterations that are out there...or maybe I had a dud.

I have two 1894's in .357 that are very good...also bought about 20 years ago.

BTW, the advice to put on a tang sight on your 92 is worth considering. I have one on one of the .357's. This is
    other option:

https://universalopticsrail.com/purc...-92-rail-mount

I bought one to put on a 94 Winchester and will be mounting a Sig Romeo to keep the rifle balanced.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Apparantly no more Marlins with Ballard rifling - Ruger announced they are using Ruger barrels (naturally) and will be shipping in December?
    I'm confused now. again I should not assume anything. what type of rifling does ruger use?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    They say late December for the 1895's in both .45 Gov't and .444. The 336 will be next, then the 1894 in .357 and .44 Magnum. They say the receivers will be forged, not investment cast, and barrels will be cold forged on Ruger's machines.

Apparently they have some rifles assembled for in house testing as Mr. Killoy said they shoot great with lead and jacketed ammunition. When he said ''lead'' he didn't make a specific note to cast, but I imagine if they shoot, ''lead'' (swaged?) they'll shoot cast.
    Last edited by Ithaca Gunner; 10-12-2021 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Bob,
    I totally understand your need to scope that rifle, I'm in the same boat. But before you move it down the road, take a moment to consider a tang sight. The aperture stands closer to the eye than a regular peep sight, that's important! It lengthens the sight radius and allows the sight to come on target quicker. I combined it with a green fiber optic front sight and it made an excellent package! I unscrew the aperture when hunting, so it acts as a "ghost" ring; leave it in at the range and when doing load work-up. the carbine remains light and handy yet accurate and easy to hit with. I chose a Marble's tang sight, more expensive than the Lyman but it is windage adjustable. Give it some thought before you sell that '92!
    Good advice, thank-you. I will look into a tang sight. My 'smith does a lot of restoring of the Sharps and may have what would fit the gun.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    "Ballard" rifling is also known as "cut" rifling and uses 2 to 8 lands and grooves originally done using a sine machine to cut each groove (time consuming) but can also be accomplished using a button rifling machine (very fast). Marlin's patented Microgroove rifling was multiple shallower lands and grooves (more than 8) and was made using the button rifling method. If Ruger will be using cold forged barrels, they should be a good deal as the forging process is fast, cheap once you pay for the forge and gives you a very uniform and smooth interior to the barrel. Can't wait to see what gets shipped.

Boolit Buddy
    FYI, I was lead to believe but can't point you to the source, that Ruger's original and first center fire rifle used barrels procured from Marlin since Ruger was not in the rifle business in the early 1960s. This was the original 44 Deer Stalker auto loader. I have two of the early ones (one has a 3 digit serial number) and the barrels look just like Marlin's Microgroove rifling.

Ruger did outsource barrels for their center fire rifles until sometime in the 80's if I remember right.

Boolit Master

I work with several fellows who left Rem after this last overturn. I will not repeat stories I hear, but I would STRONGLY suggest that you check out in person before laying out cash. If by mail, consisder the shipping fees that will not be refunded. There asre a lot of good ones out there, but in later production. Somebody needs to compile a serial number range of good ones.

Boolit Master

I've got a Rossi 92 in 44 mag. May I suggest the Marbles bullseye sight or the Noe scope mount. I've done the scope mount but like the bullseye sight better. Shooting up to 100 yards it works well and as a $20 fix, it was well worth it. The rifle does kick, shoot it free hand and not from a rest. Down load a 240 g mold and get a 300 grain mold to full speed, they will both shoot to the same point of aim at 100 yards. Plink with the 240 and hunt with the 300. Good luck my friend. If you want another rifle, Henry should be in the mix. It's a Marline with Ballard rifling.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Receiver sights sit on many of our lever rifles. We are 70's here and we can see the front sight fine through those quick pointing holes.
    If I could not drill and tap two little holes I would be investing in my mechanical ability.
    So true. The CMP matches with M1 garands are shot ( and won) with many in their 60’s and 70’s I am 60 and wear a 1.0 reader glasses for all my shooting now.

Boolit Buddy
    Bob. You have a couple of options on your Rossi. I assume that you know that under the rear sight there are several threaded hole that can be used to mount a long eye relief scope. Did that on mine and it worked pretty well. Second option is a peep sight used with a fiber optic front sight. There's a guy in Houston (Steve's Guns),that makes a peep sight that replaces that Mackey mouse safety at the rear if the bolt. I tried both on me rossi and both worked. Of course, I'll never discourage anyone from buying another gun! You might look at the Henry's. They're really nice.
    Siamese4570

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast