WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 209 vs Winchester 777- 209 primers

Boolit Master

209 vs Winchester 777- 209 primers

Anyone notice if the Winchester 777 brand 209 primers are better for in-line ML than standard shotgun primers? There’s a substantial price difference. Are they worth the extra expense or just hype?

Boolit Master
    All hype. In fact, they actually don’t work as well. Most of the ML shooters I know quit them. They simply aren’t hot enough to reliably set off black powder substitutes. There is no down side to using regular shotgun 209 primers.

Boolit Bub
    I have to agree with them not working well. I have a few that failed to go off in my Remington 700 ML. Never had a problem with standard 209 primers.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve always used CCI 209 magnums for BH 209 only and they have never let me down in my Knight in-line. I used #11 caps for all other ml powders and my side locks. Only problems they ever had were caused by fouled nipples after many shots. I once had to recap to clear my muzzleloader after hunting in steady rain for a few hours as a young boy. The ML 209 primers are not as hot compared to standard 209. They are marketing at it finest for the most part. It was explained to me by an expert many years ago that to much primer pushes the projectile foreword before the powder fully ignites and changes the pressure curve (high pressure spike possibly)? I bought a few used smoke poles and an extra fast twist Lyman barrel last year that came with mag spark conversations. This buy also included a few 100 musket caps and nipples as well. I haven’t shot any of them yet but this set up would be a great test bed if I took the time to chrono and burn some powder.