Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Anybody working with the 6mm ARC cartridge?

Boolit Master

Anybody working with the 6mm ARC cartridge?

I came upon some fired brass, marked - Hornady 6mm ARC. I’ve never heard of it before. From what I’ve found, it’s the latest and greatest, for the AR-15. Here’s a link to some info:
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...nady_6arc.aspx

Boolit Master

I am really glad you ask this. I have been looking at it too. Quite a few videos if you google it. I was thinking about an AR-10 in .243 but this might change that idea.

Boolit Grand Master
    Kind of between the 6mm PPC and the 6.5 Grendel (which I have, the Grendel, and have no desire for the ARC cartridge)

Boolit Grand Master
    It might be the best round since cartridges were introduced, but if it doesn't gain a large following quickly, it will go the way of the _(insert favorite failed cartridge here).

There have been so many rounds introduced since the late 1990's, several that are virtually indistinguishable ballistically that have already been dropped from production. WSM and RSAUM come to mind. I know they aren't AR type cartridges, but there have been several for the AR too.

I would only buy a rifle chambered for a brand new(ish) cartridge if I could get a large amount of brass for it, just in case they stop making it.

Robert

Boolit Master

I have not done enough research to see what the parent cartridge is so brass can be formed. If it is a true one off casing then brass may definitely become an issue. On a positive note. 6mm bullets are plentiful in several varieties.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I still have a couple of 6mm Rems I used to shoot over thirty years ago. I really liked them for target shooting. I still have a bunch of brass and often think of getting a mold and trying them with cast. 6mm/243 is an interesting caliber.

Boolit Master
    Like most of the modern cartridges released lately, 6mm Arc is built around heavy-for-caliber bullets with good BCs. For someone who is shooting Prarie dogs at 250 yards, the difference between that and 223 isn't worth writing home about, but the further out things are the better it compares.

Since I don't have a snowball's chance in Satan's underwear drawer of having a shot like that present itself around here, let alone making it, it's pretty pointless to me. Long range shooting seems to be a thing for a lot of folks though, otherwise the Creedmoor cartridges wouldn't be so popular.

FWIW, I would expect barrel life to be better than some of the real velocity monsters.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master
    You could probably make it from 6.5 grendel or 6mm ppc with a bit more work. In a pinch and more work like turning necks and fireforming, you could make it from 7.62x39

Moderator Emeritus

.220 Russian(necked down 7.62x39) is the parent for cartridge both the 6.5 Grendel and 6mm Arc. The ARC has a slight performance advantage over the Grendel on distance but uses lighter bullets so it is a trade off. I am debating building a 6mm arc AR for coyote hunting. Some of my shots can be well over 400 yards across open farm fields and the flatter and faster arc would be an advantage over the Grendel.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would compare the 6mm ARC to the 243 LBC(6mm Grendel), not the 6.5G. The ARC has less case capacity than the LBC and at similar pressures, barrel twist, and bullet weights, I would expect the LBC to outperform the ARC.
    I use 6mm PPC dies to load my 243 LBC. In my 6.5G, I get 3000fps with a 90 Speer HP and benchmark powder(24" bbl)

Moderator Emeritus

.243LBC is to much of a wildcat for my liking... as I age I reload less and less... getting lazy LOL Hornady has 6mm ARC in several different loads.

Boolit Master
    finding brass in stock might be a challenge.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you want/need factory ammo, then the ARC is the way to go

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    If you want/need factory ammo, then the ARC is the way to go
    Easy enough to start with factory and reload the brass. Dies are available. I like the fact that it is an AR-15 platform not an AR-10. That means a lot of us could get away with just buying an upper and correct mags. AR-10s in .243 are way pricey and scarce with not a lot of choices. I have been looking for a while and then stumbled on the 6mm ARC and thought it might be a viable alternative. Due to my location I'm not a hunter and my range only goes to 300 yards.

Moderator Emeritus

I had a coyote hanging 600 yards out in the field behind the house last night, right in line with the farmhouse 1/2 mile out so I couldn't shoot. It wandered towards that farm then dropped into the drainage ditch and never reappeared. If it had been 100 yards further west I would have taken a shot... they use that drainage ditch as a highway between farms.

Coyotes sill do things like that . On thing for sure though. If he was there once you’ll find him there again. Keep your eyes open and you’ll get him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Farmer got him last night, was mangy and solo... and got buried. Pelts are coming into prime soon but the market is really down for them. I still get a $25 bounty for a back paw...