RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: New to me lube-sizer; need help

Boolit Buddy

New to me lube-sizer; need help

Many moons back I bought this lube-sizer, and finally, I manage to retrieve it from pile of boxes. Anyhow, here are the pictures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ymn5pSr.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	290112 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tShiu21.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	290113

Lube-sizer looks old, but it's in good shape.

Since, until recently, I was relying for all my cast boolits on friends and their good will, and now gearing up for my own cast boolits, I never used lubri-sizer, and would like to know:

1. Would sizing dies work from current SAECO production https://www.redding-reloading.com/on...o-sizing-dies?

2. What about sizing and lubricating multi-groove boolits, do I have to order a special die with more holes or with slots vertically positioned?

3. What about top punches, is any way or adapter so I can use those made bay MP-Molds and other manufacturers, that are intended for Lyman and RCBS lubri-sizers?

4. Can this lubri-sizer use solid sticks?

5. Since old lube is quite hard, I couldn't pull out screw from the top and see what is inside, can this old-black lubri-sizer work as a new one: "SAECO’s Lubri-Sizer features a pressurized reservoir that lubricates from 20 to 50 bullets between turns of the lube control handle." https://www.redding-reloading.com/on...co-lubri-sizer

Regarding 5. and "...lubricates from 20 to 50 bullets between turns of the lube control handle...", am I right assuming that no need for turning lube screw for every boolit, as I had seen a friend doing that on old Lyman lubri-sizer?

Thanks for any info and advise.

Your Saeco Sizer works just like the new ones. All the dies and top punches will fit, but they are brand specific. Dies and top punches from other brands won't work on the Saeco. I have two of them, and still use them, in addition to my Lyman, RCBS and Star sizers.

As for multi-groove bullets, you just adjust the depth you want the the bullet to go into the die. The further the bullet goes into the die, the more grooves will be lubed. No special dies are required.

Some people don't like the side handle, but I don't find it annoying, just something to get used to.

As for the old lube, borrow a hairdryer from the woman of your choice and warm the sizer with it. Size some bullets and you'll probably find that the old lube works just fine, once warmed up. You mention it's black, so it may be Miro-lube (sp), or something with graphite or something else. A long time ago, I used to make my own lube from Ams-lube and beeswax, and it was black. It was a popular combination about 30+ years ago.

There is a spring inside the lube reservoir that applies pressure to the piston. That's why you don't have to turn the handle each time you lube a bullet, like the Lyman or RCBS. The amount of lube applied to the bullet will determine how often you have to apply pressure. When the grooves are no longer filling out completely, it's time to turn the handle and apply more pressure to the piston.

I use both solid and hollow sticks of lube in my Saeco sizers, depending on what I need at the time, and have on hand.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Fred, looks like I found adapter to use Lyman/RCBS top punches in SAECO lubri-sizer:

https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.p...adapters.3334/

NOTE: THIS PART HAS A 1/4" (0.250+") WIDE HANDLE BAR SLOT. SOME OLDER MODEL SAECO LUBERS HAVE A 5/16" WIDE HANDLE BAR. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE AND I WILL RECUT THE SLOT TO FIT.

From what I understand, whole top part is a new one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adapter for SAECO.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	290119 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adapter for SAECO -1.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	290122

BTW, mine is 5/16" wide.

Now, before spending few hundreds dollars on sizing dies, what is you experience/opinion about SAECO lubri-sizer, when compared to Lyman or RCBS ones? Should I stick to SAECO or buy something else? The fact is I bought SAECO lubri-sizer for something like $50, so if I don't use it, I wouldn't loose much.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Onty; 10-11-2021 at 01:41 PM.

Banned

You will find that the nose punches and sizing dies are incredibly overpriced compared to Lyman and RCBS!

I find the Saeco superior to the Lyman and RCBS, but that's just me. I'm actually a bigger fan of Star sizers over all the rest, but I do still use the Saeco sizers for specific bullets and duties.

I don't think I've ever paid retail for any of my Saeco sizing dies or top punches, and I probably have 30 or 40 sizing dies, and many more top punches. You just have to be patient and watch for deals to pop up. Deals don't come around as much during the present shortages as during normal times, but they do appear on occasion. I've owned my Saeco sizers for over 30 years, so I've had plenty of time to accrue what I need for them.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

The new REDDING/SAECO dies are better designed.

The old ones had a step in them. The upper step seated the gas check and then pushing the bullet further it had to work it's way over the step.

The new ones are tapered and you still get the seat the gas check in the upper portion but when you push the bullet all the way down it traverses the taper and gently sizes the bullet.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    I have 4 of them and use RCBS or Lyman top punches. The place where Saeco top punch screws in will take a RCBS or Lyman punch, all you have to do it put a gob of lube in the hole to keep the punch from falling out. You can also make them from bolts and grind the head to make a tip that will fit the sizer. You have one of the best sizers out there. Best place to buy size dies is this forum or from EBAY.

Boolit Master
    i have 2 and love them. the reason the dies cost more is that each is threaded and the design is better. the last one that i bought is a original saeco. bought on this site about 4 years ago for $95.00 shipped couldn't pass that up!

Boolit Master

Once setup you will like the sizer.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Here is something interesting regarding top punch in lubri-sizer:

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    ...For the top punch, I would use whatever flat nosed punch I had on hand. Or make one, it is doable with a drill and a file if you aren't too picky about looks. The stem on my factory built top punches is usually .260, but a ¼" bolt or rod works fine. Make it about an inch long and go from there...
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    If your boolit has a flat spot on it ... Lee 476-400-RF ... Round Flat ...your best bet is to use a flat top punch . Use a RCBS or Lyman and fill any cavity with epoxy putty (J-B Weld) let cure and sand dead flat . Perfect fit ...flat works with any boolit that has a flat spot on it ... WC , SWC , TC and RF ... it will seat them all..
    So, that opens possibility of using just any top punch for .357 boolit, fill cavity flush with epoxy, and it could be used for any boolit with flat point .357 and up. If this works, that will save me from hassle obtaining specific top punch for every bullet type, even if it's same caliber..

I understand that the nest in a top punch aligns bullet with sizing die, so it will go straight down, but is relay necessary to have exact top punch for every bullet configuration in SAECO lubri-sizer? Any first hand experience similar to those quoted?
    Last edited by Onty; 10-17-2021 at 04:09 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Onty, When I wrote that, I was referring to the top punch for a Lyman/RCBS style lubrisizer. I am not familiar with the SAECO top punch.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    As a matter of fact, using plain flat top punch for flat tip boolits is an interesting proposal for any lubri-sizer. I will certainly try on my SAECO piece since I have intention of using just SWC and LBT style boolits.

Onty, I bought a used one about a year ago because it was the only thing available at the time. The dies and top punches are more expensive than the Lyman/RCBS offerings but cheaper than the Star. I only have a handful of each so don't worry about the price. I bought an RCBS heater and am still learning how to balance the screw pressure vs heated lube. I try for the consistency of axle grease but if you get too much pressure or allow the heated lube to get too thin, then you'll get a bit of leakage around the top and bottom of the die. All in all I like it, but have a lot to learn. Enjoy yours and keep us advised with your progress.
    Last edited by faraim; 10-19-2021 at 10:34 AM.