WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: thought i was done building ars

Banned

thought i was done building ars

the son in law and his buddy have done so much work on the new house that i gave one my 8.5 inch 556 and the other a 16 inch 556. So palmetto had a deal on a 3 pack of bare lowers so im building myself a 7 inch 556 and another 16 inch standard gun. I promised the one step son an ar if he ever leaves CA and have built that gun 5 times now and sold or traded it. Now i heard hes marrying a girl in ca that has a business there so i doubt he will ever collect it. Nephew that also helped claimed the other lower. He shot one of my 300 bo pistols and wants to build one.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 10-13-2021 at 07:51 AM.

There is no such thing as too many ARs...

Boolit Master
    I thought I was done as well but they are so inexpensive and versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    All I want is one more complete upper for the barrel I have .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    I thought I was done as well but they are so inexpensive and versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yup you can build a decent one for about the same as you pay for an entry level cheap bolt gun.

Banned

well i got everything but the lowers. My gun dealer is gone out west hunting elk and wont be back till monday. The nephew got all his stuff and was bitting at the bit and wanted to learn how so i pulled off a lower from one of my other guns and stripped it down and hes comming over today to build it.

Boolit Master
    Lloyd I have a question on the legality of giving a pistol AR?
    I am probably wrong. But don't you need a "Short Barreled Rifle" certificate for each rifle with a barrel under 16"? If so did you also give the cert. to the person?

Banned

ar ar pistol is a short barreled ar with a brace vs a stock. As to giving one away its no different then giving away a glock or blackhawk. In Mich we have to register them so we have to fill out a registration forum and send it to the local sheriffs dept. Michigan has one funky rule that many states dont (other then the commy registration). In mich an ar pistol can be no longer then then i believe 34 inch measured from the end of the buffer tube to the end of the threaded barrel so 10.5 in guns are right on the line and 12s are to long. Any longer and it has to be a short barreled rifle or if you use a conventional ar stock vs a brace. You are still subject to fed laws that say once its built as a handgun you build a rifle you cant change it to a handgun but if you build it as a handgun you can use that lower to build a rifle. It would seem to make sense to register all your lowers as handguns but technicaly the lower is the gun so if they were to ban ar pistols all your lowers would be illegal. But for transfers and selling there just another handgun. Every state has different rules. So check into your own states rules on it before you go with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Lloyd I have a question on the legality of giving a pistol AR?
    I am probably wrong. But don't you need a "Short Barreled Rifle" certificate for each rifle with a barrel under 16"? If so did you also give the cert. to the person?
    That is true for a short barreled rifle but the discussion is about a pistol, there is a difference, a pistol does not have a shoulder stock. It is not called a certificate it is a stamp and you can't just give it to another person, you must go through all the red tape and long waiting period with the BATFE.