MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More 35 Caliber Testing

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    No it doesn’t for me. No leading and great accuracy with a heavy Collet crimp on my group buy 200 grain HP. My 100 yard group is to the left in my avatar with the 336.

Boolit Master
    Off topic question for the 35 Whelen Fans

I have been shooting some Jacketed 357 (158-160g) FMJ Pistol Bullets in a 35 Whelen M1 Garand / 16 twist barrel
    Started with a do not reduce load found in Speer book using Imr 4895
    i shot some today 65 deg f weather / cases necks now clearing up (soot & black marks)
    now at Speer data plus 2g
    Primers CCi 200 just starting to flatten ( vs rounded primer )
    Group size... was shooting fast from the bench, testing action, not shooting for accuracy, paper plate size at 100yds
    I have not put any through a chronograph but should be over 2000- 2100 fps maybe faster

Q1 What is the max velocity anybody has pushed a pistol bullet ?

Q2 What are you group size ?for anyone shooting 35 ca pistol bullets in a rifle ?? velocity?

Boolit Bub

Great group! Triple beards! I’ve been waiting for a bit, for that mold to be offered as a group buy again. Have two 35Rem that I’d like to run cast with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford SD View Post
    Off topic question for the 35 Whelen Fans

I have been shooting some Jacketed 357 (158-160g) FMJ Pistol Bullets in a 35 Whelen M1 Garand / 16 twist barrel
    Started with a do not reduce load found in Speer book using Imr 4895
    i shot some today 65 deg f weather / cases necks now clearing up (soot & black marks)
    now at Speer data plus 2g
    Primers CCi 200 just starting to flatten ( vs rounded primer )
    Group size... was shooting fast from the bench, testing action, not shooting for accuracy, paper plate size at 100yds
    I have not put any through a chronograph but should be over 2000- 2100 fps maybe faster

Q1 What is the max velocity anybody has pushed a pistol bullet ?

Q2 What are you group size ?for anyone shooting 35 ca pistol bullets in a rifle ?? velocity?
    Ford, I've not chronographed these loads, but may some day. I found a few loaded with 29 grains of 2400 in my stash recently. Had forgotten about them and sycked them on water jugs. Instant gratification.
    Attachment 290541
    Attachment 290542

Then I loaded a few more up with 26 grains of H2400 for paper. They are much faster, in my humble opinion than what the Lyman Manual states:
    Attachment 290543
    I could be wrong but everything about shooting this bullet screams zippy. This is the results on target:
    Attachment 290544
    The top hole was before adjusting the scope. I believe with a bit of finessing this could group much better than this example shows.

I would be tempted to shoot a deer with this, but it would only be a full broadside behind the leg type of shot. Doubt I ever will. Working too much to perfect good cast boolit load in the 175-200 grain range to accomplish what I want to do with confidence it will penetrate as necessary. Still, these are fun little 35 caliber bullets to shoot into reactive targets on occasion.

I had the same problem with similar bullet in 30/30. I reamed/polished out a fender washer to the proper dia. so the ogive would snuggle into the lands. Accuracy improved (over seating deeper) and jam problem fixed. Lee sizer pusher in the ram, washer over ogive and 'moved' the ogive about 50 thou. Tap bullet out of washer with a hammer.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Popper, not sure I follow but am impressed with your ingenuity to fix the problem. Any suggestions where I can look this up?

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=ChristopherO;5282834]

I had seen that load in another reloading book

the load I was working on From Speer Data
    IMR 4895 158g Jacketed Pistol Bullet @ 45.0g published velocity 1988fps (Note Do not reduce load)
    the Reason I was using the imr 4898 is that I thought it might work the action as a Semi

I was trying 2 loads with a brand new spring it just would not work, function
    I tried 6 of the pistol bullets and it did not function, then I tried the other load I was working on and those did not function
    a few would just come back enough to just reset the hammer.
    So I had taken a couple of used (shorter springs) and I tried the shortest one I had App 19 1/2 inches long
    M1 Garand recoil Spring
    Proper length is 19 3/4 to 20 1/4" when new.
    1005-614-7568 SPRING, HELICAL, COMPRESSION: . S, 0.0562 max stk dia, 0.384 max free od, 20-1/4 free o/a lg, 200 total coils
    with the shorter spring and a 6 more round loaded it went bang, bang, click, pull on the oprod, bang bang, bang, Ping
    loaded my last 6,.. bang, click, pull on the oprod,bang bang, bang, bang, Ping
    and I was out of test rounds, .. and the case mouths are just a bit dirty with gas leaking back around the case
    first time trying the load (Made 18 total) ...... So thought I would increase charge a bit

trip to the range on Tue With the Garand, this time I made 46 test rounds.....On a colder day testing

10 @ 45.5 still random short stroking
    10 @ 46.0 still random short stroking but less so
    10 @ 46.5 100% function
    10 @ 47.0 100% function
    6 @ 47.5 100% function
    Warning these loads are above published Data use at your own risk
    but cci 200 primers are not showing any but the first signs of pressure.
    IF I get to the point where i think i need to slow down the bolt / oprod i can put in a newer/ correct length spring.

I have no proof but i would say there is less pressure at the gas port than in a 30-06 or a 308 garand = slower oprod

these were shot mostly to test function ... Fast ...pulled the trigger as soon as front sight was on target (from the bench)
    Very little muzzle rize, so mostly just needed to move front sight around a bit and it was on target and Bang it went
    shot at 2 dinner plate targets all 46 round hit the target
    and it was fun and No more rounds loaded

I have thought about
    Red dot / 2400 / unique etc but I think all of these powders would make it a straight pull
    not ruling it out at this time, But I have few lb of powder, and a few primers, and its Nice to have some fun, once in awhile
    this rifle is Brand new rebuilt total of 141 rounds down the barrel

Chamber is a bit dirty so need soak it in some ed's red cleaner, before next outing

Some of those plinker loads might be nice to have in a pocket when hunting
    Last edited by Ford SD; 10-22-2021 at 12:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    my M1 Garand 35 Whelen With a red dot ... so I can see Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210917_165938 crop.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	290595

Best target has been with the Noe 35 XCB Bullet @ 230g its now called 360-230-FN-AU1
    But still working on that load to get action to work
    Last edited by Ford SD; 10-22-2021 at 12:09 AM.

Boolit Master
    Ford SD; That is "1" unique rifle.

Boolit Master
    Fun work up, Ford. Continue to keep us posted on your developments. CB needs a shooter's thread for posts such as these.
    I'm interested in that NOE 230 gr xcb booklet, too.

Boolit Grand Master
    Had a interesting shoot yesterday
    I loaded my M-70 S.G. with a 260 gr. Mountain molds boolit
    with 30 gr of RL-7 and I stuffed the air space with dacron
    shot decent at 50 yds bit low but a good group
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    I have had the opportunity to shoot a couple deer with 158gr hornady XTP’s in a 35 whelen. If I remember the load was 20grs of Imr 4227. With a behind the leg boiler room shot they worked quite well. Both dropped in their tracks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
    I have had the opportunity to shoot a couple deer with 158gr hornady XTP’s in a 35 whelen. If I remember the load was 20grs of Imr 4227. With a behind the leg boiler room shot they worked quite well. Both dropped in their tracks.
    Thanks for that real life experience, jwhite. I have no doubt, looking at the JHP mushroom pictures I attached above that they will kill deer quite well, but only on perfect broadside shots, such as you described. Any quartering to or away angles might be dicy. I've been so busy with business lately that the Whelen has been sitting idle, but I do hope to resume testing with my cast boots before too much of a delay. I would like to take it to Indiana to hunt deer with, as it is legal on that side of the boarder, but it can only be used on private land and I don't have a connection to do so at this time. I need to make a phone call to inquire.....
    Thanks again for adding to this discussion.

Boolit Master

This is Becoming Satisfying

Been too long and I needed to sight in the straight wall deer rifle this afternoon. After that task was completed the 35 Whelen came out with the NOE 182 WFN GC PC boolits over 25 and 26 grains of H2400 and a tuff of Dacron with CCI 200 LRP.
    Attachment 291136
    I was about out the door when I remembered Triplebeard's recommendation to use the Lee FCD, so I followed through and set the crimp with this on these cast boolits for the first time.
    Attachment 291131

If you recall my earlier post, the .360" and the .3595" diameter boolits were tight to chamber and bolt, scraping off the PC on the driving band outside the case mouth. These were sized differently and loaded with the body and base at .3595" and the front driving band at .3585". They chambered and locked in place perfectly.

Would they shoot worth the effort? I needed to find out.
    The first shot with a clean bore was quite high with 25 grains of H2400, but the others in that loading settled down toward POA. These are marked with the circle around the boolit holes:
    Attachment 291137
    Using another target to adjust the scope closer to POA I then used the 26 grain load of H2400 on the same target as the 25 grain load was originally shot on. The flyer of shot #4 is mine, knew it as I pulled the trigger. I believe all my research and perseverance is finally paying off.

After shooting through a line of water jugs at 100 yards to round out the session I found this pretty mushroom in the 3rd jug laying in the bottom of the container:
    Attachment 291134
    Attachment 291135

I need to chrony these again to be sure of their speed but I am betting they are pretty much a duplicate of the 350 Legend round that's all the rage in the midwest where bottle neck cartridges aren't permitted but Straight Walls are. Except these are lead, range scrap with powder coat and a large flat nose. I'd hunt with these all season long, if'n I could in Ohio. If anyone in SE Indiana wants the herd thinned just let me know and I'll come running. LOL
    Last edited by ChristopherO; 11-01-2021 at 09:06 PM. Reason: verbage

Boolit Master
    Any day Having fun is better than a rain Day

I had a rain Day .... Tried to make it a fun day by making (resizing 30-06 to 35 W)

I took 55 pcs of dirty once fired Hornady 30-06 Brass and Made 51 pcs of nice clean 35 Whelen Brass
    Annealed all the brass and cleaned it
    my defects/ rejects
    1 split all the way to the shoulder
    1 must have been just a bit off center and hit the edge of the neck expander and crushed it
    1 has less than 1/8" split at the neck ....... would split at first firing .... going to use it for set up
    1 Has .... a first for me a visible bulge in the neck of brass, a donut

so have about a 10% reject rate converting brass
    citric acid clean in the ultrasonic cleaner App 8-10 min Does a very good job of cleaning the primer pockets
    water wash/ drain / dry in the tumbler with crushed walnut and Mothers car polish, ready for primers

Boolit Master
    Ford, that is about what return on effort I have gotten creating 35 Whelen Brass out of 30/06. Years ago I primed a case, added so much pistol powder, Cream of Wheat with TP on top to hold it all in and shot it out the upstairs window. Vah La, 35 Whelen cases.
    Lately, to save primers and powder, I lube 30/06 brass, dip the case mouth in powder graphite to ensure the interior of the neck is coated and run them through the sizing die. Most come out just fine. Some of the old WWC54 brass will come out with a crooked case mouth, meaning it is longer on one side of the mouth than the other by a tad, but they are too short to use the Lee 35 Whelen trim tool on so I just go with them. Most of those are set aside for low velocity shooting with the primer hole drilled out to 1/8" anyway. The commercial brass is saved for higher end loads.

Citric Acid is my method of cleaning, as well. May purchase an ultrasonic cleaner one of these days.
    Glad you made the most of your rainy day.

Boolit Master

I make all my 35 Whelen brass from old GI 30-06. I wire brush the inside neck to clean it up and then slightly lubricate the case and neck. Vary seldom do I have a case that splits at the neck.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12