Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: MinWax Max Velocity?

Boolit Mold

MinWax Max Velocity?

Hi,

New poster, new caster, but long time reloader here

Several months ago I started casting .45 Auto projectiles. I'm using the non-TL Lee mold for 230gr flat points and I have a few pounds of IMR PB powder that I'm using. I'm shooting just above starting load charges and getting under 700fps velocity but perfect function and great accuracy.

I loaded and shot a few hundred rounds that I tumble lubed with a small amount of MinWax (liquefied with a hair dryer) and every round seemed to be fine and leading wasn't any worse than with commercial cast projectiles in that particular 1911.

But I'm curious if anything about this practice could cause any issues in the future and if anybody else does it like this.

Thanks!

i can't think of any issues, present or future. Wax, like bee's wax is pretty predicitable. At lower or low standard velocities you should be fine.

DG

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    i can't think of any issues, present or future. Wax, like bee's wax is pretty predicitable. At lower or low standard velocities you should be fine.

DG

Thanks! I'm fortunate that I was able to have the pistol function with such light loads. I tried loading and casting in 9x19 and I had to push the velocity around the 1000fps mark to get reliable functioning but the leading was quite a pain to remove.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Consider adding some Alox if you want to increase velocity and keep down leading.

Moderator Emeritus

There is lots of Minwax products. I assume you are refering to minwax paste finishing wax?
    If so, according to MSDS, it's just paraffin wax and solvent.
    I think JPW is better, besides having those ingredients, JPW also has some microwax as well as some Carnuba wax in the mix.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    There is lots of Minwax products. I assume you are refering to minwax paste finishing wax?
    If so, according to MSDS, it's just paraffin wax and solvent.
    I think JPW is better, besides having those ingredients, JPW also has some microwax as well as some Carnuba wax in the mix.
    Yes, the paste. I'm sure my can is close to 50 years old and there is barely any used I'm not sure if I will ever get to use Johnson's in my lifetime at the rate I'm using the MinWax haha

I agree with JonB in leaning towards JPW for the carnuba wax alone.

That stuff does great things to your bores.

And yes you can add it to thinned Lee Alox.
    1-2% carnuba is all you need.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I agree with JonB in leaning towards JPW for the carnuba wax alone.
    >>>SNIP
    Microwax also has some benefits.
    Paraffin goes from solid to liquid almost instantly as it's heated, But most varieties of Microwax have a plastic stage in a range of temperatures, between solid and liquid, much like Beeswax. I believe that there is benefits to having a mix of waxes in a bullet lube,,,to cover the bases, so to speak.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001