Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
ADvertise hereLee PrecisionReloading UKRotoMetals2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody hunt with a .45 ACP or have hunting loads?

Boolit Bub
    Not here. I use 9.3x62 mostly for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    Pretty neat. Nothing wrong at all with a Hi-Point. What barrel did you use for your project?
    The barrel is a barrel liner from Chaszel. I bored and reamed the original Hi Point barrel to 5/8 ID and turned the liner a few thousands smaller and epoxied it in the original barrel. The muzzle thread is 5/8 x 24 and I have several “ toys “ I made to fit it, a compansator, a micro red dot mount, a oil filter attachment ( you need this ) and I did some work on the trigger.
    On a hog hunt several years ago there were 10 of us guys together and several of the guys had high dollar handguns and most were 30 + years younger with better eyes. At the range we were shooting at 50 yards and the Hi point out shoot all of the other handguns shooting some under 3” groups at 50 yards with arms resting on the table but not by me.

To answer the question of velocity reached, I don’t know I tried loads up to 45 super level and at that point I was getting failure to feed problems probably way to hot for the standard recoil spring in the gun. Hi Point advertises they are good for plus P loads and it works fine with them. I believe I can easily top 1000 FPS with 200 gr. FN cast hi tek coated bollits it likes. The gun will feed and fire almost anything you put in it within reason.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 10-13-2021 at 07:28 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    Just wondered if anybody here hunts with a .45 ACP and had load reccomendations. I was thinking a Lee 230 gr. cast FP would be ok at 25 yards or so with a + P level load. Worked up to of course.
    Out of M1911s the old Cooper load of a 200/205 gr SWC loaded over 7.5 gr Unique runs 1000 +/-fps out of 5" barrels and will kill deer nicely with proper shot placement at a reasonable range [for me out to 50 yards]. Also if a second and/or third shot is presented I take those also. Worked for me. PSI runs 18,300 using the Hornady 200 gr XTP with that load.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    The barrel is a barrel liner from Chaszel. I bored and reamed the original Hi Point barrel to 5/8 ID and turned the liner a few thousands smaller and epoxied it in the original barrel. The muzzle thread is 5/8 x 24 and I have several “ toys “ I made to fit it, a compansator, a micro red dot mount, a oil filter attachment ( you need this ) and I did some work on the trigger.
    On a hog hunt several years ago there were 10 of us guys together and several of the guys had high dollar handguns and most were 30 + years younger with better eyes. At the range we were shooting at 50 yards and the Hi point out shoot all of the other handguns shooting some under 3” groups at 50 yards with arms resting on the table but not by me.

To answer the question of velocity reached, I don’t know I tried loads up to 45 super level and at that point I was getting failure to feed problems probably way to hot for the standard recoil spring in the gun. Hi Point advertises they are good for plus P loads and it works fine with them. I believe I can easily top 1000 FPS with 200 gr. FN cast hi tek coated bollits it likes. The gun will feed and fire almost anything you put in it within reason.

Jedman
    The Chaszel liners are pretty good quality. I've made 4 or 5 shotgun cartridge adapters with them. Was it very hard to get the barrel pin to drive out? I like your barrel project Jedman.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

roverboy, I too have made at least a half of dozen chamber adapters and made several 45 ACP and 45 Colt carbines from break action single shot shotguns with the Chaszel liners. His business must have really grown because a couple of years ago I could get most anything he made whenever I ordered, now he is out of stock on most everything and when he does get a few items they are gone instantly.
    Yea when you don’t need to buy or rent a chamber reamer and the sizes are close to what you want without a lot of turning they make for easy projects.

As far as driving out any pins on a Hi Point I don’t remember anything being hard to disassemble.

Jedman

Moderator Emeritus

Post WW1 the handgun choice of many in the NW was the 45 AR or 45 acp rimmed in a 1917 pistol. Loaded with heavy bullets, especially the 454423 it accounted for a lot of game. I don't see the logic in wanting a 45 for a 225 lb 2 legged critter and thinking it is too small for a 120 lb 4 legged one. The caveat is knowing the range and being accurate at it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    WWII South Pacific USMC Pa-in-law said his 1911 45acp would make a Japper change directions

Boolit Master

RCBS 45-230-CAS and a good charge of Unique works and feeds great out of my Kimber 1911.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSS-04.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	290338
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Back in 2003 me and a friend were hunting in CO for cow elk with over the counter tags on National Forest land and a guy in the cabin next to us killed a nice cow first morning with a 1911 and a bullet just like what Hickok has there. The guy shot the cow twice and the bullets both went clean thru the chest of the cow elk. He said it went about 50 yards and was down, range about 25 yards.

Jedman

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Attachment 290200Attachment 290200Most will laugh but I built a Hi Point JHP 45 ACP for deer hunting. I lived in OH then and it is a legal caliber if it has at least a 5” barrel so I rebarreled mine with a 1 - 12 twist barrel with a treaded muzzle.
    It was to be a tree stand / blind gun as I figured anything in archery range would be fair game with the pistol.
    Problem was the land I hunted for 15 + years was sold to the “ Metroparks” and is now a reserve with no hunting allowed. I now live in MI and I believe it is legal here also, just need to find hunting areas to use it.
    I have killed whitetails, antelope, and hogs with a carbine in 45 ACP so there is no doubt it will do the job.

Jedman
    Sorry old chap but its a NO NO to use 45 acp in a hand gun.. It MIGHT be allowable in a rifle but thats a debate most wouldnt go forth with as it would be upon interpretation of the judge and DNR that pulled you in.

In the hunting books, the options are 357, 41 mag, 44 special, 45 colt, 44 mag, and so forth.

Boolit Buddy
    I've killed ~30 whitetails with my S&W 625 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP over the past 15 years. A nice Keith 240 or 250 at 900 works extremely well. None have gone more than 25 yards and all have been one shot customers. Ranges have been under 30 yards, shooting from ground bow blinds. And, as all of you know, all have been full penetrations.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12