RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 1 st time alloying with pure antimony

Boolit Buddy

1 st time alloying with pure antimony

Today I alloyed my first batch with pure sb

I had 50 kg of pb and smeltet and cleaned it first and then put the tin into the melt. I then put the pure sb into a wire mesh basked, and it floated on the top like a cork. I used a steel pipe to submerge it until the basket was empty. After about 10 minutes it was dissolved.

No visible vapors or antimonial hazards.

I then fluxed with saw dust. The most of the "sand" floating on top of the alloy was gone. The alloy had more of a gray look to it apposed to before.

As you can see on the pictures, this sand like structure has migrated onto the the top of the ingots. The ones alloyed with printers lead, are the same way, and I ve used them for years, so I guess this is normal.

The blended alloy looks good as far as I can tell, and contains 2%sn 5%sb 93%pb

Anyone know how mutch sb I easily can get into the alloy? I'm thinking I have to try 15sn30sb. It must be a sweet alloy to have a good stack of to alloy up to other castable alloys with. Any other suggestions?

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I always heard you needed to get the lead very hot to get a good alloy. However, there was a post not too long ago about someone doing it at lower temperatures.

Boolit Buddy
    I've read that post. I started a new thread not to cup......

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Antimony melts at 1160 plus degrees!!!! if you had your lead that hot you were well past the danger zone of toxic vapors from the lead!

Boolit Master
    The antimony does not melt into solution with this method, it dissolves. Sort of like sugar does not melt into water, it dissolves. It is an old process and often called the "plunging bell" method by Bill Ferguson. The idea is to get intimate contact with the lead and cut off the oxygen. A little tin will help with this method. Tin and antimony want to combine just as tin and lead want to combine. You do not need to reach the melting temp of antimony for it to dissolve into solution in smaller percentages.

A clean surface on the antimony is helpful.

Boolit Master
    Interesting. The brain sponge is waking up and now I need to find that info from Bill Ferguson.

Boolit Bub
    several have posted lately here on how to do it
    you just need to come up wit a way to submerge the antimony
    I coat the antimony with a flux citric acid mixed with water or alcohol and let dry
    mike