Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Selling my Randall knives

Boolit Buddy

Selling my Randall knives

I have the Model 1 and the Model 2, these are both fighting knives. I carried the Model 1 in Afghanistan when I was a soldier. I thought about buying a custom sheath for CCW where it rights upside down under the left arm, but decided against it because these blades are too expensive to sit in a police evidence locker which happens to weapons after they get used for self defense. They make it difficult to recover as city governments want to destroy weapons.

That I been out of the army for about six years now, I don't need them anymore. I don't have sons that might enlist, or I would keep them to pass down later. Safe queens are useless things, so I am going to sell them. I am talking to a dealer now about consignment sales.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randall.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	290021

Banned

man if you carried it in action id about guarantee someday down the line youll regret it. Give them to your kids to give to your grandkids if nothing else. Id dearly love to have a knife my dad or grandpa used in combat!!!

Boolit Master

Why not post in swapping and selling ?

I have one and offered to buy the son one when he was a corpsman , but he did not take me up on my offer .

Thank you for your service. I agree it would be hard for me to get rid of an old trusted friend like the Model 1.

Boolit Master

I bought a Randall #14 from another GI in VN. I paid him $25. It had the now rare blade made in Sologen. After my 70th birthday, I realized that no one in my family would treasure the knife. I sold it to a collector in Mobile for $2,000. The grandkids will appreciate money more than a knife that has no function in their world.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    Why not post in swapping and selling ?

I have one and offered to buy the son one when he was a corpsman , but he did not take me up on my offer .
    When my son in law first deployed to Iraq in 2006, he wanted to take my #14 that I had in VN. I smiled and said "I will fix you up with knives for your deployment". I gave him two swiss army Spartans, two army airforce survival knives, and two gerber multi-tools. When he came back, I asked him if the knives I had given him served him well. He said they had but he had lost one of the multitoos and given the other one away. He had broken one of the survival knives and had the other on stolen when he was evacuated to the hospital for wounds. He gave one of the Swiss army knives to his RTO. The other Swiss Army knife was confiscated by a female minority customs inspector when he returned to Pope AB. It was a "weapon".

When he deployed again, he bought his own knives.

Boolit Master
    I'm not an expert but those are some fine examples of of Randall's high quality handmade knives. what ive noticed over the past several years is quality knife prices keep going up. for example many used case knives sell for more than what new ones cost. I guess you have to find the right place to sell them to realize the top dollar you deserve.
    just for reference if nothing else you might contact smokey mountain knife works in TN. what I call the supermarket of everything bladed, they are always buying and selling high quality knifes

Boolit Buddy
    I would keep the one you deployed with if possible. Put your 214 (edit as needed) with it along with any pics of you with the knife overseas. Could mean a lot to family down the road, or if you sell it now, may increase the value.

Boolit Buddy
    I would google and drop a line to captain chris stanaback.
    Long time RMK dealer with a huge following and honest as the day is long.
    Even if you decide to sell elsewhere, you'll get an honest appraisal.
    Just dont think used examples of late bone stock models are made of gold,, they arent.

Boolit Master

Sadly we all come to a point in life when we realize that some of our "treasures" will be a burden on our survivors. Do not assume anyone in your family will value your treasures as much as you do. Do not attempt to donate to a museum. The only person that will value your treasures is a collector who pays your price. No one in your family will turn their nose up at money. I spent 20 years collecting all the period correct gear to completely complete a manikin with Viet Nam era gear. It was period correct down the socks, boots, web gear, helmet, towel, etc, etc. As time went on, I could figure out that my wife could not wait to get rid of something that embarassed her. I found a collector and sold my authentic display for a tidy sum, which I invested in two offshore fishing trips for me and my grandson.

Boolit Bub
    Find a someone who will treasure those knives. I carried a #1 when I worked undercover years ago ( in a galaxy far, far, away ), since none of my kids show any interest, I have decided that a young man named Caleb, who is serving our country in the Air Force, will probably end up with all my stash.... The wife and I consider him a part of the family. I wont sell my stuff to any one unless its a medical emergency. These knives have a story to them.

Boolit Buddy
    My best friend's dad when I was a kid had a collection of Randall knives. I've always wanted one but still have resisted the urge to order one.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m not sure if anyone else feels this way, but sometimes there are emotions attached to things that you’d rather do without. I’m not sure if this applies to the OP, but when I returned from OIF in 06, one of the last things they did before we got on the plane and departed was to hold a formation and award everyone the OIF campaign medal. As soon as I got off the plane I gave it away to a friend as a way of saying thank you for the support while I was gone. Looking back on this after 15 years have passed, I think I subconsciously gave it away because I didn’t want to have to deal with all the baggage it represented. Just a thought… if the OP wants to send the knives onward that isn’t a problem, but I wholeheartedly understand why there is no attachment to them.

Moderator Emeritus

Sixgun Symphony,
    I wanted to make a post earlier, but have no good info to offer. I love knives, in fact, I just won one on fleabay yesterday. So I find it difficult to understand why you want to part with the knife you carried in Afghanistan. But then Jaysouth posted his comments and made me understand. Once you get a honest evaluation, I think your best bet will be to sell it to another boolit caster, via the TeamBoolits S&S or a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Sadly we all come to a point in life when we realize that some of our "treasures" will be a burden on our survivors. Do not assume anyone in your family will value your treasures as much as you do. Do not attempt to donate to a museum. The only person that will value your treasures is a collector who pays your price. No one in your family will turn their nose up at money. I spent 20 years collecting all the period correct gear to completely complete a manikin with Viet Nam era gear. It was period correct down the socks, boots, web gear, helmet, towel, etc, etc. As time went on, I could figure out that my wife could not wait to get rid of something that embarassed her. I found a collector and sold my authentic display for a tidy sum, which I invested in two offshore fishing trips for me and my grandson.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I had a knife on the Swap and Sell and was told that Knives were not allowed on this site.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pete501 View Post
    I had a knife on the Swap and Sell and was told that Knives were not allowed on this site.
    While Knives are not allowed on the regular S&S, Knives and "other" sporting goods are are allowed on the Teamboolits S&S.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001