Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Sweet little #4 rolling block in .25-10 RF shoot quite well

Boolit Master

Sweet little #4 rolling block in .25-10 RF shoot quite well

I picked up this late model .25-10RF (AKA 25 Stevens) #4 boys rifle recently. It has a perfect bore and nice case colors. I swapped in a spare centerfire breech block and made brass from .22 Hornet. It shoots amazingly well when my aging eyes can see the basic barrel sights and target. A really fun little rifle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211004_162002_copy_522x790.jpg   20210927_185741_copy_365x623_001.jpg   20210828_161036_copy_1008x265.jpg  

Boolit Master

Oh, boy, what a little beauty. Right up my alley.

More details on case forming and your load, please.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Oh, boy, what a little beauty. Right up my alley.

More details on case forming and your load, please.
    Case forming is pretty straight foraward:
    -Anneal
    -Run in .25 acp sizer. This leaves a belt ahead of the rim that must be reduced to around .277" diameter. I use a lathe, but it could be done with a drill press and file too.
    -expand the case mouth to fit bullet. Some rifles have .251" grooves, others .257". Expand accordingly.
    -trim to 1.125"
    -Anneal again.

This load is 7.0gr of Reloader 7, CCI SP primers and an Arsenal mold 257420 bullet that weighs 72.5gr. This was good for about 1200fps. It may be a little hot for some rifles. Factory loads were said to run 1150fps. I worked up to this load, starting with 5.5gr. It was the most accurate if everything I've tried.

Boolit Grand Master
    Photo appears to be a take-down. Very nice!

I just bought a no. 4 about 2 weeks ago in 22 RF and it is in overall good shape except for the bore. I have a Redmans liner from a earlier project that was sold so at some point I may get to relining it.
    I have a long list of projects ( guns ) and that one will be way down on the list but I love the little rifle for how well it is scaled down from it bigger brothers. Mine only has a trace of case colors and the blue is quite faded but I am going to leave it natural since it’s a hundred + year old gun and don’t mind honest wear from use.
    Mine is also the lever takedown model and it’s still snug so I will leave that alone but it is one point that Remington gets a lower grade for. I guess when manufacturing costs are to be kept as low as possible it was passable.

Jedman

That is sweet !!!

Boolit Master

Jedman - I agree, the early takedown lever design was not very good. About 30 years ago I soldered a #4 barrel into the receiver to cure a loose one. Its still going strong. The later #4s with the takedown screw on the left were said to be an imorovement. Mine is tight.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Case forming is pretty straight foraward:
    -Anneal
    -Run in .25 acp sizer. This leaves a belt ahead of the rim that must be reduced to around .277" diameter. I use a lathe, but it could be done with a drill press and file too.
    -expand the case mouth to fit bullet. Some rifles have .251" grooves, others .257". Expand accordingly.
    -trim to 1.125"
    -Anneal again.

This load is 7.0gr of Reloader 7, CCI SP primers and an Arsenal mold 257420 bullet that weighs 72.5gr. This was good for about 1200fps. It may be a little hot for some rifles. Factory loads were said to run 1150fps. I worked up to this load, starting with 5.5gr. It was the most accurate if everything I've tried.
    Lovely, thank you, Sir.

Boolit Bub
    That's a neat cartridge conversion. I've got a couple of Stevens rifles (a Favorite and a 44) in 25 Stevens and it would be nice to get them back in action.

Boolit Master

I have also taken the next step, converting the hornet based case to rimfire. They use a .22 starter pistol blank as a primer. No need to convert the breech block with these
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210929_184452.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    I have also taken the next step, converting the hornet based case to rimfire. They use a .22 starter pistol blank as a primer. No need to convert the breech block with these
    Now there's an idea! And safer than using nailgun blanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice writeup for a nice rifle and cartridge combination. I wish I'd known just how simple it is to make suitable cases twenty years ago, I've passed on a few .25 RF rifles in that time due to ammo availability.

I like the No. 2 Remington's better, but really for the .22 and .25 the No. 4 may be a better fit. I certainly wouldn't turn down a decent No. 4 just because it was a No.4.

Robert

Boolit Master

I bought a #4 for each of my sons when they were small boys. They are now in their mid-30s and still have them. I bought this .25-10RF #4 only because it was in such nice shape and priced really well. I'm really liking it more than I expected!

I am particularly fond of #2s. I have five of them, and a sixth arriving this week. They go from .22 to .44 cal. I shoot them all. They are really the perfect size!

Despite being a die-hard Stevens fan, I will freely admit that my solid-frame .32 RF #4 is a much more precisely made rifle.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I made one of my #4s into a 32 S&W short. Fun little rifle to shoot.

Boolit Master

Resurrecting an old thread.

Its been a while since I took the old #4 rifle out. So I went to the range yesterday and made a short video about shooting the .25 Stevens centerfire. Having both a rimfire and centerfire breech block makes it very versatile!

https://youtu.be/uW-lgd040ks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 25 Stevens RF__CF.jpg