RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Road Trip

Boolit Master

Road Trip

My Wife and I decided to take a road trip, we were gone 10 days. We left NC and sort of followed I 40 west. In Oklahoma we saw the National Memorial and the National Cowboy Museum. While in Amarillo we drove to the Palo Duro Canyon State Park. Found the J M Davis Firearms Museum in Claremore, OK. From there we went to Coffeyville, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas into Tennessee. While there I visited Dixie Gun Works.

We found some flea markets and antique stores along the way. Our favorite place was Claremore, Oklahoma, we walked downtown looking in antique stores. Everyone we met to seemed to be down home folks, the Davis firearms collection was great.

We hope to do another when we can.

Dave

Sounds like a good time was had, now we need pics.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice firearms related trip. If you ever get up to the Northeast check out the Springfield Armory National Historic Site in MA. On Trip Advisor there's almost 300 reviews and many, many more pictures there that better represent what it is than on it's website.

Boolit Master
    My Grandparents lived in Claremore so I spent a great deal of time there. Will Rogers did too. Great place and people! I'm heading out there in 10 days, then onto Texas and AZ. I'm going to stop at the Firearms museum and the Cowboy Hall of Fame. Good suggestions, thanks!
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Sounds like you had a fantastic trip - good for you and your wife! We travel 40 on our way to and from AZ. We have spent the night many times in Claremore - good people there and along the way. Have spent a few nights in Amarillo as well. It's a four day trip for us and frequent stops with our two small dogs so many things to see to walk them and stretch for us - we really need to take a few extra days and stop to look around a bit along the way as there are so many interesting things to see along the way if you take the time.

John Wayne - have a safe trip - we are on our way to AZ on the 22nd if nothing comes up to delay us.

Boolit Master
    Billy, we would have liked to have spent more time, lots to see. Neither of us had been out that far so it was all new to us. We met a lot of nice folks. Had to leave our little dogs with family, it's hard to take pets and find a room sometimes.

John Wayne, the Cowboy Museum was great, the movie star cowboy section had the pistols John Wayne used in the Shootist, Quigley's saddle and hat and lots of movie props. Some of the paintings are amazing. Could have spent all day at the Davis Museum but we had to move on. Be careful on your trip, traffic can be brutal on I-40, Oklahoma City was the worst.

I don't take many pictures, what I really liked was seeing the country.

Quote Originally Posted by NEKVT View Post
    Nice firearms related trip. If you ever get up to the Northeast check out the Springfield Armory National Historic Site in MA. On Trip Advisor there's almost 300 reviews and many, many more pictures there that better represent what it is than on it's website.
    Agreed on Springfield Museum.
    I go there every time I have business in western Mass.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for the advice Billy and Beemer. I can't wait to see the Cowboy Museum too. I'm planning on taking lot's of closeup pictures of leather work for ideas to use on my own work. Here is one of my rigs and a butt stock cover.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silver%20Dollar%20Don%20006.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	290229 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05821.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	290230
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    My Wife and I decided to take a road trip, we were gone 10 days. We left NC and sort of followed I 40 west. In Oklahoma we saw the National Memorial and the National Cowboy Museum. While in Amarillo we drove to the Palo Duro Canyon State Park. Found the J M Davis Firearms Museum in Claremore, OK. From there we went to Coffeyville, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas into Tennessee. While there I visited Dixie Gun Works.

We found some flea markets and antique stores along the way. Our favorite place was Claremore, Oklahoma, we walked downtown looking in antique stores. Everyone we met to seemed to be down home folks, the Davis firearms collection was great.

We hope to do another when we can.

Dave
    If you passed through Arkansas on I-40 you were within 20 miles or so from me. Too bad we didn't know, we might have met for lunch or something. It sounds like you had a real fun trip.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    If you passed through Arkansas on I-40 you were within 20 miles or so from me. Too bad we didn't know, we might have met for lunch or something. It sounds like you had a real fun trip.
    We went out on I-40 west through Little Rock, if you ever pass through stop at Gus's Fried Chicken. We went across northern Arkansas out of Branson and the tip of Missouri into Tennessee to Union City. It would have been great to meet fellow members as we are few and scattered around.

The reason for Union City was Dixie Gun Works, bought a Chambers Late Ketland Flintlock, will start on that when I finish the half stock on the bench. Have a Rice 42 in. 40 cal. to go with it.