Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Lyman 358430 .35 Rem Load Questions

Boolit Mold

Lyman 358430 .35 Rem Load Questions

Evening All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am currently working up a load for some Lyman 358430 195gr lead that I have sitting on the shelf that I inherited from my grandpa. Gun in question is a 1951 Marlin 336SC chambered in 35 Remington I also inherited from the same grandpa, so assuming his intentions were to load these as well.

I have some extra IMR 8208 XBR that I would like to try out with this round and was curious if anyone has done similar that would be willing to share a recipe or at least a baseline starting point for charge.

Not looking for anything crazy, mainly going to hunt whitetail @100yds or less with this rifle so a consistent shot is what my end game is.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    AF

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Do not expect normal accuracy or freedom from leading with a plainbased bullet above about 1450 fps. In the .35 Remington about 10 grains of Unique or 12 grains of Herco should do it.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sometimes you can't get there from here.

I fear your "surplus" 8208 will not do what you want. Its burn rate is too slow for a plain base, mid-bore cast boolit. I do not know how well it responds to down loading, but the start load for a 200 grain FTX is 33.2 grains giving 1799 fps. I'd try 30 grains, if I had no other choices, but 8208 was made for .223-308 sized cartridges, especially the Creedmoor and similar rounds. "Old," "Fat" and "Slow" may be applicable to my description, but 8208 was designed to launch long slender bullets accurately at very long ranges. You will not likely have the success that you desire.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    ive been toying with 8208 in 444 marlin with plain base bullets and have gotten to almost 1600 fps using clww and carnauba red lube sized to .432.
    I think 8208 is a very promising powder worth experimenting with but your going to want a gas checked bullet to get that 35 rem up to factory ammo velocity.
    35 rem is one caliber that has for me been a true pleasure to load cast bullets and pushing to full velocity without any problems and great accuracy.
    for that bullet in 35 rem you would probably be best off with reloder 7 or 4198. im just guessing ive never shot the 430 in35 rem. but going by what Lyman has tested and published is a good place to start

Boolit Grand Master
    I’d take a hard pass on that bullet for hunting whitetail deer. No gascheck, wrong shape, poor expansion at a velocity that will shoot well which will pretty much be in line with what Outpost suggests.

Would strongly recommend the RCBS 200 FN instead. Factory equivalent velocity and performance on deer can be obtained, said by somebody who regularly does just that. Your bullet doesn’t measure up in comparison.

I have the same gun and same mold. Lyman recommended it seated at a short OAL because it starts hitting rifling if seated long. Unfortunately in my gun, I started getting the Marlin Jam seating that short. If I recall, I believe I fixed the carrier by slightly bending it. I bought Lee’s version of the RCBS gas check 200 grain bullet and it’s wonderful with the above unique load.

Boolit Master
    You really do need a gas check to shoot those.
    Otherwise, you could lite load them over 3-5 grains of fast powder like Bullseye or 700X or Red Dot and use them for small game or target shooting.
    If they aren't lubed, that needs to be done too.
    Maybe that was your Grandpa's plan for those plain based bullets?.
    Good Luck.

Boolit Master

See if you can get one of the guys that have a set of Pat Marlin's checkmakers to give you some .35PB gas checks. They work pretty well with that bullet in the .35 Rem.

There is always a way. Well almost always./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

I have the RCBS 35-200 and NOE 35-230fn ready to go, gas checked and sized to .358, if you want to try some? PM me and I will send them, hc18flyer

Quote Originally Posted by AFenske View Post
    Evening All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am currently working up a load for some Lyman 358430 195gr lead that I have sitting on the shelf that I inherited from my grandpa. Gun in question is a 1951 Marlin 336SC chambered in 35 Remington I also inherited from the same grandpa, so assuming his intentions were to load these as well.

I have some extra IMR 8208 XBR that I would like to try out with this round and was curious if anyone has done similar that would be willing to share a recipe or at least a baseline starting point for charge.

Not looking for anything crazy, mainly going to hunt whitetail @100yds or less with this rifle so a consistent shot is what my end game is.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    AF
    For a hunting load I'd choose my alloy hardness and work up a load. You may be able to get adequate accuracy and velocity for whatever your hunting situation ends up being. And, seeing as it's hunting, leading just isn't the concern that it would be for a bench warmer.

You may be able to work up a hunting load that will in effect whoosh the boolit out of the barrel with an inefficient burn that leaves unconsumed powder in the case. Don't know if IMR8208XBR will let you do that. I've done it (with other powders and other cartridges) as a means of getting higher velocities before plastic deformation of the boolit base destroyed any hope of adequate accuracy. It's a technique that might be worth a try. My Marlin is a 1953 and my #358430 hasn't been used for anything except playing with paper patches for a 9.3mm so that's the only whit of experience that's here to offer.