MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Gulf Coast Foundry pigs from Sarasota area

Boolit Master

Gulf Coast Foundry pigs from Sarasota area

One of my motorcycle buddies had some pigs, 29# each that he was willing to part with. They don't seem dead soft so who knows what they are...could be wheel weights. Gulf Coast apparently served the maritime industry.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211009_155822.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	289984

Vendor Sponsor

That's a sacrificial anode, attached to marine hulls by flatbar welded across the ends hence the notches. Those afaik are a lot of zinc and aluminum in there but I could be wrong.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Doug.

Boolit Master

A drop or two of muriatic acid should tell you. Zinc sizzles lead does not.

Boolit Master
    Apparently the sailing guys down there were using them for ballast, thinking they were lead. They are heavy. I think Doug nailed it.

Vendor Sponsor

The only thing that throws me off is that most of those anodes are cast around a strip of carbon steel, so it's captive, and they weld this onto the hull, rudder, torque nozzles, anywhere they want to prevent electrolysis from eating the boat. These don't look like they are cast onto anything, they look like the notches in the ends are there for a strap of flatbar to hold them on. In which case, once they were consumed enough to slip out of the flatbar, they would just fall off so either they aren't made for a ships hull, they are meant for a different application but still the same job, to prevent damage from electrolysis. I dunno, my guess is zinc/aluminum alloy but I could be wrong.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I did the acid test, they contain zinc. I think they may have been intended for boat ballast, sure are heavy. Maybe unsorted wheel weights melted down by the foundry.

Boolit Grand Master

Too bad that it wasn't lead. Glad you found out about the Zinc before you contaminated any of your other lead.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Too bad that it wasn't lead. Glad you found out about the Zinc before you contaminated any of your other lead.
    Yeah, I could use a healthy score of dead soft. Have plenty tin and lino and ww.

Scrap yards pay a bit more for zinc in ingots than in WW's I forget what I was paid when I took some in that I culled from a mixed batch of lead and zinc bars. It was a good deal more than WW's would have fetched. Less than brass cases.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat