MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Report

Boolit Master

Game Report

Hunting season for any kind of critter with a firearm has not opened here yet, other than squirrel. But the anticipation is getting the best of me. Any report of hunting success would be appreciated (photo's are good). Let us all in on your success on anything from rabbits to Rhinos. I really like taking in the story of a successful hunt that's shared. I think that the experience & memory of events is the icing on the cake.

Boolit Master

I dont have any successful hunts yet, but this deer is asking for trouble from my daughters.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210930_184301.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	289985

Saw a nice little bull moose a few days ago, while looking at our elk hunting area! He’s very safe for a multitude of reasons......well, except for the wolves! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

I took a bear with my Win 92 in 357 mag and a mediocre buck with my bow

Boolit Master
    The wife and I got hunt deer for two days, never saw hair. Probably wont get out again until elk season.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just got back from a successful black bear hunt
    took a large bear and am working on the hide
    also had a wonderful meal of bbq bear ribs
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I aint bought any tags yet but my friends have gotten antelope, elk, moose and deer so far.
    I've been wanting to go chucker hunting but its been to warm whenever I get the chance

Boolit Master
    The early deer season for muzzleloaders has come and gone here. We had a doe tag for the unit around our neighborhood so I stayed close to home for the week. I knew the deer population was depressed but when I saw more mountain lions than deer while driving logging roads and walking what used to be productive areas, the deer are in real trouble here. With the deer population crashing, the lions will no doubt do that soon due to starvation. That is how nature works. With all the frenzied logging that happened in the last 2 years, the deer will come back fast as the lions get scarce with all that food rich "edge habitat" that they like so much. Not too far from here the same thing happened to one of my other favorite areas when I saw three mountain lions (not just lion sign) working the area. It has taken the deer about 5 years to make a comeback there but it is happening.

Mrs shawlerbrook and I have been out 4 or 5 bow hunting for deer on our farm. Saw a few doe, but the weather has been extremely warm, wet and windy. Saw a fisher and a coyote which was cool.

Last weekend we went out for pronghorn. After a gruelling day that saw us hike more than 20 miles, I spotted a buck and his harem from my spot on the cliff. I tried to put a stalk on them down in the canyon, but they kept spooking and drifting away. Finally I figured out that they were going to scoot along a little gully and that I could use the cliff edge as cover to get into position on the other side of it. I got to my spot just as the first animal crested the cliff edge right in front of me. Busted a nice doe (all we could get tags for) at 75 yards even though she was starting to move as I shot. With factory 350 legend ammo, she dropped where she was hit. The other doe and the buck then demonstrated exactly how fast they can run.

Went out for ML deer yesterday. We like to hunt an island in the river, which requires wading and keeps the other hunters out. Right around dawn a yearling doe walks toward me on the trail to about 40 yards, spooks at something across the river channel, and scoots out to about 70 yards away from me and poses broadside. A little far for my unaided eyesight, but I took the shot. While waiting the requisite 30 minutes after the shot, another doe walks by me towards where my buddy is posted up. I let her pass and stayed still until she was out of sight, then found my doe 20 yards from where she was hit and quite dead in the long grass. I take a pic, put down my pack and hear my buddy shoot. His muley doe walked to within 20 yards of him. He hit a little high and blew up a section of spine, but had to go mountain man and finish her off by slitting the throat.

A 58 round ball over 75 grains of OE 1.5F in a Zoli Zouave made short work of my small doe. In the ribs, golf ball sized hole in the heart, collateral damage to the lungs, through the far shoulder, and off to parts unknown. Would have loved to find the ball since the exit hole was about an inch in diameter.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

Nice bull moose walked through the house yard 3 days ago. nice sized paddle rack about 700 pounds easy. Went down the driveway crossed the road and walked through the neighbors electric sheep fence tearing it down . He was drooling all the time. Rut is on for sure.

Season opens next weekend for lucky permitees.

In our area there is a lot of complaining because of the Summer's drought. Deer are in poor shape. You can see ribs on the does. Found a dead fawn this morning. This will be a brutal winter.

Jim

Boolit Master

Name:	B6E9F7C6-9CD7-418A-AB3B-DB8E999B9266.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	290080Grandson had a great day opening of Youth Day. 2 shots with .243 about 70 yds.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Third morning, I hunted during our length archery season, on my acreage. Wednesday, last week, took this 6 point for the freezer. Now to concentrate one with larger headgear. I only hunt in the mornings, for the first three hours or so. First day out, last Monday, had a parade of seven does, walk past my stand. Been hot and dry here. Archery season started the third weekend in September. I usually don't hunt till after October 1st.......because of the warm weather.

Name:	10-6-21 (6 pt) on Bella's B-day..jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	290107

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Attachment 290131 One groundhog at 30 yards with a hard cast 35 at about 1,000 fps. It jumped 2' and scooted into the old barn. Two days later something pulled it out of the hole and to the grass in front of the barn. The vultures were plentiful.

Attachment 290132 The next evening I was sporting the 17HMR for the same task to clean the old barn of these floor destroying rodents. This one didn't jump, or run, it just rolled off the rock perch and twitched a bit.

The deer hunting bug hasn't bit me yet. I suspect when the weather cools I'll decide to go out with a bow until gun season arrives.

Boolit Grand Master

I just checked the Virginia website, and it looks like your bear season is open for firearms. Most bird hunting appears open, including dove and ducks. Bobcat is open. I'm guessing Coyote is open year round. Along with that, it appears turkey opens next weekend.

I'd get out there.

Boolit Master

Got my first meat deer Friday.

Still too warm here.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    I aint bought any tags yet but my friends have gotten antelope, elk, moose and deer so far.
    I've been wanting to go chucker hunting but its been to warm whenever I get the chance

That’s rapidly changing as we speak! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master
    We had an early 3-day hunt on bears Sept. 27-29. It was just too hot, if lucky the flies would be on it in no time. Archery is rolling but I've got bad shoulders & elbows. Bought 2 Excalibur X-Bows Wife used hers a few times last year mine's in the box still. Muzz. season starts Oct. 30th I'll be there if not raining. I'm a rifle hunter & don't want to use my tags using a bow.

I killed a doe this past Friday with the crossbow .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by marshall623; 10-18-2021 at 09:39 PM.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast