Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apparently not the first!

Boolit Master
    That’s the broken front end of a Clovis spear point. It likely broke when he killed what he (they) was hunting. I’m sure it is still razor sharp.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    I was told that it was likely a hatchet / small butchering axe blade. The cleft definitely suggests being bound to a shaft or handle of some sort. It is far too large for an arrow, and the remaining knapped radius is such that being from a spear or atlatl dart would be highly unlikely.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Clovis points are “up to nine inches in length and up to two inches wide”

https://study.com/learn/lesson/clovi...s-history.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FCD359B1-04BB-4012-92DE-3B4236E447E4.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	290088
    They came in a variety of sizes.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy
    That piece looks bigger than that

The OP's point is rounded on the tip and and the serrations are large whereas the Clovis points have very fine serrations and more pointed tips.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    I find stuff like that all the time at my house(east ky). I honestly believe my house was built in a Indian city, I find fossilized bones with cut marks all the time, fossilized nuts and wood. I ran natural gas from the well to the house(1500’) and in the 8”x18” ditch I found 2-3 points 5-6 scrapers and other artifacts. I was hunting last year and dropped a doe in a creek and when I went down to get her she was laying 6” away from a point, it made me think the same thing….I wonder how many deer/animals were taken in this exact spot…

Boolit Master

My dad farmed with horses in the 1930s. They broke virgin land and every year stone spear points, arrow heads, scrappers, axes, and other tools would show on the surface.
    Sitting on a horse drawn implement at 2 miles an hour pulled by horses gave a farmer time to watch the fields. My dad picked up many of these on the over 600 acres he farmed.
    The local museum said they have no value as they were found in a field with no story.
    The story is that these artifacts were lost, or tossed when broken in the past 6000 years by the folks who used them every day.
    The family farm is located in an area where the last glaciation ice melted between 5000 and 6000 years ago. It was heavily utilized by the pre colonization folks who lived there after the ice melted
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Buddy
    Alberta! Probably the most beautiful place I've been! Never got to the Peace River area but one of my Canadian podnas hunts there. Saw lots of pictures!! I was lucky enough to hunt southwest of Edmonton. Took the Yellowhead west toward Jasper....deer, elk and bighorn sheep aplenty. Awesome countryside!!
    Last edited by 1Papalote; 10-12-2021 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Nice find. What part of the country are you located? How did you spot something as small as that?
    It's makes no sense on what you will spot, when I was a kid, I drove into woodchuck holes in the field while working ground, but managed to spot and pick up a couple of arrow heads(flint in SE Michigan) while working ground.

The family story always was that just north of where my great-grandfather built his house there had been an Indian village. A number of times while we still were farming it in the 60's and 70's we would be approached by people who wanted to sift through the soil either in the fall after fall plowing or in the spring when we were fitting out the ground to plant.

Sometimes we would let them, sometimes we wouldn't, all depended on how they asked. Had some that came up with the attitude that it was their right to go in the field. They didn't make it. Kicked some out who just parked on the road and started walking around.

Crazy people even back then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12