Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting snacks

couple of apples and maybe water, oranges if I have 'em.

Corn, lots of corn.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

I bring 2 drinks and 2 sandwiches for lunch. My classics are Powerade, and salami sandwiches. If I know I'm in for a serious workout, I've also brought a banana. No snacks.

Boolit Buddy
    What .....no John Wayne cookies? I take a couple of the cookies, jerky (deer, elk, beef) I might be superstitious but I only took bear jerky one year.....never saw any deer on those days......maybe they still associate the smell. I also like crackers and cheese/peanut butter( not as quiet as jerky) and a bottle of water water.
    I have a buddy who gets dressed goes into the local diner for a big skillet breakfast then heads out. I can smell him if I'm downwind....but he always fills his tags.......maybe I should bottle that skillet breakfast for lure
    Do I have a knife....Ive got my pants on don't I.

Boolit Master

Canned ham, cheese, alum foil wrapped baked potato for my two day hunting forays
    in the mountains of Wyoming & Montana. Water from the streams
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Huh.....never thought about baked taters......put em in your coat (under your armpits....provided your pits don't smell like bad burritos) help keep ya warm, when they cool ya get a good carb fix. Here in Central Il. you need to bring water or a dependable filter....if you've ever had amoebic Hershey HooHaahs.......you'll filter your own spit before you swallow it

Boolit Buddy
    Oh and an insulated camel back filled with hot strong black or darjeeling .......honey/cream for the tea....black hot and thick for the Joe.

Boolit Buddy
    When I was a kid, my dad used to carry a block of dehydrated mince meat in his hunting vest, and when we took a break, he'd bust it out and carve off hunks to eat. It often had pheasant/woodcock/dove feathers or rabbit/squirrel hair stuck to the outside, but it was good. He'd also give a little to our pointer or setter, which I now realize was a really BAD idea: Mince meat contains raisins, which are very toxic to dogs (also grapes -- the skin of grapes and raisins contain a toxin that can cause kidney failure in dogs)!

ETA: Not easy to find but it's still out there. I'll have to get some and put it into my hunting vest...I suspect a slice of it when hunting would take me back 45 years.

Last edited by Buck Shot; 10-12-2021 at 08:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    bacon sarnie ,bananas ,jerky ,chocolate and a flask of tea.all depends on whats handy.

Boolit Buddy

Good ole peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich, Oreos, water or power ade.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hunting on my own land there is no need for a lot of snacks. At the hunt camp, we come in around 10:30 for brunch and head back out at 2:00. I normally carry a few granola type bars and a bottle of water or Gatorade
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I used to carry some parched corn, some chocolate, and tea. I had a cup and tea bags, melted some snow, and made a small fire.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    nah,,,condensed mincemeat sounded good, no one has it, even teh MAKER..

Guess itll be back to chewing tree bark and pine needles to pass the time. Maybe soak a bit of grass clippings in water to make a drink. Ohh what luxury

Boolit Buddy
    I make my own "trail mix" from peanuts, raisins, and m&m's put up in the snack size baggies. Mid-morning in the stand is a small thermos of coffee and a Little Debbie "nutty bar". It doesn't get hard or freeze like a Snickers bar in cold weather. I want to keep all my fillings.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    I make my own "trail mix" from peanuts, raisins, and m&m's put up in the snack size baggies. Mid-morning in the stand is a small thermos of coffee and a Little Debbie "nutty bar". It doesn't get hard or freeze like a Snickers bar in cold weather. I want to keep all my fillings.
    No worries! Just buy the "miniature" Snickers and pop the whole thing in your mouth for a few minutes, it'll melt!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Anymore I usually only hunt about 3-4 hours at a time as my arthritis will tell me I’m done. I always have water and usually carry a energy bar or something light. I am a big breakfast person and eat a good breakfast before heading out, in the evening I usually don’t carry any snacks maybe just a bottle of water.

Jedman

My hunting provisions have always been my Stanley thermos filled with milk out the tank at the farm,some sort of cheese and some sort of cured or smoked meat or fish to nibble on. Smoked steelhead is a favorite of mine. I developed a tase for smoked steelhead on my trips to Eastern Washington State.
    J.m Shrader

Boolit Buddy
    Apples to hide my coffee breath and trail mix.
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Mantecol (Peanut Bar)
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Coffee, a few cheese sticks and some venison or beef jerky for me. I usually have a kid with me on the stand these days so they often bring cheese balls or marshmallows and a few granola bars (they gotta make it hard on their diabetic dad!) and water.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast