Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Micro 9? Not so fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Kimber Micro 9? Not so fine.

Recently, Midway had a sale on the Laser Sighted Desert Tan Black version of the Micro 9. I ordered one and promptly received it at my LGS, where for a $35.00 fee, It was transferred to me. Hot Dog! A new toy to take to the range and run some rounds through to see if it would be the replacement for my Colt Mustang in my EDC battery. Ain't happening, folks.

Out of the first 72 rounds, factory Acquila FMJ's and Winchester Silver Box Hollow points, I had 5 light primer strikes. I called Kimber to inquire if there was a known problem with an easy fix--sadly, no soap. I took the gun down, removed the Firing pin and the firing pin spring to thoroughly clean the firing pin channel, flushing it out with carburetor cleaner and scrubbing it with a pipe cleaner. Yesterday, I went back to the range. In 5 magazines, I had one more light primer strike, but now it is dropping the mag, at least once every 7 shots, sometimes more often. In 107 rounds, 6 light primer strikes and at least 8 mag drops. I'm calling Kimber to send this back to Yonkers, but I am very disappointed. This not the standard my other Kimbers led me to expect.

Having a bit of trouble getting my camera to work, but I'll post a picture later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	micro 9.jpg 
Views:	918 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	288795
    Last edited by rintinglen; 09-16-2021 at 12:01 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Sig P365

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sig P365? Too small for my hands.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Sig P365XL

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Sad to hear. Kimber is top quality.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My Micro .380 had problems with the mag dropping. Sent it back and they replaced the mag release, it's been fine ever since. Check your back plate on the slide, make sure it's not binding on the firing pin and/or the hole is not lined up. I think 9mm is too much for this design, honestly I wouldn't even put too many .380 +p's through it either. I feed mine the Lee 356-102-2R over 3 grains Bullseye, pretty much duplicating factory ball.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    The mag dropping issue was the primary reason I sold my Sig P238 HD. Maybe it was fine for right handed people, but I couldn't get past it. I didn't realize it was a thing on other guns too.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Sig P938. nearing 3k trouble free rounds for me. feeds 115 and 124 HP with ease, 115 and 124 rn and TC cast as well. I have the SAS model.

Vendor Sponsor

Also take the barrel out and make sure your rounds plunk and spin freely. If not, what you could be experiencing is the firing pin seating the round farther into the throat rather than the primer absorbing all the energy and it can appear like random light strikes when in fact it is something else.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Years ago while working in a large national Sporting Goods store, we had a LOT of Kimber customers bringing their guns back for refunds - some in pieces they could not figure out how to reassemble. It was a disaster and I often wonder why we did not drop Kimber from the lineup. Our store policy was no refunds on firearms but I heard tell of several law suits filed regarding that mess. I avowed then to not become a Kimber customer. I hope that now, 7 years later, Kimber has improved things.

Boolit Grand Master
    If factory ammo that works in several other 9's doesn't plunk, that's an issue with the gun. But I'll let Kimber deal with it.

My Kimber Custom II has been outstanding from the get go, and my Bel Air Micro 9 has likewise run well. I don't get why this one is such a pile. Well, nobody hit a homerun every time. Now we'll see how Kimber's customer service measures up. I am supposed to get an RMA from them today. I'll ck when I get home.

Boolit Master

my wifes kimber micro 9 has been fine as far as shooting, no misfires or dud's like you describe but man that thing is a pita to disassemble for cleaning
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Kimber quality has been hit and miss for quite a number of years. Sorry you got a lemon

Boolit Grand Master
    Kimber can't be any worse than Ruger, or for that matter S&W. Out of 8 Rugers I bought between 2010 and 2018, 3 went back to the factory, and a 4th should have. The last two new S&W's had serious defects and the poor customer service response has determined that those are going to be the LAST two S&W new revolvers I buy. It seems as though nobody makes a consistent effort at quality control these days.

I have completely given up on new guns in general. QC is a joke. The last S&W I had came with that chicken scratch rifling and wouldn't shoot boolits for beans.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

My micro9 was dropping the mag too when I was breaking it in. I think it was me having too much finger through the trigger hitting the release. After getting used to to it, I dont have the issue anymore.
    I do have an issue with the 7 round mag loaded with a full 7 jamming on the second round. Works fine with 6.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, it's off to Alabama. Here's hoping they can fix its troubles.

I almost bought one about 3 or 4 years ago. The dealer had about 12 or 15 in the show case and 1 Ruger SR1911 OM. The Ruger SR1911 OM was priced $100.00 higher than the Kimber so naturally I asked to see the Kimber (also the Kimber looked better than the Ruger). The 1st. one I tried had a terrible trigger. The 2nd.one was no better & the same for the 3rd..

I have a Marvel 1911 trigger stoning jig, but at that time did not know for sure if the Micro-9 was a true 1911 or just similar to a 1911. When I asked to see the SR1911 OM it was no contest. That Ruger trigger was (and is) perfect. I paid the $100.00 extra and have never regretted the decision. I've had zero issues with that gun.

A grandson-in-law shot the Ruger on one occasion & the next time they visited he had a SR1911 OM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Reportedly, in the hands of UPS, returning Tuesday afternoon.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, UPS left it lying on my front porch--so much for adult signature required. The packing slip says they replaced the magazine catch, firing pin, and firing pin block, polished the feed ramp, refinished the barrel and reamed the chamber. They fired 4 magazines of Federal 147 grn. ammo through it and call it good. Well, tomorrow we shall see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast