Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25 acp?? (Yeah, I know...)

Boolit Master

25 acp?? (Yeah, I know...)

Ok, so I was pissed at not being able to find any bullets in stock to reload 25 acp, and further pissed at the price of them if they would have been in stock! It's already questionable to bother loading the little critter, but I had wanted to just for fun, and because 25 acp ammo is ridiculous in price, even if you could ever find it. But I'm not particularly excited about the idea of gearing up to cast for it too!!

So.... I stumbled across some air gun pellets, and with not much to lose, I bought them. They look really nice! They're swaged, 55 grain, hollow point. The only problem: they're very soft at BHN 6.

:~(

So, the big question. You guys think there's a snowball's chance I can use them successfully if I powder coat them?? Any suggestions?

Please don't berate me for loading 25 acp, it's a personal choice...

Thanks!
    Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master

There is nothing wrong with the 25 acp. If those don't work for you try to get the lyman 252435 mold. There are usually used ones available.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    How about #3 buckshot for a bullet?

Boolit Master

Nothing wrong with loading .25 brother. I would hunt a mold. I can't remember offhand what I have, I think it's a 50'ish gr. RCBS. They are a pain to find, look on Ebay. None of the main line makers still produce them. I'm going to say the hollow base nature of pellets are not going to be conducive. Are you sure they are 55 gr? That is a MASSIVE airgun pellet. I shoot Diablo Super Jumbo's and they are 18 gr.

Hi, my name is Wayne and I load 25 auto. The preferred load for my Armi Galesi is the Lyman 252435 as cast, Ben's Liquid Lube, over 1.4 gr Unique. The boolit has a nominal book weight of 51 gr.

If the air gun pellets have a skirt, that might be a problem. If plain-based, you could probably PC and shoot, as you said. 55 gr or more might be a bit heavy for the 25 auto, so I would start LOW. You might not need to do anything more that tumble lube since velocity is not that great.

Wayne

PS: If you wanted to try some of my boolits, I would be happy to send some. Just PM me with your particulars.
    Last edited by WRideout; 10-09-2021 at 10:27 AM. Reason: additional info
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    I have loaded the 25acp in the past. I used the RCBS 50 grain mold and jacketed 50 grain boolits. Both worked well in a Beretta 950 but I could not get an appreciable accuracy from the 35 grains boolits.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Grand Master

Got a pic of the pellets? I certainly would try if I already had some. PCing permits too soft bullets to be used OK with no leading...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    Hi, my name is Wayne and I load 25 auto. The preferred load for my Armi Galesi is the Lyman 252435 as cast, Ben's Liquid Lube, over 1.4 gr Unique. The boolit has a nominal book weight of 51 gr.

If the air gun pellets have a skirt, that might be a problem. If plain-based, you could probably PC and shoot, as you said. 55 gr or more might be a bit heavy for the 25 auto, so I would start LOW. You might not need to do anything more that tumble lube since velocity is not that great.

Wayne

PS: If you wanted to try some of my boolits, I would be happy to send some. Just PM me with your particulars.
    That's funny Wayne. A Armi Galesi is what started me casting .25 also. Picked it up at a Gander Mt. for $69 sold as "Parts only". Shoots great. Now I have 5-6 little 25's.

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the 25 acp. If those don't work for you try to get the lyman 252435 mold. There are usually used ones available.
    When the puddle on top of the sprue plate weighs more than your boolits.

Boolit Grand Master
    BHN of 6 is pretty close to pure lead in hardness. Out of a handgun, with its resulting low velocities you may be able to get away with one of the tumble type lubes instead of powder coating.

I don't see anything wrong with loading the little critter, except for possible finger pinching. A set of forceps may be in your future.

Not knowing the diameter of your pellets, you may have to run them trough a sizing die.

I have everything needed for loading the .25 ACP, except a mold. I do have about a quart of 50 gr FMJ on hand though, somewhat north of 2,000 of the dinky projectiles.

I have a .25 ACP rifle project in the works; most of the needed parts are here, just waiting the time to install a liner and put everything together.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I shoot super soft boolits all the time. PC hollow points in all my handguns. No problem at all and no leading.

Boolit Master
    Well, this is sounding promising. Glad I wrote in.

Some of you misunderstand though, and are thinking of the common, classic cheaper air rifle little skirted pellets. That's not what these are. These are proper little flat based, hollow point bullets weighing 55 grains and intended to be shot out of high end air guns at 1000 fps more or less for hunting. They're really very cool and I like them.

See pic.

Oh, and they are exactly .250". Powder coating them might be the best, both for size, and because of how soft they are??

Vettepilot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16338215629381771511853.jpg  

I STILL want an old Beretta Jetfire? model 950 .25 acp pistol. John Browning's littlest cartridge is fun. I had a Galesi that was accurate and fun until the striker tunnel split out the bottom from fatigue. I will definitely reload for it if one comes my way.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Check NOE. I have and like several of his moulds, have no financial interest in his company. https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product-category/251/

Boolit Grand Master

Those "slugs" are more like a NLG bullet than a pellet (wasp waist, skirted, hollow base). I definately would try PCing some. BTW a .25 caliber air rifle would very possibly produce higher velocity than a 25 Auto load in a mini-gun...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Oh yes! The high end air guns routinely shoot these over 1000 fps. A 25 acp won't reach that velocity.

I wrote the company asking about loading these in smokers, but they said they had no experience and couldn't comment.

BTW, they have these in several weights, from 33 gr. in small graduations up higher than 55 I believe.

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    So what's the consensus here? Lube them with Alox and try them, or just "bite the bullet" () and go ahead and powder coat them?

Does anyone here know how deeply you can safely seat the projectile in 25 acp?? With only .2 gr spread between start and max charges, I'd say there's not much room for mistakes nor experimentation!

Thanks!
    Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 10-10-2021 at 02:36 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

I have both a Beretta 950BS and a Beretta 418 (from 1939) in .25acp, and to my way of thinking I'd save factory for "carry", while using my 252435 castings for fun/practice. I do not believe you'll have any problem at all using those 55 gn airgun slugs! Bion, I have a couple of airguns (albeit in .22) which shoot at significantly higher velocity than powder-fired .25's!
    I should think that any lub might work -- I'd try whichever is more convenient/at hand -- and if it works -- e.g., 100% function and no lead -- simply stick with it. With the mouse-length Beretta barrels I've not had any leading issues.
    My only issue was in the actual loading, as I started using a huge pair of tweezers I bent a "zero" shape into, as to start the bullet in my press actually became painful after even a handful or two of cases. I took the "expensive way" out and -- while I was kind of looking for a press to minimize run-out in another calibre (.221 Rem Fireball) -- I elected to purchase a Mayville Engineering press. (Best thing I've done in a lonnng time!) By happerstance, there is soooo much finger room my loading .25acp (and, also .380) is now a pleasure! An added 'bonus' is it has a free-floating shell holder, and has drastically reduced any runout in all cartridges I use this press to load.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MEC Marksman.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	290071
    Back to your pellet query -- I doubt if you'll have problems with either lub. I keep my loaded cases at 0.900" OAL; I lub my cast bullets in a Lyman 450; and, I use H&I .251" sizing die.
    Good luck!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll measure the length of a few of the 50 gr FMJ I have. Simple subtraction from OAL and case length should give the seating depth. I'll report back tomorrow.

I've never powder coated anything, but I have to think that tumble lubing is simpler, at least til you find out if the bullets work in your gun.

Robert

Boolit Master
    They are soft enough i would lube one and push it down the barrel to see if it will engage the rifling at current size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast