RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: So looking for any advice for a 180 gr 38 spl round

Boolit Buddy

So looking for any advice for a 180 gr 38 spl round

I have bought a mold that is 180 gr for my Ruger security six yes it's a 357 mag but I'm also looking for some information on a 38 spl round that I can also use this Boolite with.

I'm looking for both a +p load and a light plinking load. I have a friend and she likes how the 180 gr shoots out of the 357 mag but all she has is a 38 spl it's a old Colt Police Positive 38 spl she likes that wheel gun a lot I want to give her a nice 180 gr bullet for it. I'm mostly looking at this for SD against hogs she hikes a lot and has ran into a few of them.

Also if anyone knows where to get snake shot capsules for 38/357 let me know.

Powder I have on hand that I'd like to use.

Zip
    True blue
    800-x
    H110

Thanks!

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Without knowing the specific bullets you are using, for magnum loads h110 is good.
    I shoot many 155-175 grain bullets with h110 in 357 magnum.

For light loads 231 worked well in my guns.
    I used 231 loading the lee 200 grain 35 caliber rifle bullet in 38 special brass.

The specific bullet you use will affect seating depth and overall length.

Tell us which load data books you have already looked at, maybe someone has a different one listing the information you want.

Be safe.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I am shooting a 195gr in 38 special with 2400 so h110 should work on the low side. I use the Lee manual for this load. <Some people don't like Lee>Winchester has a load for a heavy boolit with 231 in the older books. I have some Speer plastic shot capsules that I load anything from bb's to #9 shot.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 10-09-2021 at 09:13 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    That Police Positive is a very poor choice for plus P, heavy boolit loads. V-spring colts simply do not stand up to heavy loads, parts availability is low and the number of gunsmiths competent to repair one grows smaller by the year. I have 12, but I baby 'em: I'd go with 3.6-4.0 grains of WW231 for that. In fact, I'd load 3.4 grains for practice. Alternatively. 4.2-4.7 grains of True Blue might do well.

In your 357, I'd try 13.5-14.5 grains of H-110, or 12.5-13.5 grains of 4100.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    For got to add the bullet is a MP 359 Hammer Solid Mold. Thanks for the advice about the +p load we don't want to go that route.

I love this bullet in 357 mag I have used 13.0 of H-110 and at 1,350 fps still easy to shoot.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In the older D-frame Colts 3 to 3.2 grains of Bullseye will give about 700 fps and be within standard pressure. Do not exceed this if you want the gun to last. In .357 guns you can go to 3.5 grains of Bullseye or Titegroup in .38 Special brass or 4.5 grains I. .3857 brass.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

rintinglen nailed it. Don't push it with the little Colt. Use starting loads for a 200 gr bullet for your 180 grain bullet using fast burning powder. Shot loads can be made easily without the Speer capsules. There's a forum here devoted to shotshells for handguns.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    rintinglen nailed it. Don't push it with the little Colt. Use starting loads for a 200 gr bullet for your 180 grain bullet using fast burning powder. Shot loads can be made easily without the Speer capsules. There's a forum here devoted to shotshells for handguns.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    I'd like to see that post about the pistol shot shells.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tayous1 View Post
    I'd like to see that post about the pistol shot shells.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/for...ds-For-Pistols