WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Zeroed and tried some loads in a Ruger #3, .223 yesterday, finally got it done.

Boolit Master

Zeroed and tried some loads in a Ruger #3, .223 yesterday, finally got it done.

I bought a .223 #3 off of a board member I consider a good friend. It has a very nice trigger, and is in great condition. He had told me it shot 80 gr cast good, but I never had any cast loaded up, but do have some 55grs cast. With J word bullets it shot 55gr sp's into half an inch for 3 shot groups, kinda of a smiley face. I had recently loaded up some 69gr Sieera BTHP's and man did it like those, first 3 went into a cluster that was .420 outside to outside group. They shot about 4 inches lower, but dead on back and forth. I was running these bullets at 3000fps with a hefty load of Varget, no pressure signs whatsoever. I put on a Vortex 4x12 Crossfire for optics that I got with it. This rifle has a home. I have had mixed results with Ruger #1's, about 50/50 with getting them to shoot. This is my 3rd #3, another .223 and .22 Hornet both long gone, and both of those shot great, barrel band and all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0858.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	290014 my ruger #3 in 45-70 has shot like this from day one, nothing done to it but shoot it. 3 shot group with a 300 gr j bullet at 100 yards moving at 2000 fps.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0863 (2).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	290015 my ruger #1 with the same load at 100 yards.

Boolit Master

Very nice rifles and good shooting.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

My 45-70s like the 300s as well. The 300 makes a nice hog and deer load with R-7. They are pleasant to shoot also.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers