Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frankford Arsenal Hand Deprimer for Mindless Process of Depriming

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 3d printer also, though I'm pretty new to it. Ender 3 v2

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I use my FA hand decapper for almost all of my brass.

I love it as I can do it in my recliner. Then walk 5 steps to the kitchen, do a citric acid wash soak swirl and rinse.
    Then I like to dump the brass in a towel and run a small brush through the primer pocket. A towel folded in half laying on my leg then is used to roll the brass down the towel. This catches any splits or problems.

Once the batch is done they get put on the gas stove over the pilot as a nice warm spot to finish drying.

Dies remain clean as a whistle, no dirt, grit, sand, powder residue to mark up brass.

And the brass is clean enough inside to see the primer hole. Makes watching a loading tray full of primed charged brass dead easy to see any inconsistency's of powder level.

I would say this is one of the best tools I have ever bought. And it encouraged me to clean my brass with citric acid wash. Since it was right close and handy.

My brass does not look like new, but it does not have to. By the same token, it is also not soot stained and dingy.
    It looks respectable. And its dead easy to do, and does not take a lot of time. What time it does take I can be watching a movie or a youtube video at the same time.

Win win for me.

PS, mine has only dumped primers once. But I am considering that mod for the pill vial. Seems like a better design.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post
    This kind of pill-bottle recycling is why I post such obvious tools -- and why I save my old pill bottles (much to my wife's consternation: she calls me a "hoarder"). Somebody always has a better idea.

The great thing about hot glue is that you can remove it if you don't like it, but also holds very well if applied properly.

I can only dream about having one of the automatic machines proffered.
    I keep all kinds of containers too. A couple of ways to avoid the "hoarder" label are:

1. Limit the total of any one kind of container to 5 (or 10)
    2. Limit your total container stock to one tote or bin (or large moving box)

Quote Originally Posted by MSUICEMAN View Post
    this post has convinced me to get a lee app press. I was on the fence and this just knocked me over it.
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? This thing exists??? And it can do what??
    https://leeprecision.com/app-automat...cessing-press/

Why was I not informed?! I am outraged.

The APP is only $75 at Midway. Comes with three of those pass-thru shellholders (#2, #4, #19). But I bought the shellholder kit anyway. https://leeprecision.com/x-press-shell-holders/

It can remove military crimps, size boolits, decap, debulge. The die can be mounted upright or upside down. Utilizes the Lee Breechlock system, which I already adopted and adapted to my old Rock Chucker.

I thought I was looking at some custom-designed wonder machine, not an off-the-shelf Lee press that came to market March, 2020 with a suggested price of $110.

This discovery is by far the most valuable of this thread.

I thank you. My blistered index finger thanks you. My formerly filthy dirty left hand (from handling dirty brass during decapping) thanks you.

Boolit Buddy
    Will get on it! Need to figure out a casefeed for it also.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    @gws get yerself over to a big box store and find a plastic funnel. Fit it over the tube and cut most of the funnel away, you only need an opening of about 1.25”. You’ll triple your loading rate with no effort. I just mount it on the press and drop in cases as fast as I pull the handle, did 5 gal of 5.56 tonight in about 90 min, wasn’t in a hurry.

Ok guys enough thread drift. Back to the OP topic. APP has its own thread so does 3D printing.

Thank you.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Sorry you disagree but I stand by my comment.

His title is
    Frankford Arsenal Hand Deprimer for Mindless Process of Depriming
    And he is correct depriming is boring and in my opinion, matter what device you use.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Dang thread hijackers.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Sorry you disagree but I stand by my comment.

His title is And he is correct depriming is boring and in my opinion, matter what device you use.
    You are right I disagree, but I doubt you are sorry about it. I thought the OP was posting in hopes of finding something less boring. The longer you spend depriming the more boring it is. The pill bottle doesn't make the "boring" part any faster.

I erased all my other posts....hope that pleases you.
    But one question for you......what do you have against 3D printed tools and the APP? You don't limit any other tools to just one thread......back to your pill bottles....
    Last edited by GWS; 10-14-2021 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    You are right I disagree, but I doubt you are sorry about it. I thought the OP was posting in hopes of finding something less boring. The longer you spend depriming the more boring it is. The pill bottle doesn't make the "boring" part any faster.

I erased all my other posts....hope that pleases you.
    But one question for you......what do you have against 3D printed tools and the APP? You don't limit any other tools to just one thread......back to your pill bottles....
    I never say something I don't mean. I was sorry for the disagreement. As for erasing your other posts, I can't say I am pleased, but it is what it is.

I have absolutely nothing against 3D printing as I am looking into it and know there is a lot to learn. The APP is just another tool to accomplish an end to a means and is neither good or bad as far as I am concerned. If I felt I had a need for one I would buy it. The pill bottle was just a way to keep a tool from causing me problems and I felt other might like to see how I do it.

I have now violated my own request to keep it on topic so I sign off now and on my end this discussion is over. Let's just agree to disagree on this and move on.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Dang thread hijackers.
    I profusely apologize and will now go spank my hands.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Gentlemen! Please! As the OP, I'm seeking -- as Sean Connery said in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade -- "Illumination."

Thanks to you, I have achieved said illumination.

I have a greatly improved Frankford Arsenal hand decapper (thanks to Minerat) AND I discovered an inexpensive Lee APP machine that potentially does what I want done -- 1) fast, easy, automated decapping and 2) removing the factory crimp that ruins more primers than I'd like to admit.

This is why I posted in the first place. I may be two martinis into this post and am rambling, but I'm a happy man and can hardly wait for my new Lee APP stuff to arrive.

I've come so far since I got into reloading with my original single-stage RCBS Rock Chucker in the late 1970's (which I still have and use) in my goal to make reliable reloaded ammo, fast and cheap.

Depriming and removing that stinking factory crimp are the worst of my processes.

You guys -- all of you -- have greatly aided my goals.

Thanks.

P.S. I don't have a 3D printer and have no clear idea what you guys made with them. Perhaps I will understand when my APP arrives and I see devices that I could print.

For now, keep posting. It's all good!
    Last edited by Liberty1776; 10-14-2021 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Dang thread hijackers.
    Not a highjack. This is where threads go.

I simply posited that I use a blister-producing Frankford Arsenal hand decapper while I watch movies.

Minerat pointed out how I can use a pill bottle, which I did, with the mod taking only a few minutes.

Somebody else expanded my view to a much superior machine that does what I really want to do -- the Lee APP -- which was only introduced in 2020 by Lee.

It's all good.

Can't we all get along?

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I profusely apologize and will now go spank my hands.
    Don't you dare!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post
    Not a highjack. This is where threads go.

I simply posited that I use a blister-producing Frankford Arsenal hand decapper while I watch movies.

Minerat pointed out how I can use a pill bottle, which I did, with the mod taking only a few minutes.

Somebody else expanded my view to a much superior machine that does what I really want to do -- the Lee APP -- which was only introduced in 2020 by Lee.

It's all good.

Can't we all get along?
    For an even superior machine, check out the Rollsizer Automatic Decapper….

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12