Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range day with a Schoutzen rifle

Very interesting. I remember watching a Schuetzen match at our local range several years ago. Does anyone ever use the old Stevens No.44 or 44 1/2 actions, or are they mostly all after market repos? A co-worker that recently passed away had a No 44 22lr, that looked pretty cool, but I know it's not usable for those matches.
    Last edited by OBXPilgrim; 10-31-2021 at 07:10 PM.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by OBXPilgrim2 View Post
    Very interesting. I remember watching a Schuetzen match at our local range several years ago. Does anyone ever use the old Stevens No.44 or 44 1/2 actions, or are they mostly all after market repos? A co-worker that recently passed away had a No 44 22lr, that looked pretty cool, but I know it's not usable for those matches.
    There were some very lovely, and accurate Stevens 44's built specifically for .22RF matches back in the day. They would still be competitive if the bores are great. I had one I bought from a friend with a very heavy full round Badger .22LR barrel, chambered in a tight match chamber, and stocked with schuetzen stocks. It was one of the most accurate .22's I've ever owned.
    I've also owned several 44 1/2 factory schuetzen rifles, and they're good for a large number of CF rifle cartridges suitable for schuetzen match shooting. The 44 1/2 never was a large enough receiver to accept cartridges with larger rims like many .40-.45 caliber cartridges, but for the smaller .38-55 and similar sized cases they are wonderful.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Im using test tubes for powder. Im taking primed cases. I want to upgrade to a nice wood stand and traditional loading tools.

The gun is a 32-40.

At some point I want to buy an original Stevens Schuetzen rifle. I would like to shot a gun that was shot a century ago.
    My great grandfather shot matches around New Braunfels, Tx. Here's a pic of the Stevens 52 in 38-55 rifle he used (in my possession now).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xRAM_0986.jpg  

Boolit Master
    CPA built me a .30-40 Krag barrel for my original Stevens 44 1/2 (not a repro) that my great-grandfather purchased new in the early 20th century and used for .22 LR match shooting. The .22LR barrel is the most precise firearm I own and I love the Krag barrel. I use only cast boolits in it. I'd love to have one of their full production rifles! Beautiful gun - enjoy!
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    My great grandfather shot matches around New Braunfels, Tx. Here's a pic of the Stevens 52 in 38-55 rifle he used (in my possession now).
    Gorgeous rifle, and accessories! Great that it's stayed in your family too! I had a very similar Stevens 44 factory engraved, but mine was in .22LR version.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    When I do pre-charge cases at home, I still don't use anything over the mouth of the cases in the form of a wad. Too many horror stories of wads dropping down into cases and ending up on top of the powder causing chambers to be ringed, and ruining good barrels!
    I simply stand the cases base down in ammo boxes, and then I cut sheets of appropriately thick foam rubber to fit over the cases. Lay it over all the case mouths and close the lid. Then when I get to the bench I remove the foam and begin shooting.
    With smokeless powder loads I never find cases are so full that powder runs out when chambering them, so no need to chance a wad over the case mouth.
    With your Jerry Cleave-made priming tool, all you need now is a really cool old powder measure to use and re-use a single case at the range (like old HMP did ). I just happen to know a guy with an extra Ideal #5 with micrometer rotor.

The late, lamented IMR4759 was especially good for this as it was less likely to cause chamber ringing. I love it for 32-40 and am glad I’ve still got a few pounds of it left.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    I have a Harrel Benchrest powder measure. I need a decapping and capping tool.

I’ve been accumulating these tools for nearly 30 years now. PM me with info on what you are shooting as I may decide to “thin the herd a little.
    Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    With your Jerry Cleave-made priming tool, all you need now is a really cool old powder measure to use and re-use a single case at the range (like old HMP did ). I just happen to know a guy with an extra Ideal #5 with micrometer rotor.

The late, lamented IMR4759 was especially good for this as it was less likely to cause chamber ringing. I love it for 32-40 and am glad I’ve still got a few pounds of it left.

Froggie
    Charlie I have 3 number 5 Ideals, and one has the micrometer. Also a #6 Ideal, a couple Belding & Mull, a BP #55 Lyman, and a few others. I'm knee deep in old loading tools, and use many of them. But I don't use the #6 or my Schoyen-Peterson, since I don't shoot duplex loads.
    I've never been very good at passing old gun tools up if they're unique, and the price is right. It's a sickness I enjoy, and when I'm gone I'm betting most will get sold for pennies on the dollar.
    PS_I have another #5 Ideal headed to me from an ASSRA FS post. It was another variation I didn't have, but passed on it. Then JerryH lowered the price too far, so I had to add it too!

Boolit Grand Master
    I like that description Vall. Like you, I don't "suffer from" the tool collecting illness, I'm enjoying it! I'm beginning to think it's time to start spreading them around a little though... I don't have any descendants to pick up the schuetzen banner and carry it forward.

Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I like that description Vall. Like you, I don't "suffer from" the tool collecting illness, I'm enjoying it! I'm beginning to think it's time to start spreading them around a little though... I don't have any descendants to pick up the schuetzen banner and carry it forward.

Froggie
    I have sons and son in laws, but none seem all that interested in the weird guns and accessories I love too. They are polite and pretend to be interested when I'm to the moon excited about some new tool or single shot. But I try to recognize when their eyes roll back, and they begin to look around for another topic!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXPilgrim2 View Post
    There was someone, a doctor I believe, who had a set of museum grade rifles in three of the old schuetzen calibers, that shot at the San Diego club years and years ago. I always thought that he probably had more money than the government if he could shoot those beautiful rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    Beautiful gun Arion.

Boolit Master
    I acquired a de-capper/capper and Ideal #5 powder measure from a member here. It really made a difference in my shooting day. I used the same case all day. I love the powder measure. I took a few times to get the routine right. I really liked it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12