WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chronograph reader ?

Chronograph reader ?

Question. I see some chronographs have a lil dokicky attached to them that saves the shot string give you an average and you standard deviation. Wanted to know do anyone make one of these that's kinda modular with other chronograph? I have a calwell that's plugs I to my phone with a 25ft aux cord and it works..... somtimes. Would really like one of these little deals . Any help ?
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Looks like the Caldwell only has the phone app for data collection. Likely each company has their own proprietary format for the data, so you couldn't make one device that talks to them all.

One thing the magnetospeed does well is it has a nice little data collection unit that works really well. Shoot as much as you want, push a button to start new groups, pack it all up and go home. Later you can scroll through the sets at your leisure, and it gives you min, max, extreme spread standard deviation, etc. It also stores it all on an SD card, so you can pull it out and load it on your computer if you want.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

I've always just used pencil and paper at the range, but, I'm old (school).

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    Me too, but my Chrony (bought used) is so old that it came with fiber board aiming guides.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Me too, but my Chrony (bought used) is so old that it came with fiber board aiming guides.

Robert
    Mine came that way new but I upgraded to the sticks after one too many close calls. It still works just fine for my purposes.

Boolit Master

My old Chrony Alpha has remote readout and does all the calculations (shot string, max spread, SD, avg vel.) but doesn't save the data. I just keep a notebook in the carrying case and record the numbers along with date, load data, and which gun I was using for test. IIRC Chrony, at one time, did offer software and a USB adapter so you could download onto a laptop to save data but since they closed their doors, I doubt if it's still available.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine seemed to drain the 9V batteries pretty fast, so I kept a new two pack in the tackle box that I stored it and the tripod in.

I also had one milk carton of .22's that I shot out of the same rifle first every time I set it up, just to make sure it felt like working that day, and was reasonably close to nominal. IIRC that particular box usually ran about 1280 fps.

Robert
    Last edited by Mk42gunner; 10-09-2021 at 04:18 PM. Reason: missing letters

I am very pleased with the Caldwell G2 Chronograph.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016955798

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caldwell Ballistic Precision G2 Chronograph.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	289910

It is rechargeable and goes a long time.

It has Bluetooth connectivity back to my iPhone -- no cords -- and is fairly reliable. Lots of data captured. Calculates velocity, foot/pounds of energy and power factor based on bullet weight. Room for notes and you can even take a picture with the phone that associates with your target or other test items.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caldwell app screen cap.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	289911

The tripod it comes with is too light in my opinion, so I use a heavier duty tripod I already owned. Also, a ball leveling head lets me level the unit faster.

I understand that you already have a chrono' and I apologize for suggesting a chrono' that will do everything you want and then some. It has capabilities that no skyscreen unit has but also can't do some things that a skyscreen unit can. But since having mine I have thought for even a second to set up my CED unit. It sets up in minutes and can be used in the rain covered with a clear poly bag. Use the separate power unit they sell, or get your own. I did the latter. I have never regretted the power cells purchase or the purchase of the Labradar.

Yeah, I know it's expensive, but if you use a chrono' a lot it's worth every penny.

It saves data in .CSV format so many spreadsheets can import it directly. Mine can't but I just open the text file with Notepad and replace all the semicolons with commas (find and replace function) and I'm in business.

https://mylabradar.com/product/chronograph/

Tips:
    Choose the velocity window correctly or get funky data.
    Don't get it or the power cell wet, but poly bags are inexpensive. So far mine has been "rained on" twice protected by a thin poly bag. Don't get the unit itself wet. Yes, I checked with the Labradar people and they gave the poly bag trick.
    Get a sim card for it. Then plug the sim card into your computer to work on the data. Is a sim card required? No. But to save data it is.

There is also a phone app for it but since I don't have a smart phone I can't help there.

I absolutely LOVE(!) my Labradar!

The manual is online.
    Last edited by BJK; 10-09-2021 at 05:35 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

What's a ... pencil ... I'm not sure my smart-ass cell phone has an app for that .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Competition Electronics now has it all integrated and the phone app is real nice, lets you export to different formats or just a pdf. Mines a little older with the discontinued adaptor. I would not hesitate to buy another.

https://www.competitionelectronics.c.../chronographs/

Boolit Buddy
    The competition electronics unit works really well and has a great app that allows yo to save shot strings with load data listed Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B001F325-A4EE-4EEF-B956-AF2B0F652BBD.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	290004

When I get home from the range I use Excel to make the relevant calculations and memorialize the results.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    What's a ... pencil ... I'm not sure my smart-ass cell phone has an app for that .
    It's a pain trying to do load development with a semi auto ,shoot stop ,write shot stop write, re adjust on the gun again and a gain not really a problem if I'm buy my self but when their 5 other people at my little public range have to wait for me extra long because I'm writing it kinda a pain. Like being able to just shooting my string not have to re adjust after every shot and it's just quicker
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    I understand that you already have a chrono' and I apologize for suggesting a chrono' that will do everything you want and then some. It has capabilities that no skyscreen unit has but also can't do some things that a skyscreen unit can. But since having mine I have thought for even a second to set up my CED unit. It sets up in minutes and can be used in the rain covered with a clear poly bag. Use the separate power unit they sell, or get your own. I did the latter. I have never regretted the power cells purchase or the purchase of the Labradar.

Yeah, I know it's expensive, but if you use a chrono' a lot it's worth every penny.

It saves data in .CSV format so many spreadsheets can import it directly. Mine can't but I just open the text file with Notepad and replace all the semicolons with commas (find and replace function) and I'm in business.

Tips:
    Don't get it or the power cell wet, but poly bags are inexpensive. So far mine has been "rained on" twice protected by a thin poly bag. Don't get the unit itself wet. Yes, I checked with the Labradar people and they gave the poly bag trick.
    Get a sim card for it. Then plug the sim card into your computer to work on the data. Is a sim card required? No. But to save data it is.

There is also a phone app for it but since I don't have a smart phone I can't help there.

The manual is online.
    One of these days I'll have the $$$
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

I have a Chrony model(no longer in business) I used for rifle, no 'recording' so I used binos to read the screen and wrote down the numbers. Go home and do the calc. got a Magnetospeed now (rarely use either) Save to a card I can plug into the computer. Labradar is neat but much more $ than I need to spend. Fps numbers are good for working up a load and validating terminal performance for your load. ES is more important to me than SD. Like a ten shot group vs a 3 shot one.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post

Tips:

The manual is online.
    Understated.
    Let B***S*** to set up.
    Shot strings stay in memory
    And you never shoot the screens
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    It's a pain trying to do load development with a semi auto ,shoot stop ,write shot stop write, re adjust on the gun again and a gain not really a problem if I'm buy my self but when their 5 other people at my little public range have to wait for me extra long because I'm writing it kinda a pain. Like being able to just shooting my string not have to re adjust after every shot and it's just quicker
    How long ago did you download the app? The one I downloaded last month from Caldwell has automatic recording of the strings, does ALL the math you could want and records temperature, elevation and location if your phone supports it.

Just remember to hit Start on your phone. I shot a couple 10 round strings and got nada because I didn't hit start.

It even gives you time between shots and power factor. If they left something out I didn't see it.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 10-12-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Something I PMed Wolfdog91 is the app uses the microphone input on the phone. It shares the plug with the earphone output and if it's not fully seated, it won't work well. I had to shave a little plastic to get a plug to work with an Otter Box case.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I'm a dinosaur. Have an Olehr (spelling?) 35P that prints out all the info that I need. Three skyscreens one of which is a proof screen. with the supplied bar I mount it on an old camera tripod. Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast