Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .22 for Self Defense?

Boolit Master
    I know my own skill, and I am far more likely to put a big pile of lead center mass with our Marlin Mod. 60 than I am with any pistol I have ever shot.

I carry a S&W Mod. 60 (357), but if I had to carry my S&W Mod. 63 (22LR) I wouldn't feel undergunned unless I needed to protect myself from bears.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master
    So will this mean I will not get ridiculed for carrying 9mm pistols???

I somehow doubt that.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

I somehow doubt that.
    Maybe not but it won't be by me.

I somehow doubt that.
    Use what works for you and ignore the detractors. They will not be the ones defending you or your family.

Boolit Master

I somehow doubt that.
    We can't fix stupid, unfortunately... anyone who makes fun of 9mm has several solid decades of not paying attention under their belts, so chances are they're not going to give up now.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    I know my own skill, and I am far more likely to put a big pile of lead center mass with our Marlin Mod. 60 than I am with any pistol I have ever shot.

I carry a S&W Mod. 60 (357), but if I had to carry my S&W Mod. 63 (22LR) I wouldn't feel undergunned unless I needed to protect myself from bears.
    I have never taken to and learned to trust a firearm as quickly as I did a Marlin model 60 I bought in 2010. I've owned a scoped Nylon 66 since I was knee high and the Marlin has taken its place. The trigger is much better and loading is a tad easier. If I could just get the front sight hood to stay on I'd be in hog heaven.

Ditto on any gun is better than no gun. Carry the most powerful gun you can carry and shoot well. That said, I have had a small 22 pocket auto with me many times. I believe it is one of the assassination tools of choice for Mossad agents.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I carry a .22 often. Took a class at our gun club with it. Instructor chuckled at my choice (PPK/s) at the beginning of class but part way thru, he quit. I use the Browning HP ammo, but have been known to use Mini Mags.
    My hat is off to you. Anybody who can master that 10lb DA trigger pull and preserve their strong hand web while putting rounds on target with a PPK/s esta uno muy bueno pistolero!
    Last edited by Butzbach; 10-10-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Ditto on any gun is better than no gun. Carry the most powerful gun you can carry and shoot well. That said, I have had a small 22 pocket auto with me many times. I believe it is one of the assassination tools of choice for Mossad agents.
    Any gun is better than no gun IF it wporks. I unloaded my KelTec PF9 just before biringing it into the house (inqusitive 7 yr old grandson) and when I was sure it was unloaded, I pulled the trigger and there was NO resistance and it didnt snap. Just to be sure, I loaded it again and stepped outside and nope, it will not fire under any circumstances. That could have been a real thrill if I had to have bet my life on it!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    When I ride my motorcycle, summer or winter, leather jacket, or mesh jacket, there’s a Ruger SR-22 pistol in there. 11 rds in a lightweight semi-auto.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    When I ride my motorcycle, summer or winter, leather jacket, or mesh jacket, there’s a Ruger SR-22 pistol in there. 11 rds in a lightweight semi-auto.
    When I ride my bicycle, summer or winter, wick away fabric or layers, there's a 357 magnum Ruger LCR in there with three speed loaders (drop one, spill one, load one!).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Butzbach View Post
    My hat is off to you. Anybody who can master that 10lb DA trigger pull and preserve their strong hand web while putting rounds on target with a PPK/s esta uno muy bueno pistolero!
    I have a PP in .32 auto. The first round with the hammer down is the only DA pull on it, SA after that. Is not the PPK/PPks not the same?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Any gun is better than no gun.
    A .22 beats heck out of a rock, too. I fired for my CCW class with a Ruger Mk II, just for grins. Didn't shoot the center out, but the heart and head had some pretty neat clusters on them. No flyers. For a couple of decades, that was the only firearm I had.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, PPK/s is the same. DA first, SA afterwards. Just like the Beretta 21A I sometimes carry (Gets fed WWSX 22HP)

Boolit Buddy
    I have had a small 22 pocket auto with me many times. I believe it is one of the assassination tools of choice for Mossad agents.
    IIRC, back in the day, OSS and CIA also used suppressed Hi-Standard 22s for that kind of thing. (Not that assassination is strictly legal and all anymore, mind you)

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    For most sane people getting shot with anything is a significant demotivator. For the crazies, druggies and the highly motivated even a center mass 12 gauge slug may not provide a instant stop. An LE friend of mine put a slug through a bad guy's lung while it killed him he was on his feet for at least 30 seconds but turn and ran away before piling up.

Interesting read here https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/sh...-happens-next/
    Very true. Most evil doers are not prepared for a retaliatory strike. They are the wolves preying on the sheep. Nice to see when the sheep make them tuck tail and run.

^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Yep, properly placed, it works quite well! Many a hog or cow has been transformed into table fare with a well placed 22 RF bullet! Not my first choice....but, often extenuating circumstances dictate our selections! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Buddy
    As a statement of fact. A .22LR WILL kill a human being. In a hunting accident in 1958, my uncle shot his best friend by accident while rabbit hunting. Body shot, don't know. Head shot, DOA.

I saw a Youtube video where a guy was testing different ammo in a 2" pocket gun, in ballistic gel. he couldn't get expansion with any HP ammo. He even tried CCI Stingers, a flat point round would be better than the 40 gr. round nose. HP are pretty much a waste of money.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    Had several shootings I worked as a LEO that involved .22s...no one survived...three at least were DRT and one made it to the hospital but died...

My "defensive" .22 is a Beretta 87 Cheetah. Just a beautifully made gun. Has been used in easily a 100 NRA Basic Pistol classes and no one ever reported a jam or misfire. I carry it sometimes on woods walks. Forgot to take it off when I got home so rather than switch out guns I took it shopping...still have it tucked IWB...hardly know it's there.

This one is loaded with Winchester PowerPoints that are a 40 grain HP, but I don't expect them to expand. The other "carry" load I use is the CCI Small Game Bullet.

Have had several students that ended up with the same model due to either physical issues or recoil/noise aversion...

It works.....

Bob
    Last edited by RJM52; 10-15-2021 at 10:18 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast