Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: My first .44

My first .44

In January of 1990 Mrs. Thumbcocker said she would be Mrs. Thumbcocker. We got engagement gifts. This was mine. Like an idiot I traded it to a friend once for a Marlin .44 lever. A while later he gave into my pleading and sold it back to me.

It will never leave my possession again. Over the years it has had its internals polished, a steel ejector rod housing, a belt mountain base pin, a .45 colt front sight,, and a Bowen rear sight installed.

It is the gun I got my first handgun deer with and the gun I first hit a target (railroad rail plate painted orange) at 200 yards with.

It has been shot a lot, see the pic of the cartridge print on the loading gate, and dry fired God only knows how much.

It shoots pretty good. Thought you all might like to see it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Cool! I have your guns,distant cousin,same age,but 45,,same gun though,and mine has an awesome casehead mark on the gate,as well.

Boolit Master

Very nice. (Smart of you to grovel enough to get it back!)

What did the .45 Colt front sight do for you?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Banned

Very nice!

Moderator Emeritus

My kudos to you! I have a similar, albeit in .45 Colt, and had exact same thought as you in seeking a Bowen rear sight for mine. I ordered it from Bowen in FEBRUARY.... and pretty much still have high hoped before the letter carrier makes its daily mail delivery. (Your post has motivated me to again ring them with a "what's up with my order?")
    geo

Congratulations on getting it back. Waaaaay back in 1974 my wife gave me a New Model Super Blackhawk as a wedding gift. I would NEVER consider getting rid of it...she would use it on me before it got out the door.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Very nice. (Smart of you to grovel enough to get it back!)

What did the .45 Colt front sight do for you?

Cat
    The Bowen sight gave a much better sight picture bud didn't go down as far as the factory one. The .45 Colt front sight allows for a lot more adjustment and let's me zero with heavy boolits.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Ahh yes, thanks for the answer.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Cool. Thanks for sharing. That front sight, is it pinned on like a stainless blackhawks? I’d love to have my 44 special converted to a pinned front sight just so I can play with different front sights.

Thanks for the info on the Bowen rear sight too, is that what they call their rough country?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    My kudos to you! I have a similar, albeit in .45 Colt, and had exact same thought as you in seeking a Bowen rear sight for mine. I ordered it from Bowen in FEBRUARY.... and pretty much still have high hoped before the letter carrier makes its daily mail delivery. (Your post has motivated me to again ring them with a "what's up with my order?")
    geo
    A "thank you" is in order, as I emailed Bowen. But a short time later they sent this reply:
    "We certainly apologize about the delay. As luck would have it, we have gotten our Flat top sight back in stock. If all the details from your order are still current we can get the order headed out first of the week."
    Whoopie whoopie! Again, had you not posted, I wouldn't had contacted Bowen. Funny how things sometimes work....
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Cool. Thanks for sharing. That front sight, is it pinned on like a stainless blackhawks? I’d love to have my 44 special converted to a pinned front sight just so I can play with different front sights.

Thanks for the info on the Bowen rear sight too, is that what they call their rough country?
    Yup it is pinned. A good gunsmith cut off the original front sight and milled a slot for the replacement.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing!

Does the Bisley give one more clearance from the trigger guard to the middle finger knuckle?

I shoot a Redhawk and Super Redhawk (in 480) and my 629 Mountain gun with not much grief but both the round trigger guard and the square ones in a standard SBH just raises cob with me.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Thanks for sharing!

Does the Bisley give one more clearance from the trigger guard to the middle finger knuckle?

I shoot a Redhawk and Super Redhawk (in 480) and my 629 Mountain gun with not much grief but both the round trigger guard and the square ones in a standard SBH just raises cob with me.

Best regards

Three44s
    There is no middle ground on the Bisley frame. It is totally love it or hate it. I love it.

With the Bisley frame recoil is more straight back into the heel of the hand. The gun doesn't turn up. Some folks like the plow handle grip because it turns up but I do not like for the gun to twist.

With a two handed grip on a Bisley the middle finger on my shooting hand doesn't get smacked by the trigger guard. It took a little getting used to but I would never go back.

Banner Sponsor

If you're interested in different front sight blades, you might want to look at Fermin Garza's web site. I think he has lots more options than what is listed on his site. I picked up a few different designs just to have on hand.
    https://fermincgarza.com/shop

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    A "thank you" is in order, as I emailed Bowen. But a short time later they sent this reply:
    "We certainly apologize about the delay. As luck would have it, we have gotten our Flat top sight back in stock. If all the details from your order are still current we can get the order headed out first of the week."
    Whoopie whoopie! Again, had you not posted, I wouldn't had contacted Bowen. Funny how things sometimes work....
    geo
    I've never dealt with Bowen and maybe their reply is the truth, but it seems that all of a sudden when you remember to get in contact with them, they happened to get them in stock. I think they lost or misplaced your order and only looked for it when you inquired about it. Again I may be wrong but it smells fishy. I'm glad your order is in though.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US