MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Scrap Yard Score! (Pictures)

Boolit Master

Scrap Yard Score! (Pictures)

I made a trip to my local scrapyard yesterday. I intended to look for some pure lead for slug casting. They usually have some lying around. I couldn't fill my bucket fast enough when I opened the lid of the dump container. A large spool of solder, probably 2-3 lbs and a folded up ball of solder, at least 4 lb. After I pulled those, I then noticed a couple unmarked solder bars, and full bar of pure tin! What a score! All for $.40 a lb. And I picked up 30 lb of nice roof flashing that's as pure as snow. I can almost tear it with my hands. This is the 3rd time I've scored tin solder at this yard. If you have one in your area, it might pay to drop by from time to time.

One bar (two small pieces) is stamped "cast iron solder". It is very hard, but clearly a lead alloy. Any idea what it might be? Also, the birds nest of solder has a darker hue to it than the spool. I'm not a solder expert, so I'm unsure of what that implies. Any input appreciated.

I seem to remember a topic being discussed previously regarding a member here who offers metallurgy testing. Is there a member or place that will do this for a reasonable price?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211007_155936.jpg   20211007_155856.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Does the Scrap Yard have an X-Ray scanner?

Since you buy from them ($$$$) they may scan one or two pieces for free.

The Tin bar is self evident.

Sort the remainder into similar lots and melt down enough to cast a few clean ingots for analysis.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Master

That's a good idea Dave. I have doubts, as it's a small town yard. It's actually built in the corner lot of a dairy farm. Worth a ask though.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    That's a good idea Dave. I have doubts, as it's a small town yard. It's actually built in the corner lot of a dairy farm. Worth a ask though.
    not that good of an idea! after they scan it and realize they are giving away tin/tin alloys for cheaper than cheap they just may start paying attention to what goes an out of that bin.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    One bar (two small pieces) is stamped "cast iron solder". It is very hard, but clearly a lead alloy. Any idea what it might be? Also, the birds nest of solder has a darker hue to it than the spool.
    The darker solder- is probably kind of old, and/or doesn't have much tin in it.
    Old rolls of 60/40 and even 50/50 would turn gray after a couple years.
    It's been on the way out for a long time, and is sort of hard to find anymore.

Since about the 80s, you had to use 95/5 on Copper water lines to meet code requirements.
    Every once in awhile you'd run into copper drain lines where you could still use Lead based solder,
    but it was so rare- it wasn't worth the trouble to go find a roll of it. So everybody just used 95/5 on it too.

The cast iron solder was probably marketed to Plumbers putting together the old school cast iron sewer lines.
    What little bit of it I did years ago, we just used more or less pure Lead with a few feet of 95/5 to help the flow.

Depending on the application, there may have been some places where the higher alloy stuff was called for.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Great Score! And you can't beat the price.

Member BNE still does XrF testing. PM him ( me! ) for the details.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    You're lucky to have a scrap yard that will sell lead. A few years ago I tried to buy lead and cartridge cases that had been turned in, No Go. The guy told me there was a federal law that prohibited him selling any of it to private parties. He could only sell to authorized recyclers. Even most of the local tire shops wouldn't sell wheel weights to individuals. I even tried the local radiator shop. They too said they couldn't sell to anybody but a recycler. I just walked away thinking "I wish the government would quit trying to save me from myself".
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    I think all boolit casters are recyclers.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    My scrap yard stopped all sales to the public several years ago. You're lucky. Happy hunting!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Man
    The same shady folks that don't have a problem buying catalytic converters from thieves.

Boolit Master

^^^^^^^
    Or copper wire stripped from new constuction
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill