MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Red wing boots

Banned

never read it but ill have to find a copy. We had pictures of them running a new 69kv line through the seney swamp. Its 50 miles of half swamp half ponds that the only vehicle weve ever got to run it end to end in the summer is an argo with tracks that floated. Snowmobiles would do it in the winter but twice we had to leave a machine in the swamp till summer. One we never found. Either someone else found a way to get it or its sitting on the bottom of one of those ponds. Some of those poles were set in ponds that are 50 yards square. They did it all with man power and horses. 50 foot poles but all dug by hand. It is hands down also the most mosquito infested place in the world. Elephant grass up to your head in most places. I still dont know how they dug those poles in in the middle of a swamp. They had to have somehow put in a round piece of culvert and pumped it out as they did it but with no electricity and no generators back then even the pumping had to be by hand and all the poles set with pole gins and horses to pull them up. Only other way i can think of is jetting them in but i dont see how they could have a water jet that big witout power either. We did here they used many trucks of dynamite in that job. All that 4/0 aluminum wire with a steal core strung in by hand and man handled on the poles by men climbing. I think i was a hard worker but if i showed up to that job site id have to have some awful hungry kids at home. It used to be a nightmare every time we got a trouble call because that line was down. We had a caravan of off road vehicles and even boats we took out there. If a pole was broke in one of those ponds we had to call in contractors with REAL equipment. Read an early book on the first couple decades of lineman and one out of four will killed on the job.

I was in the closet down in basement today and happened to open up my aluminum Stonewell 24x36x15 foot locker that I used to travel with when my work had me outside of my Local for a job and I found a pair of boots I forgot I even owned,a pair of 15” tall steel toed climber/lineman boots made by Whites of Spokane Washington. I greased them up with my own personal boot grease blend that contains beeswax,bee propolis,pine&spruce pitch and Huberds boot oil. Greased them up and wore them today from 0730 until I got home from the farm shop around 5:30 and my feet were still pretty comfortable. Whites are expensive but you are getting a boot that’s custom built and fit for your foot.
    J.m Shrader

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234