Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red wing boots

Boolit Buddy

Red wing boots

These boots just aren't what they used to be. I'm definitely going back to thurgood boot when these are toast. What do you guys think? Red wings used to be comfortable like slippers the sizes were accurate and didn't change year after year but now it's a crapshoot

Boolit Buddy
    The work boots or the heritage stuff?
    My blacksmith's boots are holding up well and comfortable. Though they aren't my everyday wear.

My work boots are okay. I wear tall ones for ankle support. The leather on vambrace Is always the first thing to go tho. Replace these once every 3-4 years or so.

If I plan on doing any climbing I wear a merril hiking shoe. The redwings have absolutely no grip when walking on a pitched roof. The redwings are suicide up high

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    The work boots. The thing I hate most is that the pieces with the lace holes one boot cinches up where they are touching and doesn't get tight but the other foot there is space between when it's tight. I know my feet are not drastically different in thickness. Also I think the leather is thinner on the toe because it wears out quick.

Boolit Buddy
    It's about half as thick on the toe, its stretched over the steel toe I think. On mine the tung is ruffled up stupid looking but i dont mind so much. I haven't had issues with getting the laces right

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

I stopped buying Redwings when the company was sold to Justin boots. I’ve worn Redwing 4418 steel toe,9” insulated lineman/logger since I got out of highschool and started my apprenticeship. I take care of my boots,resole as needed. 4 or 5 years ago I went to get a new pair and was informed that everything but the heritage line was either killed or reworked for production in Asia/Pacific rim. Man said I can show what replaced it. Uncomfortable garbage with a sticker price of $475,not me. I’ve since been wearing Reddawgs made in Canada that I order out of the Bailey’s catalog out of Northern California.
    J.m Shrader

Boolit Master
    The leather in the USA Redwings seemed to go downhill and I switched to USA Chippewa only to have them banned in california which was a good thing because I found Synthetic Vietnamese Danners that are THE most comfortable boot I have ever warn!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Got a pair of Red Wing King Toe I bought in 2011 and they are comfortable and held up very well.

Boolit Master

Just got a new pair of Red wings not looking good.

I had a pair of Red Wings 7-8 years ago and the steel toe cap was too narrow.
    They darn near crippled me!

I switched over to Chipewah and a second pair from the Cape work shoe & boot company.
    'American made with American materials'.
    They were great, being size 13E, they're kind of heavy, but they wore and fit just fine.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I had a couple of pair of Redwings, but they didn’t hold up for me. I switched to Whites and it was worth the extra money.

Super Moderator

Danner Boots have served me very well over the years. You need to make sure they are the made in U.S.A. ones though, not Chinese made. Red Wing used to be good too, but I think now they're all made in China as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I had a couple of pair of Redwings, but they didn’t hold up for me. I switched to Whites and it was worth the extra money.
    If your going to spend money and be on your feet all day Whites are a good investment
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

The best pair of work boots I had were a set of Danner duty boots Several pluses to them the steel toes cuos are the d style not he c type which with a heavy impact gets pushed thru the sole. This pair had both the laces and zipper on the side. made getting on and off quick and easy. ( when I broke my ankle they were able to unlace and unzip to remove, instead of cutting it off). A occasional oiling they were going on 4 years soles were still good and uppers looked good.

At the time Danners were still made in USA. Best purchase I made from cabellas bargain cave.

WOW I cant believe you guys have boots long enough to resole.

20 plus years ago I used to wear Redwings but couldnt get over 9 months max of life out of them. Wolverines were the same.
    Switched to Danners and started getting 2 years before they were done. When the sole is slick the leather is done. And yes I do oil them.
    Been wearing American made Danners ever since but they are going downhill.

I quit Red Wings almost ten years ago and switched to ThoroughGood and even there you have to be careful and buy the U.S.A. made boots or you'll get chinese ''quality''.

Boolit Master

Don't wear 'em every day but I've had the Redwings I wear for hiking/field photograpy for 10-12 years with no complaints. Noticed the other day that the tread's become pretty shallow and heel edges rounded off so it's getting close to time for another pair. Didn't know the company had been sold (to Justin) but probably won't be going back to local Redwing shop for replacements.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    When I worked in the trades, I found my steel toed boots would last about 3 years. Can't remember the brand, but they were US made. The issue was that the lining would wear out, while the outside still looked pretty good. These boots would cost me about $150. My wife thought they were too expensive. Did the math and came out about $1 per week. Pretty reasonable for comfortable steel toed boots.

Boolit Grand Master
    This is sad to read. I have been wearing a pair of Redwings daily for six or seven years and they are just now starting to show wear on the sole. Sometime in the next decade or so I'll probably have to replace them.

Robert

This is my last pair of redwing 4418s.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5847292-023A-4DB3-9876-8A5F25B0AB6C.jpeg 
Views:	365 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	289881
    J.m Shrader

Boolit Buddy
    The Redwings I buy are #3507 Union made in the USA and always last 6 to 8 years.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast