Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side charging AR ?

Boolit Master

Side charging AR ?

I have recently gone heavy to the dark side and gotten into some AR projects. It caught my attention that AR type receivers were available without the charging handle at the rear of the receiver , but they have a charging handle on the bolt carrier sticking out the right side of the receiver.( Also I have seen left handed variants.) I have acquired two. One is 223 Wylde and one is 300 Blackout. I have not fired either one yet but they look like solid outfits. I like the idea of the charging handle in a familiar place , like on my shotguns and 22 rifles, I like the receiver not having the forward assist sticking out. I don't mind there not being a spring loaded door over the ejection port. I liked the fact that they were priced with the BCG as opposed to most other outfits being sold without a BCG. And they seemed pretty reasonable to buy. So have I asked for trouble getting these ? I have them installed on regular AR lowers and they seem to function well with dummy rounds. Is there anything I need to watch out for with these uppers?
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    I have yet to shoot mine either. I opted for a left hand receiver and that may have been an error too many years reaching over the receiver to get the op rod on M1's and carbines. Mine came from Bear Creek and seems to have half an inch more charge handle then I will ever need. That makes for some extra reciprocating mass. Also I need an allen wrench to pull my bcg, not sure if will ever matter for me but it's another thing to consider.

Boolit Bub

What style of bolt handle ? If it’s the round style you may have trouble with it coming loose after steady use that's why theye came out with the Gen 2 .

DAN

Boolit Master

I have one and have not used it yet. the main problem I find is the parts are not interchangeable with regular ar's, its a special bcg. I believe in the old 2 is 1 and 1 is none principal so I keep standard ar's and parts as my primary defence weapons.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

The 300 has the round handle with a screw through the middle. the Wylde has a hook type with a screw through a flange out in front of the hook.

The guy at the gun store I was in a while back used the saying you quoted above. " 2 is 1 and 1 is none" when my son was quizzing me about why on earth are you getting another one of those? He had to think about that.

Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

I have one from Bear Creek, SS spiral fluted 18'' barrel, flat top upper with a rail all the way to the end of the aluminum handguard, 1:8 twist.

The good is it was less that $350.00 shipped on sale, it functions flawlessly, it's almost as accurate as my N.M. upper that cost a lot more, and it has the look I wanted for a semi-sporter type build. I put a 3-9X Weaver on it plus pop-up irons.

I can't say anything is ''bad'' about it, it's different than what I'm used to for sure. To pull the bolt carrier, you do have to take a screw out to remove the charging handle then unscrew a plug with an O ring and the bolt carrier comes out. I certainly wouldn't want this type in a firefight, but it's okay for a sporting rifle and something I wanted to try. The barrel is heavier than normal giving it a lot of weight forward, but accurate as well. It shot some old steel case 62gr. Wolf ammo with similar accuracy as my N.M. and some 55gr. Greek surplus very well, ( I never shot any 55gr. in my N.M. for comparison).

All in all, I'm pleased with it for the money spent.

or try one of these, my buddy has one on a rifle that has a low scope and is a pain to grab the charging handle and it works well

https://devildogconcepts.com/side-ch...handle-system/

Boolit Master

Ha!! I watched all the videos and really liked the concept . I was really taken by the armorers wrench especially with the comment " of Course it also has the bottle opener" . That guy, Bob, is great and a good salesman.

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    Bottle opener? Did this thread just jump to the Galil?

Quote Originally Posted by .455 Webley View Post
    Bottle opener? Did this thread just jump to the Galil?
    I think he's talking about the wrench.

Boolit Master

Yes ,,, it is a cool tool offered by the game guy making the side charger add ons . devildog concepts.

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Bub

I guess you know the bolts are the same in rear charging and side chargers but the lefts are different . It's the BOLT CARRIER’s them self that are different

Boolit Master

You guys are costing me money! I had to get one of the Devil dog adapters for my scoped .300 Blackout AR. You can get to the charging handle but it is awkward. Please quit finding things I did not know existed and now need.

Banned
    just get an adjustable gas block, turn the gas off and voila side charging AR..

However they cant be called ARs

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post
    just get an adjustable gas block, turn the gas off and voila side charging AR..

However they cant be called ARs
    Why is that? The AR in AR-15 stands for “Armalite Rifle” after the original designing company not assault or automatic rifle.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Well, you're choosing to run a non-standard system. With the straight AR or a 1911, you've got a universally accepted mil-spec blueprint. You're operating in the land of "We reserve the right to change whatever, whenever, and good luck to ya on finding spare parts after we do"

The currently accepted method of running an AR pretty much keeps the right hand on the pistol grip to run the safety and trigger, and the left hand performs pretty much all other operations except tapping the forward assist after a chamber check or the "S.P.O.R.T.S." malfunction clearance drill. The left thumb and knuckles of the left index finger take over running the charging handle from the old Vietnam right-hand "rabbit ears" technique. Took me a little time to get there after living in bolt action and Garand mode, but it's a better way to live with that system. If you're reloading with a slap to the bolt catch anyway, pulling back the charging handle isn't something you'll be doing much of anyway - keep the right hand where it's ready to make loud noises.

Brownells has kinda, sorta resurrected the AR-180. That rifle extended the bolt-attached charging handle somewhat upward - probably to accommodate the lefties, but also good for the "new method" of keeping the right hand at the trigger. Don't know how "AR-180 standardized" those parts are, but at least it's a standard of sorts, and the mechanism has always had a following among those that can't warm up to the AR-15's direct gas system. Might be an option for you.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy

I built a 20" heavy barrel rifle in 6.5 Grendel. I have the BCA left side charging handle. I have put about 200 rounds thru it and so far no issues.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Why is that? The AR in AR-15 stands for “Armalite Rifle” after the original designing company not assault or automatic rifle.
    unless it is made to specs in the little blue book at the Colt or FN factory, it dont qualify..

Boolit Master
    Bunk Theory,
    Actually the Armalite Company (still in Geneseo,IL?) OWNS the trade name Armalite Rifle. Not Colt or FN.
    I think the term "AR-15" has pretty much become a "universal/generic" term by now
    beltfed/arnie
    Last edited by beltfed; 10-18-2021 at 06:04 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    Bunk Theory,
    Actually the Armalite Company (still in Geneseo,IL?) OWNS the trade name Armalite Rifle. Not Colt or FN.
    I think the term "AR-15" has pretty much become a "universal/generic" term by now
    beltfed/arnie
    last i checked the armalite company was a trade name now, just used to slap a label on stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast