WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Side charging AR ?

Banned

i pretty much use aftermarket tactical handles on everything. It cures the problems with even scopes on an ar. That said i might build one on a bear creek side charger just for something different. Truth be told ive shot so much ar in my life that id bet the side charge would screw me up more then help.

In actual shooting, Lloyd. All it does is provide you with a second option of releasing the bolt, you have the same bolt release on the left side, plus you can yank the handle and release it on a fresh magazine if desired, like on an A-K and use it as a forward assist. They don't have a deflector, so they kick the empties out to the right rear like an M16 A-1 does. I used mine so far with some old steel case Wolf ammo and Lake City ball, both functioned flawlessly with no fumbling around. They are somewhat bothersome to take the bolt carrier out for cleaning though, the screw on the handle must be removed, and the stopper nut at the rear of the upper that prevents any excess gas from blowing back.

It is accurate, second only to my DPMS Panther Arms National Match upper. I bought the 18'' heavy spirial flute upper and used an M16-A1 type butstock to give it some balance. Not trying to talk you in to one or out of one, I think they make a more, ''sporting'' type upper and that's the way I built and treat mine. I have other A-R's for defending the homestead.

Boolit Master

One of the reasons I got one of the Devil Dog attachments is because you can always remove it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    In actual shooting, Lloyd. All it does is provide you with a second option of releasing the bolt, you have the same bolt release on the left side, plus you can yank the handle and release it on a fresh magazine if desired, like on an A-K and use it as a forward assist. They don't have a deflector, so they kick the empties out to the right rear like an M16 A-1 does. I used mine so far with some old steel case Wolf ammo and Lake City ball, both functioned flawlessly with no fumbling around. They are somewhat bothersome to take the bolt carrier out for cleaning though, the screw on the handle must be removed, and the stopper nut at the rear of the upper that prevents any excess gas from blowing back.

It is accurate, second only to my DPMS Panther Arms National Match upper. I bought the 18'' heavy spirial flute upper and used an M16-A1 type butstock to give it some balance. Not trying to talk you in to one or out of one, I think they make a more, ''sporting'' type upper and that's the way I built and treat mine. I have other A-R's for defending the homestead.
    Like is said im so used to a standard ar that my hand finds it automaticaly. Dont really care about using it as a forward assist because i dont use the forward assist on an ar. If i have a malfuntion its tap and rack. I dont want to drive a bad round deaper into the chamber. If i do build one it will be just because ive got so many ars that are the normal type and just wanted to try something different. Actually its hard to justify because like i said it might even screw a guy up in the middle of the night because the controls are different. Like you eluded to its probably more of a thing for a sporting rifle then a defense gun. Its got to the point that its hard to justify ANY more ars in this house. could have said that 5 or 6 rifles ago but I just get a kick out of building them.

I don't even use an A-R for a house gun, that's how my M-1 carbine and Ithaca 37 riot gun earn their keep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12