Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are balloon head casings safe?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    Well someone would be a fool to try and shoot old "Folded-Head Balloon-head" cases. They were bad enough when newly manufactured, much less trying to shoot them at over 133 years old.

I have discovered that there are variations of the semi-balloon head cases with Winchester and Western cases as far as balloon pocket size. My pre-1884 44-40 unheadstamped cases have a large semi-balloon "pocket" while some WRA cases have a little smaller pocket area. The smallest pockets I have seen are the Western cases (which is shown with the split). Actually some later 44-40 cases of this manufacture have a small "hump".

Aside from the very first Milbank primed 44-40 cases (reported never released), the folded-head, balloon-head 45 Colt cases are another story.

Just to be clear, I am talking about the size of the balloon head pocket inside the case....don't misunderstand and think I am referring to the primer pocket. Winchester's very first packaging calls out "Solid Head" referring to the new semi-balloon head cases.

Attachment 290083Attachment 290086
    good clarification here !! that "dominion" brass was definitely number four .................large rifle primer pocket tho
    I have a buddy who swears black and blue that starline brass is semi balloon head (no4) - and thus holds two more grains of BP, he's 85 yrs, part mule, and will not have it that the optical illusion he sees when he squints into a new shiny case ...is just the light faking him out.

Boolit Master
    why in this day & age do the MAG-TEC people in BRAZIL still use balloon head brass in there process oh doing it? any answer?

Boolit Buddy
    Probably because someone told them the market for that brass is with the CAS crowd and most of them will be loading their 12 ga brass with black powder. Just a guess of course.

Dave

Boolit Master
    are any other brass made CTG'S made by CBC, made with BALOON HEAD BRASS HULLS? I don't think they made them in BALLOON HEAD because of the CASS, had any influence on the make up of the brass that they produce? they just seem to use them because any of AMERICAN ORIGIAN. are cost prohibitive, and I don't know of any Co. that makes 12 GAUGE brass hulls? jmho.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12