Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 686 Any info

S&W 686 Any info

I have a Smith M686-1 with a 2-1/2" barrel 6 shot stainless. I can not locate any info on it . The serial # is odd (ANTO 12X)
    Any help will be greatly appriciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211006_115240 (2).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	289753

Boolit Grand Master

That sounds more like an Agency inventory number than a S&W serial number. Was it stamped on the heel of the butt?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Could it be ANT zero, not O?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

I have tried both ways Zero and O I have the Standard Catalog for S&W and could not find it there. the # is the same on the butt as in the crane.

Boolit Grand Master

My -2 starts with BAS, so no way they were at 4 letters in the -1. And according to the catalog, ANT is too low for the range. Very odd indeed. I hope someone more knowledgeable has information to add.

Boolit Master
    My 686-1 starts with AVZ

Boolit Grand Master
    Your Serial number is ANT 012X. A 686-1 with that number would have allegedly been produced in late 1986 or early 1987. S&W went to a 3 letter, 4 digit numbering system cerca 1980.

( I have read that the 686-2 was introduced in April 1987 but I would take it with at least a grain of salt--any frame with the serial number would have been completed when it was needed, not necessarily in order.) Smith was not very diligent in marking their revolvers consistently. Not all letters were used to completion, and letters were not used in strict alphabetical order.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    my 686 no dash serial number is AAR followed by 4 numbers......when was it made?

Boolit Grand Master
    S&W sells example-specific information on a given serial number to help fund the Collector's Association. Even in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, serial number ranges within a year or so are about as accurate as public info gets. As Glen points out, consistency and date-sequencing are kinda scatter-shotted.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Thanks that does clear the serial # up as a 3 letter 4 digit. My brain didn't make the connection. I researched the

ANTO and it didn't make much sense. ANT fits a lot better
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

It’s still way too early for the serial range listed in the Standard Catalogue. They state the earliest example as A-S-S (dashes for the censor on this clearly not a cuss word post).

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    It’s still way too early for the serial range listed in the Standard Catalogue. They state the earliest example as A-S-S (dashes for the censor on this clearly not a cuss word post).
    Thanks
    The way I understood it was that the (A) was for Aluminum and the (T) was for Target models Nothing about the (N)

Boolit Grand Master
    Standard Catalog of S&W, pages 490 and 491 give as good a summation of the modern "Three Alpha/Four Numeric" S&W serialization regimen as i have seen anywhere. It started in 1980, and its first recipients were the then-new L-frame revolver series (Models 581/681/586/686). The "ANT" serial prefix sorta fits in the 1986/87 timeline, but only a letter request can nail this down specifically. That letter will include shipment date and recipient in its text.

The "rules" for serial number and model number designations have morphed a bit over the years, but receiver metal composition was for a time delineated by model number prefix (revolvers) or suffix (autopistols). Your Model 686 (prefix "6") indicates stainless steel receiver composition.

Fun, huh?
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Fun yeh. At least with all of the help I am getting You all have pinned it down.
    Im going to get my book and read pages 490 and 491. It should make more sense now.
    Dave

I have a 4 inch (Actually 105.14MM) No Dash which originally went into service with the US Customs Service AWPXXX. This gun also has stamped CS MOD which indicates the cylinder gap was reset by S&W as indicating the Mod was completed. The CS guns are rather rare but seem to have barrels greater than 105MM which is the shortest barreled handgun we are allowed up here. They sell for a premium price. If you have one check the barrel length.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Hi Bob, I was curious and checked a few of my 4" S&W. Mod 10-8 was right at 4"
    others: a mod66-1 and mod13-2 measured 4.12" or 104.65mm..
    That's pretty close to the minimun.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    Hi Bob, I was curious and checked a few of my 4" S&W. Mod 10-8 was right at 4"
    others: a mod66-1 and mod13-2 measured 4.12" or 104.65mm..
    That's pretty close to the minimun.
    Dave
    Thanks Dave for checking. Every 686 I know of that has a 4" barrel longer than 105mm are the US Custim guns. When Smith made up the original order a bureaucrat in the Customs Dept. insistee they be assembled with a very tight cylinder gap. Smith apparently did them up under duress. It was not long before the guns were jamming yo due to lead and powder build up in the gap. The guns were sent back to Smith & Wesson. The barrels were replaced with a wider gap and marked ?MOD" above the serial number near the crane. I know of three of the guns. My buddy has one, I have another and there is a third over in Pr. George. My friends gun has been cut for moon clips by a gunsmith over in Pr. George. I have ni idea how many of the guns were imported into Canada when your Feds disposed of the guns. I assume most remained in the US. They are all No Dash 686's.

Tomorrows our Thanksgiving. Wife is busy making our Turkey dinner for this afternoon. Our oldest is home this year so I have lots to be thankful for.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Bub
    Bob,
    Just to add some data. My two 686 no dash guns:
    Purchased: 2-82 6" s/n AAC85XX and 1-84 8" ACK36XX

They've seen little action in the last 30+ yrs, but look purty in my safe.
    LouB

Boolit Master
    My No dash 4"686 is ABB

Rick is your No Dash 4" one of the US Custom Guns? It would have "CS MOD" just above the serial number near the crane. If it is would yould you pleae measure the barrel length.

Take Care

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast