Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herter's hand loader

Boolit Master
    thinking back to days when I used only one of those loaders. things sure were different. most guys, well I guess mostly guys, my mom was a pretty darn good shoot with that old 222 and took out quite a few critters. but things really were different most people had a couple maybe a few boxes of ammo and used it for a purpose. seems like deer hunters used a box of ammo could last a couple or few years, a couple shots to check zero on scope and one maybe 2 rounds actually killing a deer or 2 each season. there were very few people that would go to a range and shoot up hundreds of rounds. there were precision shooters that dedicated their lives to competition. but for most of us mere mortals a lee or herters hand loader or a simple single stage loader was all that was needed to refill that box or 2 of ammo. somewhere between then and now things sure did change. last time I went to a public range there were probably about 20 people firing off as many rounds as fast as they could. the purpose or meaning of shooting I guess maybe has changed.
    for us that remember using those hand loaders and the simpler gear of the era and like me looking at the catalogs that came in the mail with want in my eyes I still sure do appreciate the gear of old.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    I Googled "Herter's" to try to find a little more about them & their demise. I could not find anything "mob" related. Could you expand on this? My last name doesn't end in a vowel if that puts you more at ease.
    That MOB, is really an acronym for the powers that be (were then), ie: the Kennedy and the then era gun control crowd that created tyhe ;'68 act that in reality put Herter out of business!

Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    That MOB, is really an acronym for the powers that be (were then), ie: the Kennedy and the then era gun control crowd that created tyhe ;'68 act that in reality put Herter out of business!
    Got ya. Thanks guess I need to stop watching reruns of the Sopranos.

Boolit Master
    I'm not familiar with what put herters out of business. but time mag did a pretty good summary of what gun control legislation has taken place in past and the NRA position and involvement in the laws we have
    https://time.com/4431356/nra-gun-control-history/

Boolit Master
    In 1965 while in the Army in Germany, I bought a Herters model 3 press and some powder, primers and bullets and had them shipped to me to reload for a new .243 Sako Deluxe with the silver engraving on it that sold for $128. There was another with a minor scratch that was for sale for $85 but was the same caliber so I didn't want it and didn't have that much money to spend anyway. At that time anything we wanted was shipped to us and a bunch of us did a lot of loading to try to get the best groups but compared to now we didn't get too accurate. All of the Herters equipment worked well though and was easy to buy. At that time I carried all the guns back home in a duffel bag with the guns taken down and the only thing I was asked was, are any of them loaded. When I came home it was in about January 8th in 1968 and I wasn't supposed to be able to carry guns like that but they let me. At that time Herters was the best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12