RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Optics on pistol cal.levers?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Is that Skinner scope made in China? I have a Leupold knock-off out of China. The jury is out as to whether the thing will hold zero or not. I would assume the Skinner is much better quality. The way Chinese products are priced you never know if you are paying to much or they are great value.

Take Care

Bob
    A red flag was it has a 5 year warranty. Most have a lifetime warranty that is transferable. I would not buy that scope.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I haven't tried the Skinner optic but Andy Larssen is pretty good at answering emails and I'm in another online group where some of his customers have been pretty happy with his scope.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

So I decided to switch from mounting the Vortex Viper, to mounting a Vortex Spark ll. I had both lying around, so at least I didnt have to spring for more money and an optic. I went to a local department store with a sporting section, and bought a Weaver front mount for my 94AE Trapper. Just finished cleaning the oil from the tapped holes in the receiver, and using blue lock-tight on the mounting screws to hold the mount. The optic hangs over the ejection port about .5, but doesn't hinder the ejection of the empty 45 Colt cases. I'm leaving town tomorrow until Saturday. When I get back I'll load up some rounds and give a range report.
    Last edited by littlejack; 10-13-2021 at 02:05 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    So I decided to switch from mounting the Vortex Viper, to mounting a Vortex Fastfire ll. I had both lying around, so at least I didnt have to spring for more money and an optic. I went to a local department store with a sporting section and bought a Weaver front mount for my 94AE Trapper. Just finished cleaning the oil from the tapped holes in the receiver, and using blue lock-tight on the mounting screws to hold the mount. The optic hangs over the ejection port about .5, but doesn't hinder the ejection of the empty 45 Colt cases. I'm leaving town tomorrow until Saturday. When I get back I'll load up some rounds and give a range report.
    That would be a Burris Fastfire 11 I think.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    the red dots are nice but I dont completely trust anything with electronics and batteries. I put leupold 2-7 or vortex on lever guns that I would take out in the woods to kill something with. maybe its just my luck with Murphys law, when something can go wrong for me it usually does.
    but I became a true believer in the Burris fast fire when they first came out got one and just for fun put it on a 10-22. plinking at the range after zeroing it at 100 yards. a little bird came and landed on the target frame. without even really thinking about it I had the red dot on bird and in blink of an eye it was big puff of feathers. they are very easy to sight targets very fast

Boolit Master

Oops, my bad Bob. Glad you caught that. I stated the manufacturer (Vortex) correct, but it is the Spark ll red dot. "Correction made" I have one of those on my 45 acp JRC. Works great.
    farmbif:
    Yes, there are pros and cons on the red dots and scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    Oops, my bad Bob. Glad you caught that. I stated the manufacturer (Vortex) correct, but it is the Spark ll red dot. I have one of those on my 45 acp JRC. Works great.
    farmbif:
    Yes, there are pros and cons on the red dots.
    I spend half my time correcting my spelting when I post. LOL I have the Sparc11 on my 1894 as well. Very fast target acquisition.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

Thanks Bob, that's encouraging.

Boolit Master
    Had the original SPARC on my 357 Rossi carbine. Recently, changed it to the Sig Romeo 5 because of the shake to awake feature. For load testing I use a Vortex Scout 2x7 in QD mounts. My 1894 wears a Leopold 1.5x5 with a lighted reticle.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy

I have 2 Marlin 1894's -a 357 & a 44. For the Marlin XS makes a scout rail setup, and I have the older version with standard XS peep in rear scope mount holes and forward scope holes is rear of scout rail. Most of the time the peeps are used. I have a Burris scout on the 357 and a Leupold scout on the 44, I actually like the Burris better - just my preference. They are mounted with Leupold QRW rings which allows the scopes to come off in about 2 sec and go back on in about 8 sec. Not sure what prices are today?

Boolit Master
    i use a cheap AGS scope on my 357 win trapper working fine for the past 20 years .tried a ghost ring and larger front sight but couldn't see the front sight unless i was in strong sunlight.

Boolit Master

I have been very impressed with Holosun for duty guns - from the two perspectives of (1.) they thought of just about everything you'd want in a field combat optic and (2.) in the couple instances where we did need service, they were Johnny on the Spot getting it resolved. There are several agencies and industry "Gurus" out there who specialize in systematically torture-testing red dots to see what breaks, and the Holosuns consistently land near the top of the heap.

The 507C is probably your best bang for buck in a pistol optic. The 509T is an enclosed emitter design that might be preferable for field use. I went from the former to the latter on my Glock and moved the 507 over to my Ruger MKII where the dust and grime of CCW life is not a factor. Both have a 2MOA aiming dot and 1MOA W & E adjustment increments.

I mounted a Holosun HS515CM "tube type" red dot on my Ruger 9mm carbine & it's the bee's knees. Clear glass, clear lens caps even, and solar backup to the crazy-long battery life. That gets you into a 1/2 MOA adjustment system more appropriate to a rifle. You'll want to remove the AR-15 riser from the base to get its height down on your levergun.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Range update:
    Tuesday of this week, I went to the gun club to try out the Vortex Spark ll I mounted on my Winchester 94AE Trapper in 45 Colt. I had used blue loctite on the screws to mount the Weaver front base last week before going out of town, so the loctite was well set-up. On the bench shooting, I discovered that the Spark ll was high enough above the line of sight, that a cheek riser would have put my dominant eye better in line with the red dot. But, even as it was, with the minimum recoil of the 45 Colt round, I didnt get slapped around at all. The red dot was very easy to pick up, with the sky being overcast. But every once in a while, the sun would shine through, and I would have to turn up the red dots brightness. I do have astigmatism in my right (dominant) eye, so the dot is not exactly round. It looks very similar to a small comet. So, I usually have the brightness turned down, to lessen effect of the "comet". It works. I also found that a black circle target, works better than a lighter colored target. The distance from my eye, was far enough that I wasn't concerned about any parallax. The Spark ll does hang over the ejection port about .5" but with the angle eject system of the extracted fired cases there was no issue. It does require snappy movement of the lever though. So, the only downside I can find with the red dot system, is bright sunlight. Unless of course, the battery dies.
    Last edited by littlejack; 10-24-2021 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper003 View Post
    I just purchased a Henry lever in 44 mag. My 84 yr. eyes demand an optic of some kind. Thinking red dot of some kind but can’t decide what.I don’t want to spend 1000$, more like 150 to 200$ I do have cheap reflex & tube type both ,just to play with but want something better on this gun.I have looked at the 1x6 type but the good ones all seem to be in the 1200 to 1500$ range. Did find a couple Round 300$ but brands I never heard of.would appreciate anyone’s thoughts or advice.
    If you can find a 2 1/2x Leupold for a reasonable price, that would get my vote. No batteries to run down or forget to turn off. a 4x compact Leupold or Burris would work fine too. Every manufacture seems to be catering to the 1K yd crowd these days with scopes a bid as a spotting scope. The smaller optics like these, as well as the red dots keep the balance of the rifle reasonable.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    I tried a red dot on my Rossi 92 44 mag. Switched it out for a Burris scout scope. I like it pretty well.

Boolit Master
    I like the idea of a red dot with the long life batteries, but my astigmatism makes the dot look like spaghetti thrown on the wall. My wife doesn't have this problem and the small red dot works fine for her on a 16" stainless Rossi .357 Mag. I wish Nikon still made scopes and that their small 2x pistol scopes were available. I have one on a 20" Rossi .357 and it works well. GF

Boolit Man
    Turnbull dovetail base has worked great on my mdl 94. i will be switching to a red dot w/ auto shut-off,
    and large buttons....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    If you can find a 2 1/2x Leupold for a reasonable price, that would get my vote. No batteries to run down or forget to turn off. a 4x compact Leupold or Burris would work fine too. Every manufacture seems to be catering to the 1K yd crowd these days with scopes a bid as a spotting scope. The smaller optics like these, as well as the red dots keep the balance of the rifle reasonable.
    This is why I use the Leupold 1-4x shotgun scopes with heavy crosshairs. If you haven't looked through one of these, you should before dropping coin on a red-dot sight. No batteries, no problem with the dot disappearing on sunny days, a wide open field of view when set at 1x (same as a red-dot) with the advantage of up to 4x magnification. And, yes, they are bulletproof - no pistol caliber carbine is going to put them out of comission, not even a 454 Casull.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    I think this Leupold Freedom Scout scope would look right at home on any lever rifle. It has the benefit of slightly longer eye relief which is a plus for older eyes.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020316289?pid=703698

Not a lever action, but a Henry single shot in .357 Maximum. Mine carries a 4x Compact Leupold. Works well within the limits of the cartridge. hc18flyer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast