RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Model 94 XTR "big Bore" manufacture date ?

Model 94 XTR "big Bore" manufacture date ?

hey gents, ive tried some searches but found misleading info regarding the big bore model, could anyone shine a light on what year this particular model 94 BB was made??
    BB0466XX

its a .375Win.
    Cheers from AU
    Model 94 XTR .375win (38-55+p) - Australian Sambar Deer Hunter.

I've been familiar with Big Bore 94's since their introduction.

The .375 BB94 was introduced in Sept 1978, and Winchester made roughly 10,000 per year - so yours would have been made in the 4th quarter of 1981 or early in 1982, before the production was switched from the top-eject M-94's to the Model 94 AE (Angle Eject)

There were a few BB94AE's .375's made in 1982, before the .375 was discontinued in favor of the .307 & .356 Winchester chamberings.

All the early 94AE's lacked the lawyer safeties, which later changed to a crossbolt safety (CBS), then the tang safety.

The reason for various answers is that the BB94 SN's were separated from non-BB94 production, have the "BB" SN prefix - but for some reason missing from every DOM reference I've ever come across..
    Last edited by pietro; 10-27-2021 at 11:06 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HD.375 View Post
    hey gents, ive tried some searches but found misleading info regarding the big bore model, could anyone shine a light on what year this particular model 94 BB was made??
    BB0466XX

its a .375Win.
    Cheers from AU
    I had one of those many moons ago - stupidly sold it - do not do that !!!

Boolit Master
    oh yeah and the top eject model has been proved substantially stronger than the AE .

Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=HD.375;5287332]hey gents, ive tried some searches but found misleading info regarding the big bore model, could anyone shine a light on what year this particular model 94 BB was made??
    BB0466XX

Greetings! I have a .375 Winchester Xtra Big Bore similar to yours, bearing serial number -- ready for this ? -- BB0431xx -- indicating mine most likely came off the assembly line roughly but three hundred rifles before yours! According to my notes, I purchased it in September of 1978 and it was manufactured in April of the same year. This is contrary to Post #2 -- and he may very well be correct. I believe my info came -- the latter from my receipt, with the former date from lady who ran the gun shop from whence I made the purchase.
    In any case, you may rest assured it was made in 1978. Incidentally, I -- along with it -- purchased (and never shot) five boxes of Winchester BB .375 ammo... white box with blue lettering. I gather these are sort of rare nowadays...
    I shot/shoot cast bullets using a .38-55 mould, with IMR 3031 as my powder of choice. A fun firearm for me -- I reserved a .30WCF lever (Marlin 36) for huntin'.
    Congrats vis your .375BB!
    geo

Thanks fellas!

so ive owned this Rifle since i was about 17-18, Im now in the early 30s somewhere.......... it was sold to me as a 'useless sambar gun, but good for pigs" .................. the guy at Elks shop didnt know what he was on about really , not that is uncommon...

I've stashed away one Box of Factory Ammo for it- Very expensive down under an rare ish
    purchased 200 Brass for it many moons ago and have a 37-250 mould (which i dont use yet) and I use this thing , no safe queen , grown quite fond of it these days and to be honest, without knowong much back then..... the 375 has been the most ideal Cartridge i could want.

i didnt wanta 30-30 but i also didnt want such a big 45-70..... i looked at the 375 crtridge next to a 444 cartridge, as both were on the shelf , both model 94s from memory? an i chose the slightly smaller 375

Very interesting, but safe to assume 1978-81 era

Thanks, keen to hear anything else yas know on the topic

I've got serial no.s BB0156xx and BB0468xx, both purchased in a discount store in California in 1983. I also have AE17624 which is an angle eject BB, (included here because of the AE in front of the serial no.) in .356 Win. I guess Win. thought that the .356 and .307 rifles were more likely to be used with a scope, and switched from the traditional carbine style butt stock to one with a really high comb. It really looked out of place and replaced it with the old style.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I guess Win. thought that the .356 and .307 rifles were more likely to be used with a scope, and switched from the traditional carbine style butt stock to one with a really high comb.

It really looked out of place and replaced it with the old style.

The 307 & 356 BB94's were issued with either standard buttstocks or the hated "canoe paddle" Monte Carlo buttstock.

I was lucky to run across a .356BB with the standard stock & no extra safeties besides the lever safety that's been in place since 1894.

I'd keep looking.

There's a sight that list manufacture dates for Winchester by model and groups of serial numbers.
    I didn't book mark it, but I found it awhile back to date a 1950's era .30-30, and a late 1940's issue .22.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I ordered a semi-inlet from Boyd's and specified semi-fancy grain. When it came it was a bit nicer that I thought it would be, and nicely matched the forearm. I finished it up with a rubber butt pad and a semi-gloss finish. The way I came about this one was that a customer ordered it, and when it came in it had a bad scratch on the right left side of the receiver and the customer turned it down. I reblued it, but to less of a gloss than the original finish, maybe about 320 grit. The whole job looked just great, and it shot well, so I kept it. Actually, I wouldn't say that it would be the last rifle I'd part with, but it would certainly be the last lever action I'd part with. I really like the .356 cartridge. As for the take off stock, it was very plain, straight grain walnut, but has a nice color, and since then (about 20 years ago? ) I've thought that it might be a challenge to turn the original "canoe paddle" into a regular stock. Pretty sure I could do it, but maybe someone might come along that wants an original......

DG

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'd keep looking.

There's a sight that list manufacture dates for Winchester by model and groups of serial numbers.
    I didn't book mark it, but I found it awhile back to date a 1950's era .30-30, and a late 1940's issue .22.
    One of my favourite Winnie source is at: https://winchestercollector.org/dates/
    However, it is not a complete listing -- but, they do answer a high percentage, I would think, of queries.
    FYI
    geo

I dont know about the BB94 model, but 94s had( have) a stamped barrel date hidden by the forearm.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I dont know about the BB94 model, but 94s had( have) a stamped barrel date hidden by the forearm.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Thats first ive heard of this with the BB , ive done one or two of the winchester dates i got from google an put it down in the 78-81 ish class from memory, that was a while back.

Moderator Emeritus
    I saw a Big Bore 94 in 375 Win at a Pawn shop and had no idea what the caliber was. I did a little research and bought it the next day. I don’t think it had a box of shells through it. It has had quite a few go through it in the 10 years or so I have owned it! It’s a favorite…

I did put a Williams peep sight on it. The holes were already there.

When I checked the year, it was early in the production.
    Last edited by garandsrus; 10-31-2021 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

FWIW, during assembly, Winchester 94's were barreled with any barrel the assembler grabbed from a large parts bin of barrels, accumulated as they were produced...…. whenever.

Ergo, it's been documented that not all Winchester 94's have a date mark on the barrel.

Winchester didn't start date stamping Model 1894/94 barrels until about 25 years (early 1920's) after production started.

There's no way to know how long a particular barrel might have remained in one of the barrel parts bins (different bins for different models and/or chamberings)

The best way to determine a Model 1894/94's DOM (even a BB94) is when the factory records show that it left the Finishing Dept and moved to the warehouse to await shipping wherever.