WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Nef frames

Nef frames

I have a NEF 50 cal muzzleloader with the iron frame that has what looks like color case hardening on the frame. My question is IF I find a 12 ga rifled barrel, would it fit and be safe to use. Would a 20 ga barrel fit?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

If the muzzleloader is a #209 primer type, it will work- if the barrel fits. It may require fitting. You won't know until you try.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Once upon a time, not that long ago, you could send a frame in to have barrels fitted to it for a song and a dance. In reality they likely had a pile of them, and tried them until one fit.

Now, with people trying to sell H&R barrels for $400+... and you can buy the entire rifled shotguns like the H&R Tracker II for $200 (I bought both 12 and 20 gauge for $125 each back in winter 2020), it makes no sense to chance barrels. Even the Ultra Slug Hunter can be had for under $400. Heck, you can walk out the door with a brand spanking new Henry single shot rifled shotgun (12ga only) for about $450. I've tried buying barrels for H&R/NEF, and I've never got one that fit. I even tried to make one fit, and ruined it.

If I recall the Huntsman was a shotgun that could be fitted with a muzzleloader barrel, but the Sidekick was muzzleloader only and didn’t require a 4473 . Not sure if there is actually a physical difference. There are some experts over on Graybeard outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Once upon a time, not that long ago, you could send a frame in to have barrels fitted to it for a song and a dance. In reality they likely had a pile of them, and tried them until one fit.

Now, with people trying to sell H&R barrels for $400+... and you can buy the entire rifled shotguns like the H&R Tracker II for $200 (I bought both 12 and 20 gauge for $125 each back in winter 2020), it makes no sense to chance barrels. Even the Ultra Slug Hunter can be had for under $400. Heck, you can walk out the door with a brand spanking new Henry single shot rifled shotgun (12ga only) for about $450. I've tried buying barrels for H&R/NEF, and I've never got one that fit. I even tried to make one fit, and ruined it.
    Buying one and counting on it to fit sounds a little iffy since you had those results.....and Murphy's Law applies. Thanks for the heads up. I'd like the Henry if they would make a 20ga slug gun. I have two artificial shoulder joints and the 12 ga slug guns are not as much fun as they used to be. Neither, I might add, is my 358 Norma. Thankfully it shoots cast at reduced velocity well.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

CVA makes a 20 ga single shot slug gun. Anybody had any experience with one of those. It's only going to be a range toy and something to try cast and handloads in. I am currently granting the whitetail population a reprieve!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The 10 gauge version I believe is the only one that has a bigger frame. I was given a 10 gauge 20” cylinder bore barrel a few months back. It won’t fit into my tracker or tracker 2 frames. Wish I could find an action for it.