Load DataInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: How to shoot when developing a load

How to shoot when developing a load

When doing load development do yall shoot as you would in the field ie, off of bipods or off more of a target shooting deal like a lead sled,front and rear bags ect ? I see some saying it doesn't matter ,others saying it messes with harmonics and you'll have different groups if you do development one way then use it in a different manner. For inside say 1000yd or non bench rest competition does it really matter ?
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

A lot of this depends on the gun and how you'll rest the front of it, but the only thing that truly matters is that you take the human element out of it as much as possible for load development. For example, my CPA 44-1/2 silhouette gun gets shot off of shooting sticks on the null point of the barrel, so if I'm working up a load, I'll rest the null point of the barrel on the front rest to replicate how the gun will be shot. Leverguns get rested on the very rear of the front stock, bolt actions get rested on the stock.

I'm of the thinking that you should shoot it as close to possible as you would in the field, but as the same time, eliminating as many variables as possible. So for the most part, I shoot off a bench with a bipod and rear bag. I test the LOAD first, then the "rifle system" once I get settled to see if anything changes.

It seems silly to do load development shooting from a headstand leaning against a tree, peeing in your sock, even if you that's how you'd shoot it in the field.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Off a bench or similar, off of bags, or whatever gives you the steadiest hold. That's the only correct answer for load development.

Boolit Master

Off a Bench with a good set of bags and or shooting rest , eliminate all the human out of the trials , once you have load worked up shoot from what you will use in the field .

"One" aspect of bench guns is their ability to return to battery,so to speak. Wide flat bttm forends,with highly developed( can be $$$) rests that allow for uber consistent recoil processing. Silky smooth bolt opening and closing. Impeccable bench manners.

Thaaaat's probably not gonna happen with a sporter stock in 30-06. Didn't say "can't",just that it presents challenges.

I've found that X bags represent a very nice compromise between the two. I will also say,with some exceptions.... free recoil isn't gonna yield your best shooting with typical hunting rigs. Big boy varmint toys,ehh..maybe. So,learn to pull the forend down pretty durn hard in the bags/sticks/whatever.... and firmly back into your shoulder socket. Lots of dryfire practice with a quality trigger can significantly bump up your scores too.

Boolit Grand Master

From posts #4 and #5 above....they nailed it.

"Off a bench or similar, off of bags, or whatever gives you the steadiest hold. That's the only correct answer for load development."

"Off a Bench with a good set of bags and or shooting rest , eliminate all the human out of the trials , once you have load worked up shoot from what you will use in the field."

Once the load is developed off a proper rest then zero using that load from the steadiest "field" position...usually a supported prone position or sitting and off bipods if they will be used.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Off a bench resting on a Bull X type bag (butter fly) front and rabbit ear rear bag.

For my coyote shooting especially longer ranges, I use the same but in a “jump” situation, I am resting off the hood of a truck or any other flat enough surface that will make do.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not looking for rifle accuracy to .5 MOA, but for my handguns (99.9% of my shooting/casting now) I take me out of the equasion as much as reasonable. I have a Caldwell front rest and I shoot seated at a table. I rest my guns or hand on the rest, depending on the gun, and I shoot a minimum if 10-15 rounds of the tested load per session and normaly give a load two or three different sessions, minimum (I have plenty of components and like reoading)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    Off a solid bench with proper technique is best. Make no mistake just propping your elbows on a picnic table and holding the rifle is not the same as a real shooting bench and sandbags.

Prone with a sling is almost as steady as off a bench, as long as you know how to get a proper shooting position.

The ground is almost always there, not so a real shooting bench.

Robert

IF....you are shooting a lever gun and the magazine tube is attached to the barrel, I've found that it is best to sight it in with a full magazine tube if you intend to hunt with it that way. Not so much with short magazine tubes that are supported by the forend alone. On bolt guns, my experience is that the front bag is under the recoil lug, especially if the rifle has a forend pressure point against the barrel, aLa Remington 700's, works best. This is for a bench rest and rear bag set up. No matter what you use, do it the exact same way every time.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I do load development from the most repeatable stable position I can create for the rifle, with lever guns this varies a little from bolt guns. After I find 'THE LOAD' for a rifle, I sight-in from a stable position and check for differences from sitting, kneeling and off hand/standing and adjust for the average hold from field positions, depending on typical positions used for that rifle and quarry. I also use more powerful optics for load development, 4.5-14, 4-16 then change to 1.5-5, 2.5-8 for field use. Field shooting may not provide time to get into your favorite shooting position or the right terrain and setup. Elk in the timber, antelope where the sage is deep, and places with prickly pear and other stuff that sticks you can make sitting a painful adventure even when needed, prone doesn't work very often for much game that requires walking or 'foot' hunting. Good load development lets you get the best from the rifle, then practice and practice more. An MOA rifle off the bench may be a 15 MOA rifle off hand (bad trigger) while a 2MOA rifle may let you shoot 6MOA (trigger and fit) offhand. Both should be checked.
    Last edited by MostlyLeverGuns; 10-06-2021 at 02:32 PM.

Depends on your goal. If you are trying to compare the relative accuracy of different loadss then by all means take the human factor out as far as you can. Good solid bench, sandbags, and as perfect trigger control as you can.

If, on the other hand, you already have a load and you are sighting in for hunting do away with the bench, bags, etc.. Adopt a position you will likely use in the field. Could be sitting, could be prone, could be standing. That depends on what you are hnting and where. Sight in using those positions. and you will no be sorry when an opportunity presents itself. Think about small game hunting. Squirrels you will most likely be shooting uphill using a makeshift rest if possible. Bunnies aree different. Same goes for deer vs. pronghorn, or bear.

Just my two ceents.

Jim

Boolit Grand Master
    I cannot shoot well enough to use standing, kneeling or sitting positions to evaluate a load...even if the Lord Himself were to decree that is the right way.

There is no way, I can shoot from the prone position for 99% of the hunting shots I may get.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    ...There is no way, I can shoot from the prone position for 99% of the hunting shots I may get.
    No arguments from me on that Don. The OP asked about developing loads which at least implies a range or something very close to it.

As a kid reading hunting magazines in the late 70's/ early 80's, it always puzzled me how they always recommended prone or sitting for shots in the field at game. Where I mostly hunt, if you sit down you immediately lose sight of a deer. In fact I can only think of one deer I shot from a kneeling position.

I have shot quite a few using a tree as an improvised rest though.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Use the steadiest rest available to eliminate as many variables as possible. After you have a load you are happy with, begin practicing from other positions.

Boolit Master
    What are you trying to do and how accurate do you intend the load to be?

For most pistol work I do little accuracy 'development'. If I can keep my shots in a fist size group at the ranges I shoot at then I am satisfied (15-20yd). That is off hand, slow fire.

For rifles I shoot from a good bench rest setup. Front cast iron style rest and rear bag. Benches are steel and in concreted foundation. I am trying for better than MOA with cast and 1/2MOA with jacketed.

If I am going to hunt with a rifle I will sight it in from a prone position with bipod, then will shoot it from standing to verify POI.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Use the steadiest rest available to eliminate as many variables as possible. After you have a load you are happy with, begin practicing from other positions.
    I mostly do pistol shooting. I have an MTM pistol rest I use when working up the best load for a particular revolver. Like he said "to eliminate as many variables as possible".
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    ^^ That!
    Develop the load first.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.