Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Berger Moly bullets

Boolit Master

Berger Moly bullets

Hello fellow members,
    Don’t know if this is the right place to post this so mods if this is the wrong place please move it.
    Well here goes. I have a box of 22 caliber Berger 52 grn hp bullets. I know nothing about moly bullets. Do you load them like any other 52grn bullets? Is there any reason not to shoot them out of an AR? Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

Moly has fallen out of favor somewhat but it works as claimed. You need a slight powder increase to get the same velocity.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Thanks M-Tecs. What is it like a high tec coating?

Boolit Grand Master

I only coat with Hexagonal Boron Nitride currently but still have moly coated bullets and I use them as if I need that bullet weight.

https://www.6mmbr.com/bulletcoating....0the%20shooter.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-06-2021 at 12:32 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I'm a fan of moly bullets, as it allows me to shoot more and clean less. Say goodbye to copper fouling with 3000fps jacketed bullets....

Moly is a super slick coating. When it first came out they suggested you treat your barrel with liquid moly then shoot the moly bulets. Some said later that it caused rusting and pitting. I have shot them for the past 10 years in my Ruger M77 .22-250 varmet with on problems, but I live in a dry climate, clean after EVERY time it is shot with a 50/50 mix of shooters choice-kroil. I run some 40 gr up to 4000 fps with no fouling. If you only have a few and do not plan to go to them full time just load, shoot, but clean very well when done. I use a moly lube on many of my cast pistol boolits too.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

It's Molybdenum Disulfide - an inorganic compound that exists in nature in the Mineral Molybdenite .
    It is similar to Graphite and usually seen as a slick dry lubricant and has been used as a surface coating for parts in the Aero-Space industry .

The stuff likes to adhere to metal surfaces and has a high melting point . Seems like the coated bullets have fallen out of favor ... once a barrel has fired and /or been treated with moly the stuff sorta ruins the barrel for shooting other non-moly treated bullets / boolits and does somethings to accuracy . For a while moly was all the rage but " It's all over now " .

No real reason not to load & shoot the ones you have ... one box isn't going to contaminate your AR15 , you might want to scrub it with a good intense bore cleaner when done ...
    I would just use my favorite data / load for regular 55 grain projectiles ... no sense trying to develop special loads if all you have is 100 .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the info guys!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    ... once a barrel has fired and /or been treated with moly the stuff sorta ruins the barrel for shooting other non-moly treated bullets / boolits and does somethings to accuracy . For a while moly was all the rage but " It's all over now " .
    In dozens of competition barrels firing tens of thousands of bare, Moly coated or Hexagonal Boron Nitride bullets I have not found that to be true. Is that something you just read or do you have actual experience with "sorta ruins the barrel for shooting other non-moly treated bullets"?

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    In dozens of competition barrels firing tens of thousands of bare, Moly coated or Hexagonal Boron Nitride bullets I have not found that to be true. Is that something you just read or do you have actual experience with "sorta ruins the barrel for shooting other non-moly treated bullets"?
    I agree, personally I have not seen a fall off in accuracy between moly vs non-moly in my .22-250 even during the same range session. I get legitimate 1/3 moa groups with both types at the range and kill ground rats out to 500 yards regularly.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member